YSI-B Upgrade Pic Heavy

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
I ran those DW300 pumps for a couple data logs. Kept having a lose of pressure up top so I pulled them and went with a Fore return setup. Thought pumps may have been an issue but they were not, ended up having a loose crossover fitting lol.

Those pumps are impressive for sure. I still have mine just in case.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Very nice package my man. Your setup is a prime example of how a lot of the community (not much this board though) seems to think that you just buy a blower kit, turn it up to 11, and make ALL THE POWER!!! And they're wrong. It takes a lot of work and a "systems" approach. You don't make 700+hp "by accident".

Kudos

46addict

Reaction score
RE5vyTn.jpg

Got a few noob questions as I am new to boost and tuning in general.
1) My dyno graph had similar fluctuations in the upper end like yours does. My tuner did not comment on it but is this typical for a centrifugal boosted car?

2) And are you still using the Tial BV? I assume you had to order the supercharger version so it stays open under vacuum?

Postman

forum member
Reaction score
If KHALL doesn't mind I'll answer this one.

The fluctuation at the top of the graph is due to the lack of timing and the waste gate opening.

Once the waste gate opens the blower is consuming power instead of making power. Think of it like this. I'm using 1hp from my engine to spin the blower and in return I'm getting lets say 5hp in return. (I'm just picking numbers) Once the waste gate opens I'm still using up that 1hp but there is no return so that 1HP is completely lost meaning the power from that point/rpm must go down as there is no return on my investment.

I can make up for this loss with timing. However I can only add more timing if the octane of the fuel is there to support it.

Originally the graph nosed over hard at 18* of timing. As we added timing the graph got better and better. Each dyno pull we added a degree and pulled a spark plug. Each dyno pull got a fresh spark plug so we could read the timing mark. At 21* I felt the timing mark was where it needed to be for a safe tune on 100* fuel and meth so we stopped there.

There is no doubt that a few more degrees of timing would have made the graph look better up top and made a bigger number but that's were I feel the dyno becomes a tool and not the end all be all.

At this point the car needs to go to the track and clicked off on the top end to check the plugs. We will use that data to add timing and fine tune the combo. Once it's fine tuned and put back on the dyno I'm sure the graph will look a lot different.

Hope this helps.

46addict

Reaction score
If the engine was not wastegated would timing still play a role in the fluctuation?
I assume your response is specific to this particular car as there would be too many variables. I suppose in a scenario where there is too much timing for the given octane, timing retard will set in and cause a fluctuation as well.

Postman

forum member
Reaction score
If the engine was not wastegated would timing still play a role in the fluctuation?

Yes. If your graph looks like this one and you don't have a waste gate IMO you have a nice safe tune.

OR your combo of parts isn't designed to go that high in the rpms.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Nice work.
Thanks':beer:

Very nice package my man. Your setup is a prime example of how a lot of the community (not much this board though) seems to think that you just buy a blower kit, turn it up to 11, and make ALL THE POWER!!! And they're wrong. It takes a lot of work and a "systems" approach. You don't make 700+hp "by accident".

Kudos

:beer: It's been a long time in the making, thanks'

Got a few noob questions as I am new to boost and tuning in general.
1) My dyno graph had similar fluctuations in the upper end like yours does. My tuner did not comment on it but is this typical for a centrifugal boosted car?

2) And are you still using the Tial BV? I assume you had to order the supercharger version so it stays open under vacuum?

Normally on this motor we run it to 23degs of timing up top and it smooths out, this makes for a great power graph but it's in a controlled environment and a few deg's of timing is always pulled before you leave and top fattened up, then when it get's to the track you can always work your way back. The dyno pull starts out with converter locked in 4th gear from the start, it gives you a good peek at the performance under full load of the SC and Rear End on the engine, at the track it's going to get a little wilder with the 4100 stall, so breaking the tires loose or flaring of the rpms till you dial in the shift points can take you into that upper rpm range and we want that to be fat and safe .The other bit of fluctuation is wastegate creep, if I used backside pressure some of that would be more defined when it opens.
I still use the Tial BOV shown in the pics, I think it's a 3# spring,works great.

Last edited:

black N boosted

Boosted
Reaction score
Where did u run the passenger side pcv to? On the Paxton its ran to the bottom of the s style intake, where did u run it to on a blow thru setup?

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
If you look in the 5th pic in the original post, there's a moroso oil catch can on the driver's side mounted behind the bumper.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
^ This...

One thing about running breathers with a hose to a catch can is make sure the can has a large open end with filter. I would keep the hoses as short as possible, I have the original vent on the passenger side going to another can. Any back pressure due to restrictions is going to be trouble, if your oil level stick keeps coming unseated you have a back pressure problem. When I move the battery to the trunk I'm going to add another Morso can to the passenger side and run breather exits to separate cans with shorter hoses and the largest I.D. I can get.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Well back to the garage, time to swap the trans. It took one hard run down the track to burn up the Level 10 trans. So it's 23 degrees, garage door open so I can get underneath the car and pull the 5R55S to swap in a 4R70W. This is a PITA job by yourself with a low lift, but it's doable. Hopefully this trans handles the YSI power a little longer. Since it was an auto I'm going to just add a second trans cooler to the original system.

c5z42hj.jpg

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Kurt best of luck with the 4R70W install! Where are you going to put the second trans cooler?

Thank's Scott, I plan on putting it under the front bumper clip passenger side where I use to have my Snow meth pump. If more room is needed I can remove the windshield washer reservoir, I'll make a smaller quart size one and put it in another location. Maybe even hook up an electric cooling fan I can switch on during Track runs. I'm not going to lockup the converter on 1/4 mile drags so it will add additional heat to the fluid. Normal driving I'll program the converter to lock.

Yeah, that's no fun.

I can just see the cussin that's going to happen when I crawl under that beast to jam in the 4r70w. The good news is I don't have to mess with putting all those electrical connectors on the 5R55S.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back