Windows 8/Steam help

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I just got a new gaming laptop, I've been out of the PC gaming scene for about 6-7 years now. I'm not really into FPS games for the PC as I prefer those on a console if at all. I like RTS and RPG games (StarCraft, Empire Earth, Fallout 1&2) so I just signed up for a Steam account. I was looking forward to being able to play some old games that I miss terribly. BUT....I can't seem to get a solid answer on whether or not Steam is even compatible with Windows 8. None of the trailers for the old games will play. So, I thought Steam gave you games that were all patched up and ready to play on modern machines. Is that not the case? Is it just a portal for the same old game, no updates for modernizing the software for use on current OS?

Flapjack? Master of Operating Systems, advice? LOL :D Thanks for educating a dumb old man who just got a computer at home after six years.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Steam only works from the desktop mode and not the MetroUI thing.

Windows 8 is the most POS insulting operating system I have ever seen. They basically called us all morons and stuipd and that is how they designed it.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I was trying from desktop mode. I got a message from Steam saying I needed a certain version of Flash....which I have. Oh well. I'll just keep trying.

Last edited:

VA Raptor

forum member
Reaction score
I just got a new gaming laptop, I've been out of the PC gaming scene for about 6-7 years now. I'm not really into FPS games for the PC as I prefer those on a console if at all. I like RTS and RPG games (StarCraft, Empire Earth, Fallout 1&2) so I just signed up for a Steam account. I was looking forward to being able to play some old games that I miss terribly. BUT....I can't seem to get a solid answer on whether or not Steam is even compatible with Windows 8. None of the trailers for the old games will play. So, I thought Steam gave you games that were all patched up and ready to play on modern machines. Is that not the case? Is it just a portal for the same old game, no updates for modernizing the software for use on current OS?

Flapjack? Master of Operating Systems, advice? LOL :D Thanks for educating a dumb old man who just got a computer at home after six years.

For Flash you will need the version for other browsers. Here's a step-by-step on how to do it http://store.steampowered.com/gotflash.

If you're looking to play a majority of older games check out Good Old Games (www.gog.com) as all of the games there are verified to work on modern operating systems and are DRM free. You may run into a few snags here and there, but most of the time that will be an issue with using an older driver.

Steam only works from the desktop mode and not the MetroUI thing.

Windows 8 is the most POS insulting operating system I have ever seen. They basically called us all morons and stuipd and that is how they designed it.

Steam works fine in the Metro UI using Pin Steam (http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/pin-steam/e697bf8a-8c25-4236-b701-197db3792ecf).

I personally have no issues with Windows 8, but then I'm rarely using the Metro UI when I do.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back