X3 spark degree adjustments?

sadeg

Reaction score
The adjustable optional parameters on the X3 has the ability to change the spark degree in different RPM ranges. I was wondering if someone can explain what this adjustment does and/or means? and what are the performance gains, if any?

& are there any pereferable spark adjustmenst that you all set?, in order to perhaps increase performance?

BTW my mods on my 07 GT are:
JLT CAI
X3 Bama 93 Race tune
Steeda UDP & CMCV Deletes
Spydershaft
MBRP axle backs

J2L06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Since you have a BAMA tune your probably set optimal.
If you want to play with it only try 1 deg at a time,
ADV will give a little more power, used when going to higher
octane fuel, go to far and you will get ping.
RET if you have ping to solve problem, or to use lower
octane fuel.

sadeg

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :), just to reconfirm, by ADV, you mean to set spark degree at +1 degree between the rpm ranges?

Stangtuner

Eaton Poosi
Reaction score
Assuming you have good fuel...

Spark advance will give you better low end torque. Only advance this under 3500rpms.

Spark retard will give you better top end power. Only retard this above 3500rpms.

If you already have a BAMA tune like J2 said, then most likely there is little to be gained safely by adjusting timing. Also remember if you do decide to play with the timing you also have fuel curves that need to adjusted accordingly. Anytime you advance timing you will need to richen the fuel mixture justa bit. The opposite is true for retarding timing.

sadeg

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your replies guys.

I do have good 93 octane fuel readily available in where I live.

So these are the settings I plan to do:

Global Spark advance to + 1 degrees
0-2000 rpm + 1 degree
2000-4000 rpm +1 degree
4000-8000 rpm -1 degree

In order to get slightly better low end torque & high end power?

Please correct me and/or give suggestions

Highly appreciated :)

Blow-By Racing

forum member
Reaction score
if you have a tune from Doug @ Bama - I wouldn't touch it; his tunes are almost perfect...... He know his stuff

DKO

Shut up and die!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if you have a tune from Doug @ Bama - I wouldn't touch it; his tunes are almost perfect...... He know his stuff

That's the same thing I was told by my tuner. I haven't put mine on the dyno to confirm yet, but he's said there probably won't be any changes to be made, that Doug's are usually pretty spot on. The most I'll be able to do is maybe bump timing a bit since I've got a 91 tune but 93 is now available.

2005 mustang gt

Reaction score
hi,
i have 05 mustang gt with c&l cai,bbk lt header, bbk x pipe, corsa extreme muflers, steeda udp and sct x3.
can any one help me for tuning,pls?

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score

Spark advance will give you better low end torque. Only advance this under 3500rpms.

Spark retard will give you better top end power. Only retard this above 3500rpms.

This is not correct.

AMChrisRose

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
hi,
i have 05 mustang gt with c&l cai,bbk lt header, bbk x pipe, corsa extreme muflers, steeda udp and sct x3.
can any one help me for tuning,pls?

Easy enough. I don't want to jump in after another vendor already did. But if you're looking for Bama tunes (like the posts above you), Bama is now Bama Custom Tuning at www.AmericanMuscle.com.

Hope this helps!

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

:wtf1:

I hope this was a joke....

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
I would leave the settings alone and have car dyno tuned if you want more than mail order tune.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I don't advise messing with the settings.
Myself personally since I can't stop touching shit, I used to add 2* of spark on the low end 2-4000 and did feel extra oomph but returned to default just because I don't have a dyno to see the affects of the change I made. Trust me the tuners know what they are doing. :)

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
Trust the tuners.

I don't mess with mine at all. And usually if I think of something I might want to change, I'll call Greg (At Racers Edge in CA) before I fuck with it. Everytime I've asked him about the tune - he's already thought of it.

When I put my O/R X on, I asked him if he needed to resend the file to shut off my rear O2s.... NOPE! he figured I'd add that someday, and already shut them off :)

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
DO NOT touch that unless you are strapped to a dyno, with a wideband and monitoring equipment around. unless i missed it, if you have little to no 3v tuning expierence dont dick with it.

CaliSpecial

TVS Posse!
Reaction score

Spark retard will give you better top end power. Only retard this above 3500rpms.QUOTE]

This is not correct.

Understatement. LOL

LOL! I wondered when someone would pick up on this...

DO NOT touch that unless you are strapped to a dyno, with a wideband and monitoring equipment around. unless i missed it, if you have little to no 3v tuning expierence dont dick with it.

This is good advice. Listen to him!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back