Who's figured out the MSD 2 step for a hard launch?

Jerry Stoneking

Reaction score
I just installed the MSD 2-step on a 2005 GT with all the bolt-ons, Tremec 5 speed, Exedy stage 2 clutch, and 4:10's in the back. I am using a push button momentary switch, and I working on getting a hard launch. Anybody have some good tips on this for RPM and technique?

JC SSP

Reaction score
Drag radials and/or slicks?

Not being critical just Trying to figure out why you need a 2-Step that’s all.

Jerry Stoneking

Reaction score
This is my garage play car. Picked up an MSD 2step on the cheap; if I don't like it, I will just take it back off while having fun doing it.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Be careful with the msd 2 step, they are known to fail and cause misfires. I removed mine after it failed.

AHaze

Reaction score
My admittedly limited experience with my '05 on street tires gave the best 60' times launching barely above idle and rolling into the throttle. I still have the stock 3.55 gears. I can't see the 2-step being much use on a 4.10 geared stick car without slicks.

Jerry Stoneking

Reaction score
I am kinda of seeing that. I am currently at 2500, and I'm going to play with throttle in at a lower RPM after takeoff. So far all I have seen is launch at the 2 step RPM setting, then the engine RPM goes to where my foot is and into a smokey burnout. I will get this figured out, or take it off for some one else to play with.

Jerry Stoneking

Reaction score
I am using a momentary push button, and I am not getting the consistency with clutch release and button release. I will be moving to a clutch actuation.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I played with the MSD 2 step for a while. I triggered it with a clutch pedal switch and found it to have limited usefulness for launch control. It does work but track conditions change through the day so there is no one setting that gets the car off the line well every time. Cold track, fresh traction compound, sun comes out or your own suspension setup can change the launch rpm requirement. I found it was a crutch I do not need when learning to drive the car. Then there is that awful cracking and banging when on the first stage limiter. The timing chain, tensioners, guides and sprockets get the hell beat out of them. It was a fun experiment but I removed it from the car.:driver:

MrBhp

Reaction score
I've only used the N2MB wot box. Drastically reduced 60' times. On street tires it's pretty much useless. Get some decent drag radials. You'll be much faster even if you ditch the two step.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back