Whipple 10 rib drive system..

G.T

Reaction score
so i snapped yet another drive belt on my way home a couple days back.. i pulled over and parked.. went to my trunk knowing i have a spare belt, then it hit me: i didn't have a 1/2" wrench :)

so i cabbed it home, picked up my wrench, got back to the car and swapped out the belt.
cranked it up, drove it for barely a mile before the SC bogged down and my steering went stiff again :|

i popped the hood open and sure enough the belt is gone, but the smooth idler pulley on the driver side of the engine (above the power steering pump) is in pieces as well!

i have the damn pulley, but no more 124.7" long belts so i need to ship something over, but now i'm thinking to hell with it, i've done 4 belts and 2 tensioners already in 2 years (which isn't the worst i've heard from those running twin screws on the 3V motor)

i'm seriously considering the Steeda or the Whipple 10 rib drive systems.
they're evenly priced, but i prefer the whipple system because it uses an OE tensioner (which makes for easy replacements rather than going back to steeda)

has anybody had either of the two setups installed? any issues?
i'm thinking of a meziere electric water pump and i'm wondering if the thicker pulley will interfere with the whipple 10 rib belt (it looks like it would)

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are you running the OE tensioner right now? From what I've read in the past I thought most people were able to resolve the belt snapping issues going 8-rib and using a Thumprr tensioner.

G.T

Reaction score
i am running the OE tensioner now
then again i bent one in the past and replaced it, and my tensioner now is perfectly okay, it's an idler pulley that snapped this time around!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The GI Joe 8-rib set up plus the Thumpr_RRR tensioner fixed my problems. But if your starting from nothing, I would consider the direct drive as well.

G.T

Reaction score
agreed, especially since the BGG setup plus the beefed up tensioner will run me down around $800, while the whipple and/or steeda setup are around $1,200 which seems like a better value for money in my opinion..

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
Im running the Steeda Belt Drive and i love it. Its been on the car for about 8 months now, and ive had 0 problems. I would deff recommend it. I went with this one because the Whipple one wasent out at the time. With the Steeda Belt Drive, you also get an SFI approved crank dampner which is also nice.

onequicktang

forum member
Reaction score
I might sell mine if I go twin turbo. It will prob be easier to sell the whipple seperate from the steeda.

06whipple

I am having belt issues also. Does the GI Joe setup have billet pullies? Are the belts for that setup expensive or hard to get like the stock whipple setup.

G.T

Reaction score
I am having belt issues also. Does the GI Joe setup have billet pullies? Are the belts for that setup expensive or hard to get like the stock whipple setup.

the belts will probably be a pain in the ass to get.
it's hard enough finding that 6PK 124.7" long belt.. let alone the same length with 2 more ribs!

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'd suggest swapping any/all of those POS OEM pulleys out for something better.

We see a LOT of those Ford steel pulleys that fail, especially on Whipple cars. I'd suggest a good tensioner, and some aftermarket billet type pulleys and you shouldn't have any more problems.

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
I'd suggest swapping any/all of those POS OEM pulleys out for something better.

We see a LOT of those Ford steel pulleys that fail, especially on Whipple cars. I'd suggest a good tensioner, and some aftermarket billet type pulleys and you shouldn't have any more problems.

funny you mention that cause the 100mm idler pully supplied IN the whipple ho kit failed on me a few weeks ago. that pully went quick considering the whipple went on the car in june

bigpappy33

11.17@126
Reaction score
They really should just include an 8 rib conversion in the kit. These 6 rib belts aren't designed for this kind of abuse. I'm on my 3rd, and its lasted the longest for inexplicable reasons.

G.T

Reaction score
I hear ya! My first and second belt went out 2 months apart.. 1.5 years later my 3rd and 4th followed :)

06whipple

I am leaning towards the 10 rib whipple setup. Makes more sense to have lots of belt surface and to get all of that stress off of the factory stuff... Just need to find out what the belts cost just in case...although I wouldn't anticipate ever needing to replace it. Has anyone heard of any issues with the 10 rib whipple, I'm a little worried about having such a long blower snout and having stress on the crank pulley out so far. Are there any issues with blower or engine seal leaks?

onequicktang

forum member
Reaction score
on the steeda kit the snout is supported very well so really no extra stress there. I havent had a single issue with seals or belts.

Anthony05GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same driver's side upper idler pulley break too. I bought the Whipple version ten rib kit over the Steeda. Better belt wrap and about $80 cheaper.

G.T

Reaction score
Kahmann: both kits come with new crank pulleys that drive both the accessory and sc belts.

Anthony: can you take a photo showing the coolant pump? I'm thinking about a meziere ewp and it seems like the new belt might interefere with it if I switch to the 10rib kit

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back