Window replacement questions?

sajesak

Reaction score
Well... It is time.. Time to replace the large picture window in the front of the house (10 foot wide x 6 foot tall with 3 lower crank out sections) and the bow window in the rear of the house (6 foot wide by 5.5 foot tall with two tall crank out sections). I am trying to figure out who to call as far as companies are concerned.

My wife and I plan on selling this house in a year or two so whatever company/window we choose needs to be cost effective. In other words, no Pellas, Marvins, or other costly options. The windows that are in the house now all have been replaced by a company called "Genex" out of Detroit. I guess the Genex are ok, but I am not sure I would use them again.

The two large remaining windows I believe are Andersen (not sure) and may be original to the house (1969). They are single pane wood windows that are starting to rot badly. They sweat badly and the moisture ends up on the sill and overtime, has rotted the sills away. I have messed with my humidifier an still the windows are drafty and easily get condensation. If I ever hope to sell the house, I will need them replaced.

sajesak

Reaction score
Well... It is time.. Time to replace the large picture window in the front of the house (10 foot wide x 6 foot tall with 3 lower crank out sections) and the bow window in the rear of the house (6 foot wide by 5.5 foot tall with two tall crank out sections). I am trying to figure out who to call as far as companies are concerned.

My wife and I plan on selling this house in a year or two so whatever company/window we choose needs to be cost effective. In other words, no Pellas, Marvins, or other costly options. The windows that are in the house now all have been replaced by a company called "Genex" out of Detroit. I guess the Genex are ok, but I am not sure I would use them again.

The two large remaining windows I believe are Andersen (not sure) and may be original to the house (1969). They are single pane wood windows that are starting to rot badly. They sweat badly and the moisture ends up on the sill and overtime window glass near me, has rotted the sills away. I have messed with my humidifier an still the windows are drafty and easily get condensation. If I ever hope to sell the house, I will need them replaced.
I am all ears... Anyone have large windows replaced in their home? Should I just call wallside and see what they have to say? Open to suggestions. Thanks

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
When we shopped a few years back we found that the Pella windows weren’t really a lot more money, they had a special going on, in the big picture with installation labor etc., there wasn’t much difference. You’ll need double pane for sure to stop the condensation problem.

Milgard is a popular, more economical brand we have here on the west coast. Not sure if they’re available nationally or not.

We went with the Pellas in the end because of the reputation and the special promotion made them about the same price as the Milgards. Having Pellas could be a good selling point too.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I am curious… do you even own a Mustang?

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
If you’re asking me, yes, of course I do. 2013 GT. See my avatar.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Not you Jeff, you have a BAD ASS car!

I am asking Pat Sayjack or whatever his name is...

Mojo88

Reaction score
LOL, I'm 'watching' this thread. I have same situation, a big freaking bay window. I have the Andersen guys coming over on Saturday to work up a quote. But it's gotta be something that has no wood components.

I've been slowly replacing the old wood windows with all-vinyl windows, but all double-hung to this point.

Back