Oil Leak

rsb5772

Reaction score
I just notice oil on the floor of my garage, so I put my car on a lift and found it coming from the vents on the bottom of the bell housing and the "dust cover" on the front of the housing. The oil coming out of the vents is black, while the oil from the cover is clean. Anyone else had any issues with the trans or rear main seal leaking? I wouldn't think that my headers or aftermarket driveshaft should cause warranty issues.

techcargt

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't seen this happen on the new 5.0 engines . I have seen it happen on the 4.6 , and then it stop leaking on it own somehow. The car had low miles on it at the time.
My friend took it in to Ford to have them look at it and they would not warranty it, and even worse , put the car in their database to lock him out of ALL warranties from any dealer. Their reason to do this was because they saw that he had a line lock on the car and aftermarket exhaust ,no headers,just axle backs.
How many miles are on your car ?

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I haven't seen this happen on the new 5.0 engines . I have seen it happen on the 4.6 , and then it stop leaking on it own somehow. The car had low miles on it at the time.
My friend took it in to Ford to have them look at it and they would not warranty it, and even worse , put the car in their database to lock him out of ALL warranties from any dealer. Their reason to do this was because they saw that he had a line lock on the car and aftermarket exhaust ,no headers,just axle backs.

I find that hard to believe given the warranty act. Unless he admitted to racing the car, then he's a dumbass.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

For axle-back exhaust? I find that hard to believe.

I just took my car to the dealer last week, and I have cat-back exhaust. The only comment I got from the service department is that it sounded "nice and throaty."

techcargt

forum member
Reaction score
For axle-back exhaust? I find that hard to believe.

I just took my car to the dealer last week, and I have cat-back exhaust. The only comment I got from the service department is that it sounded "nice and throaty."

If you will look close at what I wrote, you will see that more than just "axle-backs" were on the car . Makes no difference if someones finds it hard to believe or not,that's what happened,they showed him this from Ford....

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor
Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than
a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed
for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part
to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized
tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting
systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or
software and performance ‘‘chips’’

I just hate to see someone lose their warranty because of something that has been done to the car and they could undo it before taking it in,that's all .

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
If you will look close at what I wrote, you will see that more than just "axle-backs" were on the car . Makes no difference if someones finds it hard to believe or not,that's what happened,they showed him this from Ford....

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor
Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than
a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed
for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part
to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized
tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting
systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or
software and performance ‘‘chips’’

I just hate to see someone lose their warranty because of something that has been done to the car and they could undo it before taking it in,that's all .

Plain and simple, your friend chose poorly.

He picked the wrong dealer.

A "roll-control" is a "hill holder" (as long as there isn't rubber in the wheel-wells).

This is also the first time I have heard of having a warranty for an oil leak denied for axle-backs.

A drag racer must have fucked the Service Manager's daughter...

rsb5772

Reaction score
I'll be taking it in tomorrow afternoon, and will update the thread with what happens. I'm expecting to go back and forth with them about it. I'm glad i found it before i put a s/c on it. I'm ordering it tomorrow!!!

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a leaky main seal. One side is black as it is picking up clutch dust on the way out.

yellowrubiu

Reaction score
Well, my car is at the dealer right now with what appears to be the same exact problem. The last update I got was that there was oil leaking between the engine and transmission and they had to drop the transmission to see what is going on. I will find out more tomorrow.

Last weekend I noticed oil on my garage floor and put down a couple of paper towels under the car when I parked it back in there. By Thursday there were a couple of fresh drops of oil on the paper towels. Here is a link to my post on another forum - click here.

As a side note my car has 4K miles, I have not done my first oil change yet but I've had to put 2 quarts of oil in it since I got it.

yellowrubiu

Reaction score
My car is finally home after 4 days at the dealer. The rear main seal was replaced and all the work was covered under warranty.

The notes for the work done to resolve this state:

"...verified concern with vehicle installed dye into engine to locate leak removed transmission out replaced rear main seal and cover as per hotline..."

They also did my first oil change which was covered under warranty as a result of the work above.

I jacked up the car and crawled under there when I got home after putting a few miles on it and everything is squeaky clean. So time will tell if this is resolved for good.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back