Beginner skywatcher?

07ponyJL

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's hard to search on a phone so I apologize if this has already been talked about. I've been interested in astronomy since I was little and had a cheap telescope till recently and it is missing even though it hasn't been used for about 7 years.
Anyways, is there is anyone on here that has knowledge of telescopes or astronomy I would really appreciate it if you could recommend a good telescope for me and any tips and pointers? I'm sure it's not as simple as point and look. I don't want to spend $500 on a telescope just yet since I'm just starting but I'd like to have something that has good strength and focus. Thanks for looking and the help.

07ponyJL

forum member
Reaction score
I was looking for a tripod. I live in the country and have alot of room outside and every window inside has a tree right next to it. I was just looking on Craigslist for one and saw one just like this, I think they wanted $150 for it, obviously used.

07ponyJL

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I'll probably go with the one you sent me. It's in my price range and its new so I don't have to worry about the abuse it may have been subjected to.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...12/sc/398/p/102004.uts?refineByCategoryId=398

This is the one you should get. I've been into astronomy for 20+yrs even took astronomy in college. The tripod is ok but you are paying more for the tripod and less for the optics. The dobsonian mount is the most cost effective. The newtonian reflector is the simplest design. One 6" mirror at the bottom, one small 1" mirror at 45 degrees at the top plus the eyepiece. This is the gold standard for beginners to intermediates. Every astronomy forum will give this exact same advice.

The one linked to above is a smaller 4.5" dia mirror. The f4 means is has to bend the light more than the longer f8. The f8 will produce a much sharper image. The 6" mirror will collect more light than the 4.5".

I have the 8" version of the Dob mount Newtonian refelector, it has the optics of a $3000 scope, just without all the extra electronics and expensive mount. Put your money into the optics not the mount and you have a better experience. Also pick up a copy of Turn Left at Orion. That single book will tell you everything you need to know about finding all of the best things in the night sky to see.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's not as simple as point and look.

I forgot to say that the Dob mount is exactly that "point and look". The equatorial mount requires set up every time. You need to line it up with the Earth axis. When you get it right you then only need to turn one knob to keep the object you are looking at in the field of view as the Earth turns. A good equatorial mount when set up correctly does work very well. Unfortunately you will not get a good one with a $300 scope.

The Dob mount moves up and down on the center pivot and the swivels on the table mounted just above the tripod on the ground. You just move it around by hand.

Ok i'm done for now, if you have any questions let me know I'll be glad to help. But I guarantee you will be impressed with a 6" Dob. Its only $60 more than the 4.5" tripod and it is easily twice the telescope.

07ponyJL

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...12/sc/398/p/102004.uts?refineByCategoryId=398

This is the one you should get. I've been into astronomy for 20+yrs even took astronomy in college. The tripod is ok but you are paying more for the tripod and less for the optics. The dobsonian mount is the most cost effective. The newtonian reflector is the simplest design. One 6" mirror at the bottom, one small 1" mirror at 45 degrees at the top plus the eyepiece. This is the gold standard for beginners to intermediates. Every astronomy forum will give this exact same advice.

The one linked to above is a smaller 4.5" dia mirror. The f4 means is has to bend the light more than the longer f8. The f8 will produce a much sharper image. The 6" mirror will collect more light than the 4.5".

I have the 8" version of the Dob mount Newtonian refelector, it has the optics of a $3000 scope, just without all the extra electronics and expensive mount. Put your money into the optics not the mount and you have a better experience. Also pick up a copy of Turn Left at Orion. That single book will tell you everything you need to know about finding all of the best things in the night sky to see.

That thing is a hoss, looks like a cannon. The price is good, I live in bowling green, KY which is where western Kentucky university is and thought about going to their astronomy night and getting their input but I'm more of a give me a push and I'll be fine learner. There's a lot more detail that goes into these than I imagined so I feel like I'm getting in over my head but I think it'll be worth it. I just ordered that telescope by the way, now my next question is; is there anything such as lens pieces I need to buy for it or filters, I think is what they were called? I saw where it comes with a 25mm but didn't know. If there is one that may enhance or clear up what I'm looking at?

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good choice you will not be disappointed. It is a little big but it is not that heavy and it fits in a closet or corner easy.

Don't worry you are not in over your head. It is easier than you may think. And yes there are different eye pieces. They change the magnification. The 25mm is moderate to low magnification. But this is where you want to start and why they included that size. The lower the eye piece number, the higher the magnification. 8mm is about as low as you will want to go. 3 eyepieces is about all you need. The 25mm, 8mm and maybe split the middle and go with a 16 or 17mm. When you zoom in too much the image is not sharp and its hard to find what you want. Just use the 25mm for a while and get used to how to use the telescope.

The only other thing you need is a moon filter. The moon is very bright in a telescope and a filter helps. Its not necessary but it is nice to have.

The telescope is simple but both the main 6" mirror at the bottom and small 45 degree mirror at the top have adjustments. They will provide instructions but all you need to do is get them aligned. If the image is bad the first thing to check is the mirror alignment.

Right now Jupiter is out all night. Check it out. You will see 4 moons (unless 1 is directly in front of or behind the planet). Check out Andromeda galaxy. The moon. And just look around. When Saturn is out that is also very impressive to see live with your own telescope.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back