Wood fired furnace?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Back in September my wife and I bought a home heated with propane. Back in November we filled our propane tank (500 gallon) to the max fill of 80% (400 gallons). Cost a little over $850 bucks. Yesterday I checked my tank and it's down to 35% (175 gallons). At 20% we will need to refill.

The house has a secondary heating furnace. It's wood fired. It's not currently in service. Next summer I think I need to service and put into use next winter. I've never used a wood furnace/stove. What should I be aware of?

Obviously I need to buy a proper mix of woods to get my money's worth. Locally it looks like I am going to pay around $83/facecord delivered to my property.

I think I'll need 8-9 facecord. How do I estimate how much to purchase?

Who uses wood fired heating and can offer some experiences?

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
I live in PA and have used both wood and pellet stoves. The age of the stove can be an issues. Older stoves are not nearly as efficient and can allow smoke into the house. Also, the condition and cleanliness of the chimney is very important especially if it hasn't been used for some time. You may want to have it evaluated before lighting any fires.

If you're satisfied everything is ok then next you'll want to buy seasoned hardwood. Make sure they don't slip in in any pine etc as that will definitely produce creosote in the chimney. I'm in SE PA and in my previous house which was about 2500 sq ft I would burn 3-4 chords of wood in a season so you might need a little more but I doubt 8-9. Incidentally, the wood should be stored off the ground, covered and not against you house unless you're a fan of termites.

Good luck!

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I live in PA and have used both wood and pellet stoves. The age of the stove can be an issues. Older stoves are not nearly as efficient and can allow smoke into the house. Also, the condition and cleanliness of the chimney is very important especially if it hasn't been used for some time. You may want to have it evaluated before lighting any fires.

If you're satisfied everything is ok then next you'll want to buy seasoned hardwood. Make sure they don't slip in in any pine etc as that will definitely produce creosote in the chimney. I'm in SE PA and in my previous house which was about 2500 sq ft I would burn 3-4 chords of wood in a season so you might need a little more but I doubt 8-9. Incidentally, the wood should be stored off the ground, covered and not against you house unless you're a fan of termites.

Good luck!

Facecord is different than a real cord. Expect a little less than half of a real cord.

IMO you should be able to find wood cheaper than that. Perhaps you're buying during the wrong time of year?

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Facecord is different than a real cord. Expect a little less than half of a real cord.

IMO you should be able to find wood cheaper than that. Perhaps you're buying during the wrong time of year?

Ahhh.

I agree. You can get a cord (4' x 4' x 8') for $125-$150 in our area.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Do you know what the efficiency of your propane furnace is? If it has a galvanized flue pipe, this would be an 80% unit. Condensing furnaces which use PVC for a flue can be as high as 98% efficient. Updating an older furnace could save you a lot on propane and wood.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's galvanized.

Wood is not that cheap that I've found yet.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
wood isnt cheap. I don't burn in my house but my buddy has an indoor fireplace and we burn a fire pit outdoors every weekend. As stated above, for indoors good hard wood and avoid pine.. I usually go help my friend cut and split wood, it's a lot of work but if you can find someone that wants it gone, it's usually free minus your work.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I have yet to even pay for wood! I simply get on craigslist. There's always someone in my area with a downed tree that they want someone to get haul off. I started doing this because I love smoking foods. I've scored hickory, pecan, and oak. I simply arrive with my trailer and chainsaw and go to town. Due to my climate I rarely use it in the fireplace.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If you cut your own wood it can pay off. I grew up with -20 winters and a mixture of wood and propane heat. To me wood is a four letter word. I have a deep hatred for cutting wood. IMO the best way to go if you can is coal, pellets, or corn. That way you don't have to cut wood. You would have to buy a different furnace though unless you can burn coal in the wood furnace.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back