Where in Cali to install clutch?

JibStyle

Stockton
Reaction score
Hi guys. My clutch has started slipping a lot shifting into 1st and 2nd gears and I want to get a new one. I'm not sure which one yet but probably something good for 400 or so bhp (I already hear Spec stage 2 is a bad idea). Anyways, can anyone suggest any good, professional places in the SF area or Sacramento area where I can work out the details of what parts I need and where they can install a new clutch in my car? I hear that installing a clutch in a Mustang is a pretty big deal, so I don't wanna trust this with some random shop in Stockton that has never even installed clutches on a 05-09 Mustang before! Thanks.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
its no big deal at all. ive done 3 in my driveway. anyone can do it. Go with a spec 3+

JibStyle

Stockton
Reaction score
Ha I don't think I could do it. The only things I've successfully installed in my car are an amplifier and a CAI, and I'm quite proud of those two jobs. Could I trust a shop that doesn't specialize in mustangs? A couple of my friends work at or know of some good auto performance shops out there and say they could do it, but I don't think they really have any experience with newer mustangs and/or clutches.

JibStyle

Stockton
Reaction score
Thanks I'll give them a call soon (going on vacation tomorrow). So I've been doing some research, and everyone seems to be happy with the spec 3+. Would I be okay with this clutch even though I'm not even producing half of the torque it's rated for? Would that translate to worse driveability, or does it just mean the clutch will last twice as long? I plan to go FI one day but that may not be for a few years.

Anyways, from what I understand, I should buy (correct me if i'm wrong or forgot something):
-Spec stage 3+ kit, 10 spline (idk what the splines are but this seems like the right one if i'm not sure)
-A ford racing pilot bearing
-A new OEM slave cylinder (how soon will my stock one wear out?)
-A new aluminum flywheel
-upgraded line kit (is this really necessary?/what is this?)

Thanks for the help guys, this forum really is a great resource :)

Ford Power

forum member
Reaction score
I went with centerforce DFX clutch, I also here ram is awesome.

When I replaced mine, all I got was the clutch kit including pressure plate. A lot of people replace the throwout bearing, slave cylinder, blahblah, I didn't cause they were good, so...

crazyhorse

Reaction score
I would recommend AED. Shaun and Drew do an awesome job with mustangs. They work on just mustangs. They installed the clutch in my Mach and had it back in a day.

Advanced Engine Development
4325 Product Drive
Shingle Springs, CA 95682

uniquestang

forum member
Reaction score
i havent lived there for about 7 years but i used to use Force Fed Performance. are they in business anymore?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back