Who was the Genius?

OLD 96

Reaction score
I just would like to know. The master mind behind the idea of the speakers in the door of my 2008 Mustang. He must have been a freaking hobbit. 4 foot tall. Just so I could kick his ass. They stick out a inch past the door panel. I am 6'2'' tall. If I do not push my seat all the way back and pull my knees up to my chest I will scrape my foot on the speaker housing. May he rest in Hell. Just kidding. All the best to him that made a simple mistake on the best vehicle ever made.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
you talking about the door subs? Is your door all the way open when trying to get in and out?

I have aftermarket subs, with a 1/4" spacer ring added underneath then (so they stick out 1/4" further than stock), am 6'4", and don't hit my foot on the speakers when getting in/out.

Maybe modify your technique? A quick tuck and roll to the outside might prevent scraping your foot on the speaker housing. Might warrant a chiropractor visit after attempting .... but no scraped speakers, lol

OLD 96

Reaction score
Well, yeah. Door is open all the way .I am 69 years old. But. I ain't stupid. Both knees have been replaced. I try to not scrape the speaker covers. But. Sometimes I do not make it. Just was wondering why speakers could not have been engineered to not stick out from door panel. Lack of space in door? Or. Maybe I am just to old to own a Mustang.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Your good. Engineers made them look that way to appeal to a certain age group. They could have easily made them flush.

AHaze

Reaction score
Your good. Engineers made them look that way to appeal to a certain age group. They could have easily made them flush.
Well, I suppose they could have but then wouldn't the window hit the magnet before it rolled all the way down? I'm 6'5" and don't have this issue so I'm guessing it just never came up in focus groups or development testing.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Well, I suppose they could have but then wouldn't the window hit the magnet before it rolled all the way down? I'm 6'5" and don't have this issue so I'm guessing it just never came up in focus groups or development testing.

Probably not, there's about 1/2" of room back there before the speaker would hit the window. I used a heat gun, and 10lb dumb bell weights to stretch the back of the speaker pocket deeper to fit my aftermarket subs. I was able to stretch them quite a bit deeper to fit the larger magnet and it doesn't interfere with the window at all. They might not of been able to get them flush, but they could definitely protrude a lot less.

One of my old cars (forget which one) had a cool feature where the seat slid back even more when the door was opened, to give you more room. I also miss my telescoping steering wheel column from my G37.

If your drivers seat is not all the way back, on the tracks not the back rest, maybe you could slide it all the way back before you get out? It might give you a bit more room. Then just slide it back up when you get in and are ready to drive.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah some new cars have “exit mode.” Steering goes in and up. Seat goes all the way back. Pretty cool.

Who remembers these…

IMG_3684.jpeg

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same issue almost. My car has the Shelby-Kicker upgraded door subs, so they stick out farther than the OEM subs. I had my left knee replaced last year. Before and for a while after surgery I had to kinda lift myself up in my seat to get my left leg in or out of the foot well and past the speaker, especially if I could not open the door all the way.

As time goes by and I seem to gain incrementally more flexion, it gets easier and easier. I also found that raising my seat as high as possible, given headroom and clutch actuation limitations, helps a great deal too. I have the power seats, not sure if the non-powered ones have height adjustment or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VGMStudios

Reaction score
Dude I'm taller than you and I don't have any issues with the door subs other than my knee resting on it while driving and I can't hear the sub properly. Not a big deal.

richie9mt

Reaction score
I'm only 5'10" and my head hits the roof trim getting in & out. Seat is all the way back, rear seat down. I also hit my knees on steering wheel 50% of the time (in & out).

No problem with the Shaker 500 door speakers/subs though.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Whoa, Old96. (I can say whoa, my new Horse Whinny horn going in today). I also, can say whoa, I'm 85 years old and still driving my 2012 Mustang convertible. Six months ago, I still owned my 2008 Mustang convertible and found it to be a little more difficult to enter and exit than my 2012. You cannot become too old to own a Mustang.

Fortunately for me, no knee or any other surgeries but still getting in and out of the car requires planning. On the 08, I always backed up to the seat, set and turned my legs and body towards the dash. Getting out of the car pretty much the same maneuver in reverse. No surgeries but no shortage of arthritis so like I said I plan my entry and exit. I never had a problem with the speaker except when my knee started hurting and I realized it was resting on the speaker.

My 2012, I swear is wider and roomier than the 08. In both cases, generally in a parking lot, I would have to run the seat back because someone parked too close, and I had difficulty getting out.

I'm only 5'9"

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back