Who wants to see a detailed write up of a 4r70 swap?

Reaction score
Well, our turbo system is up and running.. The pump gas gains are impressive, just a hair short of 150hp and 185ft lbs. The car will be in Bradenton FL at the NMRA event March 3-6th sporting the original 6 speed manual trans w the factory clutch (GT500 pedal assembly and new factory clutch as it had sheared the dowell pins n/a). My educated guess is telling me that the trans is not going to be super thrilled with the new found torque, so the collections of components for the 4r swap have begun and will likely transpire the moment we get back from FL.
So the question is....who would like to see a detailed write up of the 6spdm to 4r70 swap. If there is enough interest I will document the swap to the best detail that I can. We have swapped more than 15 3v cars and already offer many of the parts to do so and the 5.0 shouldnt be much different.

Bad Intention

forum member
Reaction score
Well, our turbo system is up and running.. The pump gas gains are impressive, just a hair short of 150hp and 185ft lbs. The car will be in Bradenton FL at the NMRA event March 3-6th sporting the original 6 speed manual trans w the factory clutch (GT500 pedal assembly and new factory clutch as it had sheared the dowell pins n/a). My educated guess is telling me that the trans is not going to be super thrilled with the new found torque, so the collections of components for the 4r swap have begun and will likely transpire the moment we get back from FL.
So the question is....who would like to see a detailed write up of the 6spdm to 4r70 swap. If there is enough interest I will document the swap to the best detail that I can. We have swapped more than 15 3v cars and already offer many of the parts to do so and the 5.0 shouldnt be much different.
im very interested in this. im going to be adding procharger soon and have a Lentech 4R70W full man. and trans break in my garage.
I will be @ the Spring Break Shootout so ill come check you out.

Last edited:

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I would put a 4R70/75 in my '11 in a heartbeat.. I'd imagine that it's not terribly difficult to do in a MT car.

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
i do like the 4r in the other car. dunno if i want it in the 2011.

Reaction score
Not yet, Im going with the stock manual trans for the shootout at MIR, the swap will commence shortly after.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought that the 6R80 was better/stronger than the 4R70W?

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
I thought that the 6R80 was better/stronger than the 4R70W?

Why does everyone on this site always compare stock to stock?

The 6R80 is a good street transmission with many gears and is somewhat strong. A 4R70 has better gearing for the track, can have a tbrake, a manual valve body, and can be built. A 6R80 is not in the same class.

Reaction score
First of all, Let me apologize. The 4r70 is in the car but It ended up being a rush job so it wasn't documented well enough to create a write up.

So when I tear the car back down I will get some pics and write something up.
Let me say this, the swap is essentially the same as it were for the 05-09. Using our cross member/trans mount and driveshaft it was physically a bolt in. Wiring is pretty straight forward in a stick car, as the switches from the B&M ratchet shifter were simply connected to the clutch wires for the neutral safety and the reverse switch was connected to the factory reverse switch wiring.
Clearance in the trans tunnel is just as it were before, limited. The job does require that the floor be tapped around the areas of the cooling lines as well as the shift lever. The turbo system had plenty of clearance around the bell housing and transpan.
The Lentech built 4r70w, rated to 1400hp, was intended to go into my 1300hp 5.4 3v, but that recipe has since changed.
The speed sensor required a slightly different approach. On the 05-10 cars we simply use an earlier speed sensor (like found in the 03/04 mach 1 auto) and simply change the connector on the factory harness to match up to the new sensor.
The 2011 uses a 3 wire voltage referenced speed sensor instead of the 2 wire found on the earlier cars. of course ford doesn’t offer a 3 wire sensor to fit the case of the 4r nor does the 2011 sensor fit. It is quite a bit longer.. A little trimming on the sensor and a quick little billet adapter allowed us to mount the 2011 sensor in the 4r.
The flex plate is standard issue 8 bolt modular acquired from Performance Automatic. I opted for a Precision Industries 3 disc lock up converter. We've used these converters in all our swaps and they have held up very, very well and performed even better. Because of the nature of the intended use of the car stall speed for this particular converter is around 4200. I think that 3500ish would be a better compromise between street and strip but for this little project the 4200 fits the bill.
I have driven the car but only for a few miles, weather and traffic has limited us to and really good feedback but I am confident that the trans will perform as expected and will have track results in the next few weeks.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I read that the '11 use a hall effect type speedo setup.. But, you're saying that the sensor properly reads the 4R70W's trigger? How is that possible? The 2011 uses a square wave AC signal, and the older trans is set up for a sine wave DC signal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We made a billet adapter and still using the sensor from the 11, like mentioned above the factory 2011 sensor is 3 wire, the earlier cars 2. The factory sensor generates the signal so the signal will still be the same only the counts per revolution have changed, which can be modified in the tune.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Interesting.. So, the trigger wheel from the older reluctor setup also works with the hall effect sensor. Well, that pretty much solidifies things for me. I'll be tossing a 4R75 in my car soon. :)

Travis

Wharf Rat

Reaction score
Any thoughts on Powerhouse selling a complete swap kit with all the parts and pieces and a beefy tranny???

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
We made a billet adapter and still using the sensor from the 11, like mentioned above the factory 2011 sensor is 3 wire, the earlier cars 2. The factory sensor generates the signal so the signal will still be the same only the counts per revolution have changed, which can be modified in the tune.

Think that could be done with a TKO 600 swap vs the MT-82 ? Only thing holding me back on that is the speedo sensor compatibility

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back