wheres your tow hooks

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
As I get my car ready for open track events. One of the requirements is to have a tow hook "visible" if something happens. I dont see one for our cars. What have you done for this issue

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
What group are you running with that requires a tow hook for HPDE events? Granted, it's an excellent idea, but for the general purposes HPDE is designed for, it's a bit like requiring a 4-point in a closed car, or a fire bottle... Make sure you're not mixing HPDE and competition rules together.

That said, there are no nifty tow points built into our cars, like there are on BMW or Mercedes. Best that I've seen is the setup run on the FR500's, where the front bumper beam is replaced with one with a tow hook mount that pokes through the front fascia(M-17757-A), and the rear bumper beam that goes through the middle of the license plate recess in the rear(M-17906-A). Both provide hard-point mounts for the M-17954-A tow loop.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Its not per se a HPDE. Its just a track day. Its put together by speed ventures in southern california. I was reading the requirements and it said a tow hook must be visible on all cars.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
If it's non-competitive (ie no win/lose calculation), then it's a lapping day, aka HPDE, aka track day... Okay, that's cool. I would seriously question them on the tow hook issue, since for MANY cars, it is not a trivial addition. I can't think of a common US-designed car from this millenium that has factory provisions for tow hooks... Not the GTO, not the Mustang, I don't even think the Corvette has threaded hard-points. It would be worth asking. FWIW, many organizations are very flexible about stuff like that. For example, NASA "requires" a 1qt overflow bottle for the radiator, which is also impossible for our cars without hardware replacement to suit. That is waived almost universally in the HPDE-level cars, as well as TT. Not so for the racers, but... Drop them an email, or call them with that specific question. If nothing else, it will tell them that you actually read all the material and are taking it seriously! That's usually good enough for a waiver right there... Be prepared, though, that if you stuff the car somewhere deep enough to need "the hook," they probably won't be gentle yanking the car out...

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
foolio,

I go out with speedventures as often as I get the chance to (and as often as money allows). I run without a tow-hook, but by doing so I'm agreeing to accept the fact that the fire-and-rescue truck is then allowed to find any means of attaching a tow line to my vehicle in the event I should need one. since tech is self-inspection, they don't force you to have one, but your signature on the tech sheet is your release of liability for them.

I would strongly recommend it, however. In fact, after I swap the v8 in, my next focus will be on safety for HPDE's. The tow hook, at least in the front, will be something I do.

When were you looking to attend one of their events? I've spoken with Dave (president of SV), and if it coincides with any dates my buddies and I may go later this year we might be able to help you with discounts (and instruction). PM me and we can talk if you'd like.

This will be how I set my tow hook:
6a010535a808a3970b01157090c3f4970b-800wi

btw the co-driver for jack roush jr in the koni series challenge attends a lot of speed ventures events. pretty knowledgeable kid. also holds the track record for both buttonwillow and willow springs in his NSX.

Last edited:

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
^^^We will definately need to put together a S197 mustang-only event one of these days at the track!!! Im in the process of buying my S197 and making it a decent track car.

But to the OP, I think there was some discussion a while ago on svtp about mounting a tow hook. Check in the open track racing section. I too am also interested in installing one in the near future.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
For sure we should organize an event for us stangs. But make it around spring/summer because I need to get the car ready.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back