Will Ford Racing manifold work with 65mm throttle body?

Garrett brittain

Reaction score
I saw a QnA on American muscle where a staff member said the Ford racing intake manifold for the 3v can hold up to a 65mm throttle body.

this got me thinking, I wonder if I could bolt on the Twin 65mm Ford racing cobra jet throttle body and make it work on my 07 GT? Both of these parts can be found on American muscle if you want to look them up. The 65mm TB is intended for the 07 GT500, but I wonder if it could work for a 3v and this manifold.

most people install 62mm TBs on these cars but I’d like to take it a step further if I can, has anyone tried this or heard anything about it being done? If it’s possible I want to try it

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
If it’s intended for a gt500 an adaptor would fix that. It’s probably too big for na applications anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A TB Upgrade without a forced induction upgrade is generally a waste. Even with a blow through FI it’s nit needed until we’ll after 500 whp

Garrett brittain

Reaction score
A TB Upgrade without a forced induction upgrade is generally a waste. Even with a blow through FI it’s nit needed until we’ll after 500 whp

gotcha, my long long term plans for this car are to go fi with an entirely new rotating assembly, cnc heads etc. I’ve always wanted to build the 3v rather than coyote swap the car just because it’s rare to see a fast 3v.

but before I reach that point I do want to make a somewhat respectable NA build by basically just bolting on as many parts as I can and getting the car tuned to perfection. I know that it’ll never compare to a FI build, but it’s still just interesting to see what all I can do while the car is still na which is what got me thinking on this 65mm tb idea, but thank you for your input

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I saw a QnA on American muscle where a staff member said the Ford racing intake manifold for the 3v can hold up to a 65mm throttle body.

this got me thinking, I wonder if I could bolt on the Twin 65mm Ford racing cobra jet throttle body and make it work on my 07 GT? Both of these parts can be found on American muscle if you want to look them up. The 65mm TB is intended for the 07 GT500, but I wonder if it could work for a 3v and this manifold.

most people install 62mm TBs on these cars but I’d like to take it a step further if I can, has anyone tried this or heard anything about it being done? If it’s possible I want to try it
If the mounting bolt spacing of the FR CobraJet 65mm TB is identical to the OEM 55mm or the FR 62mm TB's then it will most likely be a straight up bolt on affair but I wouldn't know that for sure as I've never contemplated doing this but it would be interesting as if this is so then this 65mm CJ TB should also work w\ an OEM IM.....but since this is designed for the 07 & up GT500 it most likely will need an adapter plate as already mentioned to fit it to the existing IM's bolt spacing pattern. I know an adapter plate exists to adapt the 07-12 OEM GT500 60mm TB to these 3v's IMs but I don't know if it has enough extra metal to allow it to be machined out to accept this 65mm CJ TB.

But if you do decide to go thru w\ all that then know this....you'll most likely have some low speed drivability control issues close to\around idle due to the size of the butterfly plates, especially if you leave the OEM PCV system in service as the PCV's control orifice is sized to coincide w\ the OEM 55mm TB to ensure that enough of the metered air mass flow goes thru the TB butterflies at idle so the PCM can adequately\effectively control engine idle speed of a NA 4.6L 3V. The FR 62mm TB (or any other manuf's 62mm TB) that is used w\ these 3V's are right at the edge of this balance (62mm TB will tend to display some slight idle hunt when PCM is trying to fine control engine idle speeds below 800 RPM's due to the lack of enough metered airflow thru the larger TB butterflies.....I know this from 1st hand experience). This can be rectified if you're willing to go thru all the trouble but for what you'd realistically gain (outside of more snappy throttle tip-in response you'd gain nothing more as the FR 62mm TB is already well oversized for a stock NA 4.6L displacement's max VE at WOT so you'd gain nothing on the top end vs the FR 62mm TB unless you went FI), practically it's not worth the extra costs IMHO in the parts & fitment, tuning & time.....but don't let me dissuade you from wanting to do it if this is something you really want to go thru, just know what you're getting yourself into.....

There's a good reason why the 62mm TB size is the max streetable design limit for these 4.6L 3V's.

It's your car & your money in the end.............

Hope this helps.

Garrett brittain

Reaction score
If the mounting bolt spacing of the FR CobraJet 65mm TB is identical to the OEM 55mm or the FR 62mm TB's then it will most likely be a straight up bolt on affair but I wouldn't know that for sure as I've never contemplated doing this but it would be interesting as if this is so then this 65mm CJ TB should also work w\ an OEM IM.....but since this is designed for the 07 & up GT500 it most likely will need an adapter plate as already mentioned to fit it to the existing IM's bolt spacing pattern. I know an adapter plate exists to adapt the 07-12 OEM GT500 60mm TB to these 3v's IMs but I don't know if it has enough extra metal to allow it to be machined out to accept this 65mm CJ TB.

But if you do decide to go thru w\ all that then know this....you'll most likely have some low speed drivability control issues close to\around idle due to the size of the butterfly plates, especially if you leave the OEM PCV system in service as the PCV's control orifice is sized to coincide w\ the OEM 55mm TB to ensure that enough of the metered air mass flow goes thru the TB butterflies at idle so the PCM can adequately\effectively control engine idle speed of a NA 4.6L 3V. The FR 62mm TB (or any other manuf's 62mm TB) that is used w\ these 3V's are right at the edge of this balance (62mm TB will tend to display some slight idle hunt when PCM is trying to fine control engine idle speeds below 800 RPM's due to the lack of enough metered airflow thru the larger TB butterflies.....I know this from 1st hand experience). This can be rectified if you're willing to go thru all the trouble but for what you'd realistically gain (outside of more snappy throttle tip-in response you'd gain nothing more as the FR 62mm TB is already well oversized for a stock NA 4.6L displacement's max VE at WOT so you'd gain nothing on the top end vs the FR 62mm TB unless you went FI), practically it's not worth the extra costs IMHO in the parts & fitment, tuning & time.....but don't let me dissuade you from wanting to do it if this is something you really want to go thru, just know what you're getting yourself into.....

There's a good reason why the 62mm TB size is the max streetable design limit for these 4.6L 3V's.

It's your car & your money in the end.............

Hope this helps.

Thanks man yes it does help, after reading your post I think I’ll just stick with the 62mm tb once I reach that point. The thought of running something different than everyone else intrigued me but I don’t think it’ll be worth the extra trouble especially since the results wouldn’t be seen until I’m hitting crazy horsepower levels

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
gotcha, my long long term plans for this car are to go fi with an entirely new rotating assembly, cnc heads etc. I’ve always wanted to build the 3v rather than coyote swap the car just because it’s rare to see a fast 3v.

but before I reach that point I do want to make a somewhat respectable NA build by basically just bolting on as many parts as I can and getting the car tuned to perfection. I know that it’ll never compare to a FI build, but it’s still just interesting to see what all I can do while the car is still na which is what got me thinking on this 65mm tb idea, but thank you for your input

The 65mm CJ TB needs an adapter plate to fit on the Ford Performance intake manifold and IMO, the 62mm TB is already big enough for that application even with forced induction.
If you ARE planning to install this manifold and go forced induction later on, it'll have to be a blow through set up such as a centrifugal supercharger or turbo. The latter has more HP potential per lb of boost since you don't have the parasitic draw of a belt driven blower.
A built 3V with a deburred block, forged bottom end with stroker crank, '13 GT500 oil pump with billet gears, '13 GT500 windage tray, and '13 GT500 8.5qt oil pan would easily be able to handle 1000+ crank hp. What do you make this?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back