Xbox - Forza Newbie question

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So my son got a Xbox 360 for his recent birthday. We went to Gamestop and picked up a few games. One of which is Forza 3(I know it's the older generation - but for a 8 year old the $16 cost (used) was too cheap to pass on) which I want to play as well.

So last night we are playing and I could not drive the car worth a shit!

My question - most of you guys who are gamers, do you use the standard controller or a wheel? If you use the std controller, what tips do you have, to make the steering work well.

TIA
A gamer n00b

Surfstang2020

forum member
Reaction score
I use standard controller but
Then again I'm no expert on forza 4 maybe sky render or some Of the better players will chime in I've tryedthe wheel but it harder try starting out with a smaller powered rear wheel drive car like a miata or old school m3 and do all th suspension work to it and that's how you'll learn better that's the advise I got from sky render and it helped me to get better

Sent from your moms phone

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
So my son got a Xbox 360 for his recent birthday. We went to Gamestop and picked up a few games. One of which is Forza 3(I know it's the older generation - but for a 8 year old the $16 cost (used) was too cheap to pass on) which I want to play as well.

So last night we are playing and I could not drive the car worth a shit!

My question - most of you guys who are gamers, do you use the standard controller or a wheel? If you use the std controller, what tips do you have, to make the steering work well.

TIA
A gamer n00b

I use the standard controller. My advice is don't start racing with the assists all on, you'll only teach yourself to use them as a crutch. I usually run with only the ABS on, TCS on, and the braking line (because I am teh suck at apexing). Recently I've been trying to teach myself to play without the TCS. It's hard after having it on for so long, requires a lot more throttle control instead of just mash n go.

The game is a lot of fun though. It just takes some practice to get the hang of it. Hell, even my 61 year old dad is having a blast with it. I got a text last night that he got car sick on one of the hill climb tracks. LOL

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Turn all of the assists except braking and steering assist ON. It's nearly impossible to drive using only a controller otherwise.

Also, start learning to drive in a C-class car, not a highly-modified Shelby Cobra.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Rear wheel drive cars arent worth shit in that game. Do yourself a favor and get something all wheel drive or something you can convert to all wheel drive. Get yourself a Nissan Datsun and make it retarded powerful with the skyline engine swap and put down well over 900 horse and put the bugati to shame.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL, well we started with the GTP cars, me an Audi and him a Peugeot, we went right to the fastest rides.

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
The hardest part about the game is how real it is to reacting to your inputs. The advice that helped me was to be smooth with your controls, its not like the need for speed games that are jerky and let you compinsate for poor driving technique. It will take some practice but my 6 year old can play pretty well now. He still doesn't grasp that when you brake going into a corner that your tires are being loaded and you lose that friction to turn the car. Or that flooring it out of a corner will result in spinning out and transferring the weight back reducing traction up front. Man what kids have to learn these days haha.

skyline247

forum member
Reaction score
I use the standard control. I suggest you play with all the assists on until you get the hang of it. AWD cars are the easiest to handle followed by FWD and RWD. Start with low power cars and get used to controlling the throttle around turns. I think RWD is the hardest to work with. If you mash the throttle while still turning, you will most likely spin out. Once you get used to it, take all the assists off and have at it. I think you have the rewind function in Forza 3...you can use it to practice going around specific turns until you get it right.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

The hardest part about the game is how real it is to reacting to your inputs. The advice that helped me was to be smooth with your controls, its not like the need for speed games that are jerky and let you compinsate for poor driving technique. It will take some practice but my 6 year old can play pretty well now. He still doesn't grasp that when you brake going into a corner that your tires are being loaded and you lose that friction to turn the car. Or that flooring it out of a corner will result in spinning out and transferring the weight back reducing traction up front. Man what kids have to learn these days haha.

+1. Its easier to turn if you aren't braking or accelerating. Just make sure to ease into the throttle as you exit the turn. Reducing the sensitivity can help you out as well as tuning specific components of the car, particularly the suspension. I always changed the brake pressure so that my tires wouldn't lock up when I tapped the brakes (ABS off). Play around with the different settings. Eventually, you'll find out what works best for you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Then you don't know how to drive.

I'll have to agree with this. My fastest lap times are in RWD cars. I suck at tuning and setting them up though. :)

I disagree. Turn all of the assists except braking and steering assist ON. It's nearly impossible to drive using only a controller otherwise.

Also, start learning to drive in a C-class car, not a highly-modified Shelby Cobra.

I seem to do OK with the controller... :)

darkstar november

magical turning mustang
Reaction score
Im sorry that im bad at driving in a video game.
most of my real life driving experience carries over into forza

my rwd cars are my fastest

awd cars push at the limit in the game, the only way to cure that is to dial in oversteer and i dont want to make my cars handle worse to be able to handle turns.

fwd low power cars are the easiest to learn the game with, turn off assists and spend some times with them

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
I'm a long time GT guy so I use GT style controls. That's right, D pad steering and A and X for gas and brake. I use the triggers for shifting. People hate on me but I'm slowly knocking off rivals with this setup.

I use only abs and tcs since forza can't seem to make full on racing tires grip at all. With GT I am able to shut off all assist.

Start with miatas. They will help you learn car control and clean lines in a hurry.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how about how you actually use the joystick (NO HOMO) to steer. I found it difficult to make subtle movements to adjust the cars track posititon.

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
how about how you actually use the joystick (NO HOMO) to steer. I found it difficult to make subtle movements to adjust the cars track posititon.
After 15 years of using a D pad while racing, I've become very good at being able to enter quick movements and subtle direction changes with it. If I use the stick I'm all over the place.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I used the D-Pad for years, until I got Forza 3. Then I forced myself to use the Joystick (NO HOMO). There's no comparison. However accurate you think you can be with the D-pad, analog controls are an order of magnitude better.

Think of it this way. With a D-pad, you either turn the wheel or you don't. In order to corner, you have to continually tap the D-pad. If you watch a replay, you will see your car turn in jerky quantum increments. When you use the analog stick, you can make the turns gradual, smooth movements, which improves your time.

Also, the triggers are much better on the XBOX for throttle/brake control, because you can ease onto and off of them as opposed to all-or-nothing. Same concept as steering. PlayStation never got their analog triggers to work properly, whereas the actual buttons on the PS3 controller are analog. Not the case with the XBOX.

the only assist i use is tcs on prototypes, i run cars like they run in real life, street cars, i sturn it all of, manual with clutch, low level race cars tcs with man and clutch, prototypes manual no clutch tcs

I told him to turn on the assists to LEARN TO DRIVE. Of course you're faster with them off.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back