Which CAI Combo for S/C

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looking at picking up a Saleen S/C w/ 3.6 pulley and trying to either piece it together or get a complete kit. I currently have the C&L Street which I understand is too small. So looking at switching to the C&L Racer, but I'm getting confused on which components are required for the CAI.

From what I've read the C&L Racer will need a 90mm mass air sensor w/ a harness. Is the harness also called the "housing"? Is an adapter to connect the sensor to the car required?

I guess what's confusing me is do I need to get the full Racer CAI with mass sensor housing and filter or only the tube and use a different housing and filter?

Also, are colder plugs recommended with the 3.6 pulley? I'll have more questions, but let's start here. Thx...

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
There are a lot of options available but here is what I recommend:
  • Saleen 98mm Extreme Inlet Tube (Not the C&L Racer Inlet Tube)
    • JDM offers this intake with the proper sized rubber adapter strip that allows you to use it with the 90mm MAF. This intake also does not interfere with the hood requiring the use of lowered Prothane engine mounts. This intake also does not deform (As the C&L Racer Intake does) over time allowing vacuum leaks at either the MAF housing or throttle body.
  • 03-04 Cobra 90mm MAF Housing
  • MAF Plug-n-play MAF Adapter Harness
  • JDM or Steeda CAI
Yes I would suggest replacing the OEM HT1s with Autolite HT0s gapped @ .032"

Most importantly a custom tune for the combination you have chosen.

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between the Saleen tube and the C&L Racer? I know it's petty, but I don't like how the Saleen tube looks and I'm the one that has to look at it.

Edit: You edited at the same time I was. Looks like you answered the question above. I do have Prothane mounts already, so clearance should not be an issue. Haven't read anywhere where the C&L Racer has caused problems though.

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
The Saleen 98mm Extreme Inlet Tube looks very similar to the OEM inlet tube but is larger ID and is not as restrictive as the OEM tube. In your particular case (3.6" pulley) you don't need the benefits of the C&L Racer intake tube and the associated headaches that go with it.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I suggest running some type of fuel pump upgrade. The stock fuel pump will be maxed out at about 5500 RPM with the 3.4" pulley and above that you will start to run lean. This can be seen by datalogging your fuel pump duty cycle.

You may be able to just upgrade the wiring (some good kits are available). On the other end of the spectrum is the GT 500 fuel pump with dual FPDMs and wiring harness. These kits are available from FRPP and Saleen.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looking at picking up a Saleen S/C w/ 3.6 pulley and trying to either piece it together or get a complete kit. I currently have the C&L Street which I understand is too small.
Just curious. How exactly did you come to the understanding that the C&L street kit is "too small" for an 8lb pulley?
So looking at switching to the C&L Racer, but I'm getting confused on which components are required for the CAI.
The C&L racer intake tube will work with your existing C&L MAF, sensor, heat shield, and air filter.
From what I've read the C&L Racer will need a 90mm mass air sensor w/ a harness. Is the harness also called the "housing"? Is an adapter to connect the sensor to the car required?
Both the C&L street kit and the C&L racer kit come with a 90mm MAF and sensor. So if you currently have the C&L street kit, you already have these parts.
I guess what's confusing me is do I need to get the full Racer CAI with mass sensor housing and filter or only the tube and use a different housing and filter?
See my last statement.
Also, are colder plugs recommended with the 3.6 pulley? I'll have more questions, but let's start here. Thx...
Not necessairly. Yes, quite a few people have switched to colder plugs. You you only "need to" if you are experiencing blow by. You won't know that until you get on the dyno.

As for your existing kit. First off, congratulations for making the street kit work with your Saleen SC. If you would have statued your question just a little differently and asked if the C&L street kit would fit with the Saleen, you would have had a flood of people chime back and say no, it will hit the hood. When in fact if you adjust it correctly ( and I highly recommend hump hoses for this ) it will fit. I ran the street tube for quite a while with my setup.

Now, to your "too small" question. When you say too small, are you referring to the MAF sensor pegging out or are you saying that it will not allow enough air through? If you are referring to the MAF sensor pegging, you can pick up a MAFiA to cure that. Very popular fix. Other people go with a completely different MAF and sensor. But if you do that you are going to experience issues getting your current C&L air filter and heat shield to work. You will need to do some modifying to your new MAF housing.

There are plenty of options out there for you. You just need to decide how much of your existing equipment you want to keep before you can be pointed down the right paths. I run a "mutt" of a setup on mine. Lightning MAF housing and sensor, C&L racer intake tube, and a Steeda heat shield and air filter. Putting down over 500 and the sensor doesn't peg on MAF counts, gets plenty of air, works like a champ.

Fuel system.. several options there too. Just all depends on exactly how much power you intend on making. Obviously the choice by most on here is going to be to get the GT500 setup. Don't think anyone would disagree with getting more fuel system than you will actually use. But there are choices for less than $700+ dollars on the table. You can run your existing pump with a BAP. You can get a GT Supercar pump. A GT Supercar pump and BAP setup. Dual GT Supercar pumps. Lots of choices. And as stated, a wiring upgrade will help also.

As for tmcolegr's statement about the C&L racer tube deforming over time. This is the first I have heard of it. Mine certainly hasn't.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just curious. How exactly did you come to the understanding that the C&L street kit is "too small" for an 8lb pulley?

The C&L racer intake tube will work with your existing C&L MAF, sensor, heat shield, and air filter.

Both the C&L street kit and the C&L racer kit come with a 90mm MAF and sensor. So if you currently have the C&L street kit, you already have these parts.

See my last statement.

Not necessairly. Yes, quite a few people have switched to colder plugs. You you only "need to" if you are experiencing blow by. You won't know that until you get on the dyno.

As for your existing kit. First off, congratulations for making the street kit work with your Saleen SC. If you would have statued your question just a little differently and asked if the C&L street kit would fit with the Saleen, you would have had a flood of people chime back and say no, it will hit the hood. When in fact if you adjust it correctly ( and I highly recommend hump hoses for this ) it will fit. I ran the street tube for quite a while with my setup.

Now, to your "too small" question. When you say too small, are you referring to the MAF sensor pegging out or are you saying that it will not allow enough air through? If you are referring to the MAF sensor pegging, you can pick up a MAFiA to cure that. Very popular fix. Other people go with a completely different MAF and sensor. But if you do that you are going to experience issues getting your current C&L air filter and heat shield to work. You will need to do some modifying to your new MAF housing.

There are plenty of options out there for you. You just need to decide how much of your existing equipment you want to keep before you can be pointed down the right paths. I run a "mutt" of a setup on mine. Lightning MAF housing and sensor, C&L racer intake tube, and a Steeda heat shield and air filter. Putting down over 500 and the sensor doesn't peg on MAF counts, gets plenty of air, works like a champ.

Fuel system.. several options there too. Just all depends on exactly how much power you intend on making. Obviously the choice by most on here is going to be to get the GT500 setup. Don't think anyone would disagree with getting more fuel system than you will actually use. But there are choices for less than $700+ dollars on the table. You can run your existing pump with a BAP. You can get a GT Supercar pump. A GT Supercar pump and BAP setup. Dual GT Supercar pumps. Lots of choices. And as stated, a wiring upgrade will help also.

As for tmcolegr's statement about the C&L racer tube deforming over time. This is the first I have heard of it. Mine certainly hasn't.

Damn Doc, outstanding responses, you fucking rock. I did mention I was rather confused about the CAI aspect of this. The information I have I gathered through reading forums, which is not always the best avenue, and talking with a couple of shops via email. So I posted since I know I can get the straight skinny here. And thanks for the info on the fuel, will come in handy in the future.

Bottom line is Ryan (Cali HP Addict) PMd me about his kit and I'm buying it. I totally forgot about the thread he started a week or so ago. It's a great price for all the things included, which are more than I was going to get for more $$$.

GI Joe

Reaction score
Looking at picking up a Saleen S/C w/ 3.6 pulley and trying to either piece it together or get a complete kit. I currently have the C&L Street which I understand is too small. So looking at switching to the C&L Racer, but I'm getting confused on which components are required for the CAI.

Hey bro have you checked with Cali HP. He (Ryan) has an entire kit with VERY low miles and the CAI and the whole thing, GT 500 T/B custom port work for a whale of a deal. You should look at what he has. PM him and tell him Dave told you to touch basis...

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So is this the MAF housing, sensor and Injectors I need? It also asks for with or without EV1 to EV6 adpaters, my guess is the adapters aren't needed, but just checking. Thx...

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=623

Well... yes... maybe. That is definitely the Lightning 90mm MAF and sensor. Those are definitely 39lb Slobra injectors. And buyfordracing definitely has the best prices on those parts. Now... if you will be using an air filter assembley and heat shield setup that the MAF housing will bolt up to ( for example, a Steeda ) then yes, that is the setup you need. If you will be trying to reuse a C&L air filter and heat shield, you will notice that the C&L pieces don't bolt together, it is all sort of a clamp together type thing. So yes, you could drill holes in the heat shield and bolt this MAF housing to it. No big deal at all. But you will have to be somewhat imaginative to get a C&L air filter assembley to attach to it, if it could even be done at all.

No, you won't need the adaptor plugs. Not for 39lb injectors.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is Ryan (Cali HP Addict) PMd me about his kit and I'm buying it.

Hey bro have you checked with Cali HP. He (Ryan) has an entire kit with VERY low miles and the CAI and the whole thing, GT 500 T/B custom port work for a whale of a deal. You should look at what he has. PM him and tell him Dave told you to touch basis...

Just a guess.. I bet he's talked to him
:trout: :poke:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's all good, you guys are all great. Ryan does not have the MAF or Injectors for sale, so I'm just making sure I buy the right stuff.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well... yes... maybe. That is definitely the Lightning 90mm MAF and sensor. Those are definitely 39lb Slobra injectors. And buyfordracing definitely has the best prices on those parts. Now... if you will be using an air filter assembley and heat shield setup that the MAF housing will bolt up to ( for example, a Steeda ) then yes, that is the setup you need. If you will be trying to reuse a C&L air filter and heat shield, you will notice that the C&L pieces don't bolt together, it is all sort of a clamp together type thing. So yes, you could drill holes in the heat shield and bolt this MAF housing to it. No big deal at all. But you will have to be somewhat imaginative to get a C&L air filter assembley to attach to it, if it could even be done at all.

No, you won't need the adaptor plugs. Not for 39lb injectors.

Thanks Doc. Ryan's kit has the JDM CAI and C&L Racer inlet, so this will bolt right up.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doc. Ryan's kit has the JDM CAI and C&L Racer inlet, so this will bolt right up.

Yup, sounds like you are good to go!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back