Will a Fays2 and a Whiteline rear sway work together?

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Has anybody installed this combo? I could see where the axle mounts for the whiteline bar could interfere with the fays 2 axle clamps.

I already have the Fays 2 installed. Long term I'll probably go with a blade type rear bar, but figured I'd use the Whiteline for now to establish a baseline and because it has the better inside tire clearance. But if it won't play nice with the Fays 2, then I need to modify that plan...

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I highly doubt it would work.

Here's how the WL mounts-

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Has anybody installed this combo? I could see where the axle mounts for the whiteline bar could interfere with the fays 2 axle clamps.

I already have the Fays 2 installed. Long term I'll probably go with a blade type rear bar, but figured I'd use the Whiteline for now to establish a baseline and because it has the better inside tire clearance. But if it won't play nice with the Fays 2, then I need to modify that plan...

Tire clearance issues on a CP Car? Sawzall, ready... go! :)

Also, why have a rear bar at all, you have the watts linkage and spring rates to play with, no reason to really have the bar unless you are trying to keep things streetable, at which point I go back to the "CP Car?" question! :)

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Tire clearance issues on a CP Car? Sawzall, ready... go! :)

Also, why have a rear bar at all, you have the watts linkage and spring rates to play with, no reason to really have the bar unless you are trying to keep things streetable, at which point I go back to the "CP Car?" question! :)

While yes, I could go with the sawzall method of tire clearance, I'd like to keep this car narrow. That means tucking everything in as far as can be.

Regarding "why swaybar?" - yes, I have a watts, and 2.25" coilover type springs on custom weight jackers, and can get any wheel rate i want that way. That does not necessarily dismiss the desire for a swaybar. A swaybar can effect weight transfer in a way that springs alone cannot. And while I suspect the front sway is WAY more important than the rear sway on this car for that, the rear sway is just one more tool in the shed. If I can end up with a car that works with no rear sway, it will come off, but my gut feeling is that doesn't happen.

As for the original question, after looking at numerous install pics, I can't imagine them working together. Ordered Sam's reat bar and will see what we learn with it. Thanks all.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
While yes, I could go with the sawzall method of tire clearance, I'd like to keep this car narrow. That means tucking everything in as far as can be.

Regarding "why swaybar?" - yes, I have a watts, and 2.25" coilover type springs on custom weight jackers, and can get any wheel rate i want that way. That does not necessarily dismiss the desire for a swaybar. A swaybar can effect weight transfer in a way that springs alone cannot. And while I suspect the front sway is WAY more important than the rear sway on this car for that, the rear sway is just one more tool in the shed. If I can end up with a car that works with no rear sway, it will come off, but my gut feeling is that doesn't happen.

As for the original question, after looking at numerous install pics, I can't imagine them working together. Ordered Sam's reat bar and will see what we learn with it. Thanks all.

How wide of tire are we talking? A 345 would be able to fit in the rear with only a marginal penalty in overall width, like maybe an inch or so less each side (2" total). Depending on the offset of the wheel you chose a 315, with a wheel like Sam sells (Enkei PF01's in 18x10.5) are going to have about the same amount of poke out back and can be run with the stock bar and for sure Sam's bar. Considering that is what a lot of the ESP guys run, you'd have to be trying to fit all of that tire and more under the fenders to really need the different bar routing.

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Right now all I have is 315's on Sam's 10.5's. That said, I'm intrigued by the 335's and 12's that Terry ran. But really only if I can keep them inside the stock bodywork. If I can add the wheel and tire under the car, win. If not, I'm not inclined to widen the car. CP cars are WAY too wide by and large, IMO.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
About a 550 in/lb front rate with a 300-350 in/lb rear spring rate with no rear bar is definitely doable. I had that setup. Rehagen Racing uses similar.

Considering you can raise or lower your rear roll center....that is essentially like a rear sway bar, except it is "faster".

Whiskey11

Reaction score
About a 550 in/lb front rate with a 300-350 in/lb rear spring rate with no rear bar is definitely doable. I had that setup. Rehagen Racing uses similar.

Considering you can raise or lower your rear roll center....that is essentially like a rear sway bar, except it is "faster".

That was my opinion on the matter... The car's rear track is already wider than the stock fenders so I'm not sure why there is a push against a little sawzall action and a slightly wider track but to each their own! :)

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Where the whiteline mounts is really close to where the axle clamps go. Even if it clears the bar itself would be very close. I had a Fays and an Eibach adjustable setup but that has stock location on the ends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

neema

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know if Griggs sells parts individually, but their relocation brackets and swaybar may fit the bill.

2005GRPWatts.jpg

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice real parts not like that Fays crap !

:stfu: While I don't particularly care for the Fays2 unit, there are a lot of people running them with very good results.

Not everyone can afford a full Griggs suspension setup, or even a Cortex one.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Functionally the Fays is superior. The roll couple doesn't change with rear suspension travel. There is not a reported case of one breaking on the track and they have been ran through wrecks and off-track "experiences". So durability is not in question and function is better on the Fays...so that leaves the Griggs fanboys with what? Bling. Good job. It does look better though. Good eye SD07GT.

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
if you offset your front strut, cortex carries these 10.5's that will fit under the front and rear without sticking out at all. (i'm gonna get a set when i can afford it) http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/enkei_pf01/ they are a different offset from the normal PF01's and as far as i can find, Cortex is the only one that sells them.

I have Sam's rear bar, Fay's 2 and BMR LCA relo's with them set in the top hole to level. the swaybar end rubs on the bolt for the LCA, but everything fits.

I'm going to grind the LCA bolt head a bit and see if that don't make my noise from the back of the car go away.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
The offset difference between those and what I have is 9mm, or .35" which isn't a *LOT*. Not sure it makes the difference between 'sticking out' or not in the end. I know on a 38mm with 315's the fronts can rub a little at full lock, and that won't be any better, at all with a 47. In fact I once tried 18x10x45 offset with 315's and the tires rubbed the strut with any camber put in at the bottom of the strut. YMMV.

Back to the original question. I don't think a Fays2 will work with a Whiteline rear sway bar. Both bolt to the axle in about the same spot. Unless you got creative in mounting the bar to the Fays2 axle clamps the two can't occupy the same space. My bar works with a Fays2 (and I think that's how Dave went if I recall a set of bars I sent out of here a few days ago).

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Sam,

Do your bars clear the (insert brand here) LCA relocation brackets as well?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back