XXX miles to E keeps changing with each fill up; WTF?

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I first got the car, it would say 300 miles to E on fill-ups. Fine.

Get a 91 tune, CAI, O/R-H, it says 325 miles to E on fill-ups. Awesome!

Next fill-up, goes back to 300.

Re-load tune for separate issue, goes back to 325.

Couple of fill-ups later, back to 300.

Not the end of the world, but any reason as to why this would happen?

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
Just a guess, but when you load the tune it resets to a default and then adjusts based on your driving?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Exactly its adjusted based on driving style. You reset it everytime you load a new tune.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
The number is based on your MPG so it resets every time you reset you MPG. You reset your MPG everytime you load a tune.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've only loaded it twice; the initial time and again about 7 months later to attempt to fix something else.

I just don't understand how the miles available in the tank would change between fill-ups, especially given that I drive the same way every day. I totally get how the average MPG could change, but it just seems like that number wouldn't change. Today was a prime example. It was 325 last week when I filled up and this afternoon it went down to 305.

It's not anything to make me want to burn the car to the ground, but I was just curious.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
Everyone else hit the nail on the head. Your current mpg is what determines the Miles to empty. Here recently I've been getting about 400 miles before empty when I combine miles traveled with miles remaining.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
My MPG reading is anywhere from .5 to 1 mpg low per tank versus 20k miles of hand calculations.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Everyone else hit the nail on the head. Your current mpg is what determines the Miles to empty. Here recently I've been getting about 400 miles before empty when I combine miles traveled with miles remaining.

You must be babying it, live on flat land, drive all highway and hardly ever shift passed 2200 :)

Last edited:

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
You get 300+ miles per tank? I get about 220..

I guess thats just the price I pay for doing the full tilt boogie all the time :D

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
You get 300+ miles per tank? I get about 220..

I guess thats just the price I pay for doing the full tilt boogie all the time :D

All depends on your MPG and how low you go before fill ups.

Its pretty easy to figure out why some people see 300+ and others are barely getting over 200.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
are you using the numbers on the dash?

Try doing it the old school way and use a calculator.

There is also an app called Road Trip. It will do everything for you. You just input the price per gallon, how many gallons, and mileage on the odometer at the time of fill up. It will graph out your MPG.

EcoBoosted F-150

forum member
Reaction score
Lund 93 Tune, JLT CAI, OR XPipe, Boss 302 intake manifold, autmoatic with stock 3.15 gears = 26.8mpg @ 60MPH but normal driving im getting 22mpg. I average about 320 with the current setup but if i baby it i get around 400. Like everyone else is saying it is based on your last MPG average. Drive like a bat out of hell get 12MPG = 192 miles till empty, drive like grandma and not race every honda you come across and get 320-400 miles till empty.

milgt

Reaction score
Another good website to use is Fuelly.com it will calculate everything just like the above mentioned and graph everything for you. They also have a phone app I use it every fill up and keep track to see how well I'm doing with the car.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is this a serious question?

Given that when I filled it up yesterday, it said that it was at 300, I drive 20 miles home, go back out later and it says 296 miles to E, I find that at least mildly concerning. I totally get what everyone is saying about the driving habits, but mine are pretty much the same every day. I hit the same traffic every morning and afternoon and don't go anywhere in the evenings.

So forgive me when I fill it up and there's a noticeable change if I scratch my head a bit.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back