Xpel headlight/tail light (smoked) overlays.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Need some feed back. I've been doing some google searches as well as searches on the site here.

I'm looking at the Xpel headlight/tail light overlays (smoked) because they're lighter than the regular tinted vinyl, but they're probably the most expensive overlays I've seen.

Are they're any other overlays kits out there that have a light smoke shade to them without being a dark tint?

And no, I'm not interested in doing the nightshades...call me lazy, just don't feel like dicking with it.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Crap....glad there was a redirect link left over in the chit chat...lol
:rolleyes:

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
I have laminx ony turn and headlights. Super thick only thing is installation is kind of hard to do and is easier if you have the headlights taken off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I have laminx ony turn and headlights. Super thick only thing is installation is kind of hard to do and is easier if you have the headlights taken off.

Checking them out now.

I appreciate it.

Cal26Stang

forum member
Reaction score
I bought some Rvinyl tint on eBay, it worked pretty good, went on easy and was a lot cheaper than those other ones

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I bought some Rvinyl tint on eBay, it worked pretty good, went on easy and was a lot cheaper than those other ones

I'm just going to be honest here. But I don't have the patience and I'm too much of a perfectionist to do this....it would end up pissing me off in a big way, I just about grantee it.

But, I appreciate the suggestion.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just going to be honest here. But I don't have the patience and I'm too much of a perfectionist to do this....it would end up pissing me off in a big way, I just about grantee it.

But, I appreciate the suggestion.

The laminx stuff comes overzied so you have cut.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Wait...so I'm going to have to trim out the reverse lights too?

damn, man....lol

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Wait...so I'm going to have to trim out the reverse lights too?

damn, man....lol

Only ever did my headlights fogs and turn. All came overzied so you have to trim. the fogs and headlights are easier to do off the car while the turn are the size of what is shown through the bumper. I love my laminx since it is super thick but with that installation is made harder.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I ended up ordering the Lamin-x.

Honestly, I'm not overly impressed.

The headlight kit was supposed to come with the two headlights, fog lights and two front markers.

Rear tail light kit came with the tail lights (duh) and rear markers.

Had to order a universal kit for the third brake light (would think that would be part of the tail light kit...but whatever).

First problem:
Headlights went on without a problem...now the fog light tint on the other hand. Well, it's about three inches too small. There would probably be at least an inch and a half to two inch ring around the tint where the actual fog lights would show.

Second Problem:
Every vinyl kit I've seen for tail light tint for the 10 - 12 has the revers lights cut out. This kit does not. So, at first I was like "what the hell, I'll just leave the reverse lights covered up.
Well, when you wet down the tail lights and the vinyl, where do you think all that water is going to go? Thats right, in the recess where the revers lights are. You have not choice but to cut out reverse lights.
Now, I've done mechanical overlay drawings years ago and was pretty good at it. With these overlays being as thick as they are, trying to do nice strait lines and radious corners....what a PITA.

Over all, I know Fuerte said there was some trimming, and I was ok with this....but the trimming that had to be done was inconsistent. Some pieces I was trimming 1/4 - 1/3 of an inch off the sides. I've ordered vinyl tint from other companies like American Muscle and they were dead on accurate sizing. Before anyone says I should have had a professional install these - I've done tint like this on three other Mustangs I've had and have never had issues. It's not rocket science.

I've got it looking "ok", but if you really look at it, some of the cuts around the reverse lights are not as clean as I would have liked.

I'm going to contact Lamin-X about the fog lights and the tail lights not having the reverse lights cut out....so we'll see.

As it stands...If I had to do it again...I'd go with another company.

****Edit. The headlight issue (fog lights being too small) was my mistake. I apparently ordered the v6 kit as opposed to the GT kit.
They offered to send me the GT fogs with a restocking fee. I'm honestly not interested in putting the money into that and would rather put it in towards possibly doing some different tail light tint that has the reverse lights precut. But I'll do that at a later date if I can't clean up the cuts some.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back