Year One Fast Friday Atlanta Dragway

Pete_Rockett

Reaction score
Anyone been? I'm going tomorrow night. What time should I show up? Early to get in line for tech? Any special rules I should know?

I can't find anything online about it.

Thanks!

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Anyone been? I'm going tomorrow night. What time should I show up? Early to get in line for tech? Any special rules I should know?

I can't find anything online about it.

Thanks!

Haven't been yet, but I'm going next week.

Pete_Rockett

Reaction score
On another forum I heard you need a helmet for 13.5 and under, FWIW. Guy says show at 5:45 and get two quick runs before the crowd arrives, then 30-45 mins per pass after that.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Holy crap, that's a long wait in between runs. Definitely wasn't expecting that. Usually its 13.9 or lower for helmets, buy maybe they have their own rules.

jsnyng

Reaction score
On another forum I heard you need a helmet for 13.5 and under, FWIW. Guy says show at 5:45 and get two quick runs before the crowd arrives, then 30-45 mins per pass after that.

I'm that "guy". :thumb: The last time I went to Commerce (September 2010), I was in line @ 5:45 before the gates opened and was about the 10th in line. I was able to get 4 runs in between 6-7, 2 runs between 7-8, and I bounced after a final run at about 8:30 because the line was getting ridiculous. Also, it was about 95 degrees with 300% humidity that day and you can't run the AC in the staging lanes.

Holy crap, that's a long wait in between runs. Definitely wasn't expecting that. Usually its 13.9 or lower for helmets, buy maybe they have their own rules.

I was wrong about the 13.5, it is actually 13.99 and faster as the rule.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
That sucks. I was able to do as many runs as my engine could handle when I went to Reynolds about a month ago.

jsnyng

Reaction score
That sucks. I was able to do as many runs as my engine could handle when I went to Reynolds about a month ago.

I also suggested to the OP that he should go to Reynolds. The track prep is MUCH better, they want your business and treat you well, and there aren't nearly as many Civics and 240SX's trying to run 30PSI of boost and blowing oil all over the track. Also, at Reynolds I don't think they would put up with what happened to me the last time I was at Commerce. A dude who quick staged (double lit the tree) had his girlfriend in his Chevy 3500 truck who didn't have her seatbelt on shooting me a bird out of the passenger side window while I was staging my car yelling, "Ford sucks!" That shit would NOT be tolerated at Reynolds.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
I also suggested to the OP that he should go to Reynolds. The track prep is MUCH better, they want your business and treat you well, and there aren't nearly as many Civics and 240SX's trying to run 30PSI of boost and blowing oil all over the track. Also, at Reynolds I don't think they would put up with what happened to me the last time I was at Commerce. A dude who quick staged (double lit the tree) had his girlfriend in his Chevy 3500 truck who didn't have her seatbelt on shooting me a bird out of the passenger side window while I was staging my car yelling, "Ford sucks!" That shit would NOT be tolerated at Reynolds.

Definitely not. They told me to roll up my windows the one time I forgot. Crazy. I'll give next Friday a shot, but thanks for letting me know not to expect much.

Pete_Rockett

Reaction score

I've already set up tomorrow with several other guys so we'll give it a shot. Reynolds is definitely on the list, though!

jsnyng

Reaction score
Definitely not. They told me to roll up my windows the one time I forgot. Crazy. I'll give next Friday a shot, but thanks for letting me know not to expect much.

I'm not trying to trash Atlanta Dragway as a whole. If you run their points races or a national event, the track is well-prepped and the facility is top-notch. On Friday nights though, it's the wild west.

I've already set up tomorrow with several other guys so we'll give it a shot. Reynolds is definitely on the list, though!

Have a great time, and be sure to post up your times.

Peaky85

forum member
Reaction score
If you are there to really find out your car's true potential, why would you want to hot lap it one pass after the other ? To realise it's consistancy and best performance, take that 30-45 minute break between run's and let it cool down some. If it is just tree practice your after, launch it and run it out through the 1/8th and shut it down. Just a suggestion !

Pete_Rockett

Reaction score
I'm primarily running to learn how. At age 64, I have never been in a legal drag race. Done it on the streets, but I want learn technique first then go for time.

Bad Intention

forum member
Reaction score
I'm primarily running to learn how. At age 64, I have never been in a legal drag race. Done it on the streets, but I want learn technique first then go for time.

Are you going to be running street tire or Drag Radials. when my car was stock my best times were leaving just above idle. hope you have fun and post your times.

Pete_Rockett

Reaction score
Street tires. Car is stock. I'll be experimenting with the launch, but I think your advice (just above idle) is a good start. I don't want to sit there melting my tires!

Last edited:

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Lower your street tires to like 15 lbs of your just gonna be doing a burnout contest through 1st and 2nd.
I'm going to the Friday night thing at Reynolds tonight...gotta go swap my rear tires out in a minute...

jsnyng

Reaction score
Don't forget traction control all the way off (6-second hold trick). Your car may react differently than mine did, but if I launched off idle or slightly above and just put it on the floor, I'd spin all the way through first and most of 2nd in my auto. My fastest 60' time on the factory 19" Pirelli P-Zero Nero's I originally had FELT like my slowest 60' time. On that launch I tried to launch it as if I was leaving a traffic light very hard without spinning the tires. Don't worry nearly as much about reaction time tonight. Try to cut the best 60's you can. I got my best down to a 1.88 on the street tires which equated to a 12.825 @ 110 with just a Bama tune, CAI, and the 3.15's. My best time @ Reynolds with a Brenspeed tune, CAI, suspension, and 3.73's was 12.21 @ 116.

jsnyng

Reaction score
Lower your street tires to like 15 lbs of your just gonna be doing a burnout contest through 1st and 2nd.
I'm going to the Friday night thing at Reynolds tonight...gotta go swap my rear tires out in a minute...

I totally disagree with this advice. Sorry, keeno. I wouldn't run the P-Zero Neros any less than 28lbs. It is still a street radial. If anything, I'd pump the fronts UP to 40lbs. for less rolling resistance. I'm not a fan at all of lowering street tire pressures. YMMV.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
I totally disagree with this advice. Sorry, keeno. I wouldn't run the P-Zero Neros any less than 28lbs. It is still a street radial. If anything, I'd pump the fronts UP to 40lbs. for less rolling resistance. I'm not a fan at all of lowering street tire pressures. YMMV.
Oh well, worked for me! Aired them back up to 35 for the ride home. Mine arent P-zero's.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back