Clutch slave cylinder question

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does the slave cylinder have to be replaced when you replace the clutch? My stock clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced, I want to get all the parts together before starting on this. If it has to be replaced, anyone know a good site online that has them? Best price I can find is about $130.

Thanks
Randy

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does the slave cylinder have to be replaced when you replace the clutch? My stock clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced, I want to get all the parts together before starting on this. If it has to be replaced, anyone know a good site online that has them? Best price I can find is about $130.

Thanks
Randy
Unless it is leaking, sticking or generally shows significant wear - no.

It's not a stupid thing to change though - pain in the ass to go after it if it breaks later...

If you are a member of various forums (modularfords) - then call
http://www.tousleyford.com/index.cfm?action=service

or PM "FordSVTParts" on that site and you will get a good price...

travelers

Reaction score
Its easier to change it now then to have to rip everything back apart and do it again.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea, those were kinda my thoughts. Much easier to do it all at once even though the factory unit only has 15K on it.

Randy

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
THis may be a dumb question.. but what exactly does a slave cylinder do?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
THis may be a dumb question.. but what exactly does a slave cylinder do?
The "master" cylinder is connected to your clutch pedal - when you press it - it moves the hydraulic fluid (brake fluid) in the master "cylinder" through the hose and into the "slave" cylinder.

By pressing fluid into the slave cylinder, it forces the slave to expand to accommodate this additional fluid. When it expands, it pushes the throwout bearing attached to it forward into the fingers of the clutch and frees the clutch plate to spin free of the flywheel and pressure plate.

So, the slave together with the master accomplish the same thing as a clutch cable does on an older model. The fluid and cylinders on either end of it (master and slave), act like a "cable". The benefit being automatic adjustment, better lubricated moving parts, and depending on the configuration higher mechanical advantage (less pedal pressure for the same or more throwout bearing pressure).

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The "master" cylinder is connected to your clutch pedal - when you press it - it moves the hydraulic fluid (brake fluid) in the master "cylinder" through the hose and into the "slave" cylinder.

By pressing fluid into the slave cylinder, it forces the slave to expand to accommodate this additional fluid. When it expands, it pushes the throwout bearing attached to it forward into the fingers of the clutch and frees the clutch plate to spin free of the flywheel and pressure plate.

So, the slave together with the master accomplish the same thing as a clutch cable does on an older model. The fluid and cylinders on either end of it (master and slave), act like a "cable". The benefit being automatic adjustment, better lubricated moving parts, and depending on the configuration higher mechanical advantage (less pedal pressure for the same or more throwout bearing pressure).

Great analogy..thanks :clap:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back