Wilwood rear brake kit

latch5

forum member
Reaction score
Kit was advertised as specific bolt on for our cars. After parts arrive discovered kit also need Wilwood brake cable ($151+shipping) + longer brake line. Sad part is Wilwood could have easily designed the attacment for the cable to accept stock cable end and mounting caliper in stock position instead of at the 9pm possition would allow use of standard length brake hose. Called tech to discuss these and some other points - waited 10 minutes on hold - left msg - no return call.

:chainsaw:Will remember the poorly designed product and worse customer service for a long time. Buyer beware.

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
Surely if you're going to upgrade to a Wilwood setup, you're going to want to upgrade to braided hose too?

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
return them . the mustang doesn't need any help out back the rears are plenty capable of doing the job. A reason the boss s and r along with the fr500c and s use the stock rear calipers.

Just make sure to flip your pads on the back every few track outings and make sure to lube the slide pins

latch5

forum member
Reaction score
Already have Goodridge braided hoses. They are too short to use. My gripe is if it is 2005 Mustang specific "bolt on" part it should be designed to bolt on to the car it is designed for or the kit should include parts needed to do so.

Powered by Ford

forum member
Reaction score
I have not been impressed with Wilwood's lack of assembly parts. Their kits never seem to have all the parts.

I'd pull them and sell them on eBay. Some sap will want them. The rear brakes on our stangs are more than enough. If you want a larger rotor go with the steeda rear kit which is upgraded DBA rotors (13").

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
I just ran into these today. i really want somthing diffrent for rear rotors and calipers, i had to grid my stocker to fit my drag wheels, and i hate the way they look now. im pretty sure this is the same kit... http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl169.pdf
I wish there was some more info on these about what hits and what fits with them.
I have 18" stock polished 5 spokes on the car for DD but my race wheels are 15x8, jegs. any one have more info on this kit?

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Before you buy that set up talk to someone there ask them how their kit accommodates the rear axle float? How do they prevent kickback of the pistons when the axle slides in and out from side loads? I really can't see it in their drawings and others have had this problem with four piston fixed calipers on SRA cars and it is the reason Ford doesn't bother with offering a fixed caliper rear brake which is fairly common on IRS cars because they don't have a floating axle.

latch5

forum member
Reaction score
I just ran into these today. i really want somthing diffrent for rear rotors and calipers, i had to grid my stocker to fit my drag wheels, and i hate the way they look now. im pretty sure this is the same kit... http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl169.pdf
I wish there was some more info on these about what hits and what fits with them.
I have 18" stock polished 5 spokes on the car for DD but my race wheels are 15x8, jegs. any one have more info on this kit?
The instruction diagram looks exactly like the unit I have. Don't know how the can say it uses factory rear brake assembly unless they are talking about the handle. The diagram shows the drum brake mechanism that acts as a parking brake. What the don't tell you is you need to buy their brake cable kit to hook up to it. I have a brand new one for sale (minus the calipers that can be purchased seperately). I was going to adapt "Brakeman" calipers to match my front ones (didn't work). I went as far as to buy all the cables/lines/fittings before I realized the calipers I wanted to use had a clearance issue.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Before you buy that set up talk to someone there ask them how their kit accommodates the rear axle float? How do they prevent kickback of the pistons when the axle slides in and out from side loads? I really can't see it in their drawings and others have had this problem with four piston fixed calipers on SRA cars and it is the reason Ford doesn't bother with offering a fixed caliper rear brake which is fairly common on IRS cars because they don't have a floating axle.

I am sorry for not understanding but can you explain this? PM me if needed...

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
The axles move in and out the caliper has to move along with it. If the caliper doesn't move the pistons get pushed back into the calipers. If the pistons get pushed in it is called knock back. When you hit the brakes the pistons have to be pushed out before they engage the brakes. The pedal will move farther than normal and if it is too far you might have to hit them twice before you get braking.

This explains knock back but not with a SRA just flexible rotors. http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml

Last edited:

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
...... The pedal will move farther than normal and if it is too far you might have to hit them twice before you get braking.

Not a good thing when trying to haul the beast down from 135+ mph to make the corner.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
The axles move in and out the caliper has to move along with it. If the caliper doesn't move the pistons get pushed back into the calipers. If the pistons get pushed in it is called knock back. When you hit the brakes the pistons have to be pushed out before they engage the brakes. The pedal will move farther than normal and if it is too far you might have to hit them twice before you get braking.

This explains knock back but not with a SRA just flexible rotors. http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml

Good article thanks !

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
My buddy (no longer there, though) at Stillen BrakePro's said the AP Racing rear kit is one of the very few fixed caliper setups that doesn't have knockback problems. It's big money and big install work, but if it works properly then it's an option. So far I'm fine with my stock calipers and rotors.

argonaut

forum member
Reaction score
My buddy (no longer there, though) at Stillen BrakePro's said the AP Racing rear kit is one of the very few fixed caliper setups that doesn't have knockback problems. It's big money and big install work, but if it works properly then it's an option. So far I'm fine with my stock calipers and rotors.
I'm going to guess this is because the AP Racing calipers use anti-knockback springs. On a different car and on the front instead of the rear I have a set of AP Racing CP8350 calipers and they have the anti-knockback springs, along with SS pistons. They work very well.

Tay

forum member
Reaction score

I have the AP Racing 4 wheel kit on my 2011 GT and they work great. That is the reason I went with AP's is because they actually had a 4 wheel kit that works, besides the fact that AP Racing makes awesome brakes. They're even on the new McLaren MP4-12C.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
The instruction diagram looks exactly like the unit I have. Don't know how the can say it uses factory rear brake assembly unless they are talking about the handle. The diagram shows the drum brake mechanism that acts as a parking brake. What the don't tell you is you need to buy their brake cable kit to hook up to it. I have a brand new one for sale (minus the calipers that can be purchased seperately). I was going to adapt "Brakeman" calipers to match my front ones (didn't work). I went as far as to buy all the cables/lines/fittings before I realized the calipers I wanted to use had a clearance issue.

are you selling your entire kit?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back