Widest tires on roush 18x10s

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
I am currently running nitto nt05 in 295/40/18 on my rears but looking to go wider. Need recommendations. I know nitto runs a bit narrow compared to other brands so I am open to suggestions. Really hoping to stay away from drag radials as I am trying to get more miles out of them then the typical drag radial will do.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
325/40/18 M&H DRs

Are u sure u can stuff a 325-40-18 on a 10" rim? DiMora sent his Roush 10" rear rims to have widened to 11.5" then put 335mm wide rears on. Even then, the mounting plate for the rear jounce stop had to be re-located, and the cover for the top of the shock had to be removed, so the tire would clear. Roush uses a 45mm offset on their 10" rims. (42mm would have been a bit more optimal). A small 3mm spacer could be used to reduce the et from 45 to 42mm.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well since I run that on the Shelby.... pretty sure

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Are u sure u can stuff a 325-40-18 on a 10" rim? DiMora sent his Roush 10" rear rims to have widened to 11.5" then put 335mm wide rears on. Even then, the mounting plate for the rear jounce stop had to be re-located, and the cover for the top of the shock had to be removed, so the tire would clear. Roush uses a 45mm offset on their 10" rims. (42mm would have been a bit more optimal). A small 3mm spacer could be used to reduce the et from 45 to 42mm.

Steeda uses a 45mm offset with 7" backspacing on their 9.5" rims.. I run 275-35-20's on them as a square setup and have plenty of clearance space without having to add spacers or steering rack stops like what Roush recommends for their 20x9.5" wheel kit with 45mm offset..

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
325/40 on a 10" wide wheel is kind of borderline. M&H does not list a recommended range, but other drag radials in the 315/xx to 335/xx range either just barely include 10" wheels or just barely don't.

Either way, I would expect some wooziness at the big end, particularly if your strip sees much crosswind.

Norm

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
DSCN2928_zps33d436ee.jpg

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
Can you get the ford luster nickel rims widened?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
295 or 315. Use a chart from the tire manufacturer and don't go outside the parameters.
Understood.

But M&H only lists a single wheel width for their drag radials which would give you no wiggle room at all if you can't use a little judgment. I looked at the M&H page, and also at the Hoosier DR information before posting above. I've got Tire Rack's Toyo TQ page open as I'm typing this.

For tires specifically intended for competition, it is fairly common for people to put together fitments that would not be acceptable for unrestricted street driving. This works out in large part because they don't get used for more than a few seconds at a time, so the extra sidewall flexing and the heat generated by that isn't going to be sustained like it would be on a highway trip across Texas in the summer.

Norm

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I spoke to John at M&H when I ordered mine, he said on 10" it was fine and many guys run them. I've had them on the car for 6 years or so. I don't drive it cross country but it will go 50+ miles one way on occasion.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The tire manufactures don't set the wheel width recommendations. The Tire and Rim Association does. They publish an annual yearbook with all the tire sizes, all the rim width info, all the tire dimension, all the tolerances and a lot more.

The stuff you see on Tire Rack is copied right out of that yearbook. In fact most of the published data is right from that book. Tire manufactures go by the Tire and Rim guidelines. There is also ETRTO, the euro version.

Just because M&H says 10.5" only (or whatever) does not mean that is the only acceptable wheel width. They just chose to only publish the recommended wheel size.

I have an old T&RA yearbook. If I get time later, I'll copy a page and post it. If you can find one somewhere, look through it. There is a lot of good info.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well since I run that on the Shelby.... pretty sure

I'm sure you have posted pics of your tires and wheels but would you mind posting the exact Wheel & Tire set-up you speak of in your post.

I have 10.5" SC-5 Mickey Thompson wheels in the rear.
I'm running the DWS06 tires in the 315/35-20".

There is no room left for a larger size tire I don't think on mine.
But then you have different wheels with a different offset so not the same thing.

Video below,

http://vid258.photobucket.com/album...so underneath March 17th 2016_zpsdeq03qlo.mp4

T.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
True Forged Mach 5
18 x 9 F
18 x 10 R

Offset is somewhere in the +42-44 area, I don't know exactly as I told TF I wanted them to tuck under and never got an exact spec that I can recall or find.

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting! I was under the impression a 305 was widest I could go without further modifications.

Doesn't seem to be too many options for tires when a guy starts looking for something in the size area.

Last edited by a moderator:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interesting! I was under the impression a 305 was widest I could go without further modifications.

Doesn't seem to be too many options for tires when a guy starts looking for something in the size area.
Just keep in mind that many of us running the wider tires and wheels have suspension changes.

T.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score

Past 305, and probably beginning at anything much past 285, you do have to look at the tires, wheels, and available room together. The bigger you go, the less "slack" you have for accommodating small dimensional differences and the fewer the number of combinations of parts that will work. And the less willing any wheel & tire supplier will be to guarantee that everything will actually fit, so it becomes your very own design project.

Norm

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
May try some the m&h drag radials or nt05r. Really didn't want to go to a drag radial as I don't think I would get too many miles out of them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back