New Job in DC, Where to move?

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
I have a possible job oppurtunity in DC in the defense sector, therefore I want to move closer to DC. I live in NJ so the Northeast is not anything new to me but I am unsure where to move to, DE, MD, VA? I don't want to live in a city, I would prefer a nice area that I can raise some kids in. People have told me Fredrick, Leesburg, Alexandria but I would prefer some insight from some locals. Thanks for the help.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We live in New Windsor, which is about 20 mins east of Frederick. I love this area. I am NOT a city person as well, so this area is perfect. Rural and country-like. Everyone is nice.

If you are willing to commute, then I would maybe look in the Carroll county area in MD. I have about an hour and 15min. commute. I work in Silver Spring, MD.

What part of DC will you be working in?

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
We live in New Windsor, which is about 20 mins east of Frederick. I love this area. I am NOT a city person as well, so this area is perfect. Rural and country-like. Everyone is nice.

If you are willing to commute, then I would maybe look in the Carroll county area in MD. I have about an hour and 15min. commute. I work in Silver Spring, MD.

What part of DC will you be working in?

Pretty much downtown, near the Air and Space museum, I also have no problem commuting. I'd like to live in a semi-rural area, I like quiet.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I'd consider Northern VA. before I'd move to Maryland. Delaware is nice also(except for Wilmington) but you will most likely have a 3 hour commute one way due to traffic.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pretty much downtown, near the Air and Space museum, I also have no problem commuting. I'd like to live in a semi-rural area, I like quiet.

I'd consider Northern VA. before I'd move to Maryland. Delaware is nice also(except for Wilmington) but you will most likely have a 3 hour commute one way due to traffic.
Yep, VA would probably be your best bet. Maybe in the Manassas/Woodbridge area. Trafffic in and around the beltway is a bitch no matter what way you go.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Leesburg area, is best. fast trip into DC using the toll rd and I-66, or you can use the train, Stations are in Point of Rocks,MD and Brundswick, MD. I am in Lovettsville VA. Only 5 miles to the train station.

flyfaster1

Reaction score
Def agree with the Balt comment, unless you're living in a high rise downtown, which defeats the purpose of a more rural life... I just went therefor work as well, got finished and transferred back to Dallas. As a newbie I like why he said above, near Frederick, Springfield, maaaaybe manassas or centreville but again a commute, if you dont mind driving to a station and then riding you're good to go. If ya want less rural I lived in Arlington (~ 5-10 miles) from downtown DC (where I worked as well... It's decent.

For MD i liked mt rainier its growing up, Bethesda (if you wanna live in md), however I really liked Clarksville md a lot but it's far, however if you drive to a train stop down the road it's not a bad commute sitting on your ass, on your laptop and headphones. You can't rent/buy some really nice piles of bricks out this way. Good luck!

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
I have no problem driving a little ways to a train station, in fact I expect to.

I'm in Haymarket/Gainesville VA area. I worked for ~1 year in DC and rode the VRE. The station was about 15 minutes from my house, and it was a one hour ride on the train into L'Enfant Station in DC. Monthly ticket was $234 and my company reimbursed me $230 of that...

Have a co-worker who used to take the Loudon County commuter bus from Leesburg into DC and she didn't have any complaints. There are definitely options!

Best of luck with the move, and if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
I lived for the past 6 months in Clarendon, while working in downtown Arlington, so I got a good sense of NoVA. I would recommend the Alexandria suburbs or the Reston area.

I don't recommend living on the Maryland side. I am a Maryland resident, and there are some nice areas of Maryland but the area around DC isn't great, besides Bethesda which is extremely expensive to live in and locked in with some horrendous traffic.

Last edited:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Fairafax area as others have mentioned is nice. My brother lives in Reston and I really like that area. I'm in between dc and b more but would much rather be in va than fuckland.

bullitt0175

bullitthead
Reaction score
If you live in Woodbridge or even Dumfries Va you can take the HOV into springfield and catch my metro into dc. My dad has done this for close to 30 years. The most rural you are going to get for a decent home and still in proximity to dc. I suggest the Lake Ridge community in Woodbridge. Just stay far as possible from rt. 1.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back