Zex Nitrous purge leak at Fitting on zex box

choustonls1

Chouston
Reaction score
:mad2:I have the zex kit installed on my 05 mustang gt, and I bought the zex purge kit and this thing pisses me off cuz no matter how much i tighten it on the zex nitrous box it still leaks and they say it doesnt require thread sealer, and it also leaks on the fitting where the hex plug is, so Im thinking about scraping it and just purging into the motor, I'm just running a 75 shot, any help or opinions will be much appreciated

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
:mad2:I have the zex kit installed on my 05 mustang gt, and I bought the zex purge kit and this thing pisses me off cuz no matter how much i tighten it on the zex nitrous box it still leaks and they say it doesnt require thread sealer, and it also leaks on the fitting where the hex plug is, so Im thinking about scraping it and just purging into the motor, I'm just running a 75 shot, any help or opinions will be much appreciated

Well, how about you try thread sealer.

Last edited:

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can take the box apart and add some thread sealer around the threads where the fitting goes into the solenoids.

Or try a different hose.

choustonls1

Chouston
Reaction score
I was gonna get some teflon paste and put it on where the fitting goes onto the box but wanted to get opinions because they say ur not suppose to use anykind of teflon on the fittings?

choustonls1

Chouston
Reaction score
its not leaking at the solenoid its leaking at the fitting that connects to the nitrous management unit where the 4an fitting with the 90 degree angle attached

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
My zex system leaked aswell.
I think the main concern about teflon is to not use the tape.
A good thread sealer and no shortage of torque cured my problem.

choustonls1

Chouston
Reaction score
I guess I will goto the store and get some permatex thread sealer... How long should I wait to let it dry b4 I test it and see if it dont leak?

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
It usually stays in liquid form, but No harm leaving it overnight if you want.
I don't think there is any cure time needed.
If the instructions say otherwise, do so.

choustonls1

Chouston
Reaction score
Ok thanks I just want to be sure I don't want any of that stuff goin into the line and messin up the solenoids.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Stay 2 threads back from the end to ensure you don't get any where it's not supposed to be.

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
just be careful with paste. it will ruin a solenoid in a heart beat. we recommend blue lock-tite.

ummduh

forum member
Reaction score
it depends on the type of fitting.

If it's an AN style fitting the threads don't have anything to do with sealing other than supplying the torque. All the sealing happens at the flare, so if you can't get it to seal a little bit of pipe dope on the flared surface is all you'd need. Or more torque on the nut.

If it is a stainless to stainless threaded fitting, you do need some type of lubricant to keep it from galling bad on you as you tighten.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back