Which Style Of Rear Sway Bar Is Better

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, what do you consider to be the better style to have as a rear sway bar. The traditional floating style sway bar the comes on the car, as shown in image 1? Or the type that primarily attaches to the rear axle as shown in image 2? I ask because I'm considering changing out the rear swaybar to the type the primarily attaches to the rear axle, if it infact results in a better handling and reduces body roll even more.

Attachments

• Floating.jpg
    Floating.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 18
  • americansway.jpg
    americansway.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 18

Gab

Bullitthead
Reaction score
Functionally, it doesn't matter. What does matter is the bar spring rate - this is the parameter that affects body roll. IIRC, the Whiteline bar is designed that way to allow a wider tire.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
The Whiteline style bar cant even really be compared rate wise to the other style. The way in which it mounts changes how it interacts with the rest of the suspension under movement. I run a Whiteline bar and love it for the vast rate options as well as the stupidly easy design to adjust it.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BMR has a third style, too.

The "best" style is whatever fits with your current exhaust and suspension setup. :thumb:

07 Boss

Reaction score
More of an "Extreme" set up. End links are connected to tabs welded onto the axle, and the bar itself is is mounted to the frame via a bracket.

They say this is not for the feint of heart. It is suggested to unhook one end while street driving but mine stays hooked up 24/7.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
More of an "Extreme" set up. End links are connected to tabs welded onto the axle, and the bar itself is is mounted to the frame via a bracket.

They say this is not for the feint of heart. It is suggested to unhook one end while street driving but mine stays hooked up 24/7.

I had considered this as an option as well, but just figured that it was unsuitable for a daily driver. I also was looking at the BMR Xtreme Anti Roll Bar Kit, Bolt-on Bearing XSB012 as well. However, again I didn't think it could be used for normal street driving.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Any of the BMR bars that start with "XSB" will not be what you are looking for.

I think we offer more designs than anyone else, in terms of rear anti-sway/roll bars for the S197 platform, and since you stated "handling" I will tell you that all of the designs on the market can/will do their intended jobs.

BMR and Whiteline have their own unique designs. We (BMR) also have a "stock style" design you referred to as Image #1 (that is our bar)

Due to being in this industry, I tend to split atoms. The bar in Image #2 I am personally not a fan of because it narrows the main bar by placing the mounts closer to the rear differential than the OEM outboard location.

The factory design is great for the most part. It enables a small diameter hollow bar to be used as it captures the chassis outboard AND the axle assembly very far outboard. Due to this, you can have a smaller bar that does a great job at controlling roll. When you have a bar that takes the lever arm mounts and moves them inboard substantially, and then move the bar pivot/mounts inboard even more - this means you have to use a very strong (heavy) bar to make up for the lost wheel rate. Heavy/massive bars mounted to the rear axle, this is something I am not fond of personally.

That being said, I have many customers who use that style mounted to the axle and say they love it. Yet, at the same time I have just as many customers who use tiny tiny or NO rear bars too....that love it and win races? Hmmm...

My vote is to keep it simple. Use a stock style rear bar and enjoy!

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any of the BMR bars that start with "XSB" will not be what you are looking for.

I think we offer more designs than anyone else, in terms of rear anti-sway/roll bars for the S197 platform, and since you stated "handling" I will tell you that all of the designs on the market can/will do their intended jobs.

BMR and Whiteline have their own unique designs. We (BMR) also have a "stock style" design you referred to as Image #1 (that is our bar)

Due to being in this industry, I tend to split atoms. The bar in Image #2 I am personally not a fan of because it narrows the main bar by placing the mounts closer to the rear differential than the OEM outboard location.

The factory design is great for the most part. It enables a small diameter hollow bar to be used as it captures the chassis outboard AND the axle assembly very far outboard. Due to this, you can have a smaller bar that does a great job at controlling roll. When you have a bar that takes the lever arm mounts and moves them inboard substantially, and then move the bar pivot/mounts inboard even more - this means you have to use a very strong (heavy) bar to make up for the lost wheel rate. Heavy/massive bars mounted to the rear axle, this is something I am not fond of personally.

That being said, I have many customers who use that style mounted to the axle and say they love it. Yet, at the same time I have just as many customers who use tiny tiny or NO rear bars too....that love it and win races? Hmmm...

My vote is to keep it simple. Use a stock style rear bar and enjoy!

Very insightful, and I like your detail. Thanks.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
To simplify and help explain what I was saying about narrow mounted bars and wheel rates etc. I will post a pic to demonstrate.

Pic #1 is a BMR unique drag style ARB design. This bar is for drag racing and provides SERIOUS roll control. This is the most effective drag bar we offer.

Pic #2 is the original style BMR ARB, that can also be seen with other companies offerings. This is a step below Image #1 in terms of performance.

As you will notice, the engineering behind the parts results in much different features. The BMR #1 design captures the factory sway bar upper mounting points and then captures the inside of the LCA mounts. Due to these points being outboard, this allows us to use a smaller diameter bar that will be lighter and perform at the level of a much larger, and shorter bar that on a calculator would be much much stiffer. However, at the actual WHEEL (wheel rate / roll prevention) - the BMR #1 design works better.

In Image #2 you will see our most popular ARB. This is essentially the golden standard over the years. It captures the axle AND the chassis much more inboard than the #1 design and on paper, is MUCH stiffer. However, at the wheel and in the real world....it does not provide as much roll control.

Attachments

• JK Rear Suspension.jpg
    JK Rear Suspension.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Scott Malott ARB.jpg
    Scott Malott ARB.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 20

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I hear BMR's are best bars and you should buy them :D

<slips hand to kelly for that sweet sweet bribe money>

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back