why cant we make a driveshaft

LOUDCOYOTE

VETTE KILLA
Reaction score
I just want to see if anyone has ever taken an aluminum ds from say a fox body and had the ends welded on and balanced to replace the 2 piece stocker. Im just about done paying high dollar for things I can construct for a fraction of the price.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
meh ill pay for a driveshaft meant to work with my vehicle rather than pay for a DS meant for a different vehicle then go through the hassle and paying to make it work..in the end $150 difference? is justifiable to me just for the testing companies do to their product

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
I think after doing all that you'll be paying nearly the same as just buying one outright. Not to mention, the one you buy will have a warranty with it.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Then why did you buy Borla exhuast? :roflmao:

Seriously, that's not a good idea. Did you even stop to think about the difference in length, diameter, and how these newer driveshafts can handle more power...

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Its been done before but most of us dont have the tools, know how or willingness to battle the endless vibrations. Just buy a DSS when Lethal P has a sale. Best DS out there and be done with it.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Good thing nobody told spyder7724 not to make his own driveshafts.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Good thing nobody told spyder7724 not to make his own driveshafts.

HaHa, that's what I was thinking. I think he was using FRPP Ranger shafts...

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f669/aluminum-driveshaft-443248/index2/#post5179264

Originally Posted by sts767
I heard someone mention a Ranger driveshaft conversion. Does anyone know about that?
blackened is 100% correct. i did the first one and it's still in my car now. no vibrations or extra noise. i'm not saying it can't happen but so far about a dozen people or more have done my conversion(so many in fact that we can't get anymore ranger shafts from ford :p) with no adverse effects. it's stronger than stock and weighs 16.5 lbs when done. it's made from 6061T6 aircraft aluminum and has the 1350 series u-joints. the slip joint is already made in to the shaft for rear axle arc movement. they are cheap around $230 the cobra flange is $40 and my place charges $80-90 to shorten. it's usually about $150-200 cheaper than even the CM or steel shafts offered.
PN as follows driveshaft 03-up ranger extra cab 126" WB M4602R from FRPP or 3L5Z4602LA268 from a ford dealer. this shaft is a replacement design due to problems with the original units. this is why i advise using a new shaft and not a junkyard piece cause you never now the design or quality of what you are starting with.
the companion flange (pinion yoke) is from a 03-04 cobra. it's billet steel mad for the 1350 series u-joint cradle and mates up to the shaft perfectly. the companion flange on the trans does not have to be changed with this conversion. as far as the installation of the comp. flange do whatever makes you comfortable. if you want to replace the crush sleeve and go through all that work or if you do like i did and just R&R the flanges and carefully torque the pinion nut as not to crush the sleeve anymore.
okay lastly the new bolts required(the stock bolts are too small) N8005945100 from ford (4).
i have many posts about this when i first did it. do a quick search and you will find them.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited:

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
I don't see anythig wrong with it. We used to have driveshafts shortened all the tome for tranny swaps. Just as long as it's long enough to begin with don't do any goody shit like adding length and then the yoke lol

LOUDCOYOTE

VETTE KILLA
Reaction score
Thanks to those who added useful info, to those who answer questions with dumb questions, quit clouding my thread and troll elsewhere. At the end of the day these vendors do the same thing we are talking about now, they just had the balls to do it. All you who dont can just keep paying for the next guys ingenuity.:asskiss3:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back