what clutch and flywheel?

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
So my plans have changed a bit, was going to go for a 4r70w, but decided to have a manual swapped instead.

Anyway, the flywheel and clutch are still in question. With the auto and 4.10's my car put down 445hp and 405tq to the wheels, so the combo will have to hold that much power (whatever that translates to flywheel power). I'll probably have the input shaft changed to a 26 spline.

The main issue is, I'm not very good with a clutch. It's been over 5 years since I've driven a manual, and even then I never had time to learn the clutch good at all. I'm looking for a combo that will be easy to drive, and still hold the power that my motor makes.

Any suggestions for a flywheel & clutch combo that will be easy to drive, and hold my power? I've got a few weeks to decide before I need to purchase anything, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
Oh sorry, forgot to mention that!

No, this car will NOT see a drag strip, and will not see drag radials or slicks. It's a weekend cruiser that will mostly see the mountains.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Spec 2+ should be more than enough IMO. I'm getting a 3+ installed over the next few days. from the reading and advice I got (cudos to Ron 94tbird for most of it) the 3+ was the way to go for me as I intend to track the car

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Spec 2+ should be more than enough IMO. I'm getting a 3+ installed over the next few days. from the reading and advice I got (cudos to Ron 94tbird for most of it) the 3+ was the way to go for me as I intend to track the car

I got the 2+ and I track the car. No issues. The pedal feel is more than stock.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got the 2+ and I track the car. No issues. The pedal feel is more than stock.

And very well from your time slip....

when I spoke to spec they suggested the 3+ due to the weight of the car 4000 lbs in street trim and about 3960 in race trim.

how would this be for someone who isn't good or very familiar with a manual transmission?

What about a flywheel as well? does it make much difference in terms of driveability?

idk about he familiarity issue....I'd think u'd get used to it quick...

on the flywheel issue.... I'd suggest keep the stocker or a new steel FW. easier to get the car moving from a stop.... a little slower to rev but easier for the street from my research.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks, I'll go for a steel flywheel then :)

Go with the Spec 2+ and the Spec steel flywheel. It is a little harder than the stock clutch but not much. My wife has no problems with it in my car. For a daily driver the steel is much easier in my opinion. The Spec 2+ will handle the power you have without any problems.

HEAVYGT

forum member
Reaction score
I went with the SPEC Stage 2+ and SPEC Steel flywheel after burning out the stocker on christmas day!

DSC01844.jpg

Here's why...

DSC01864.jpg

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
If you are swapping to a 26 spline, why not use the GT500 twin disc clutch? Stock feel, lighter than the stock GT clutch and holds massive torque. You need a throw out bearing spacer and a 26 spline input shaft.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So my plans have changed a bit, was going to go for a 4r70w, but decided to have a manual swapped instead.

Anyway, the flywheel and clutch are still in question. With the auto and 4.10's my car put down 445hp and 405tq to the wheels, so the combo will have to hold that much power (whatever that translates to flywheel power). I'll probably have the input shaft changed to a 26 spline.

The main issue is, I'm not very good with a clutch. It's been over 5 years since I've driven a manual, and even then I never had time to learn the clutch good at all. I'm looking for a combo that will be easy to drive, and still hold the power that my motor makes.

Any suggestions for a flywheel & clutch combo that will be easy to drive, and hold my power? I've got a few weeks to decide before I need to purchase anything, so I'm looking for suggestions.

If you are selling your converter let me know.
By the way,
I have a spec 3+ for sale and aluminum flywheel. Also a 3650 with a broken input shaft. We can make a deal if you want.

s1roush

forum member
Reaction score
How come nobody suggests an aluminum flywheel? Why is the steel one better?

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
If you are selling your converter let me know.
By the way,
I have a spec 3+ for sale and aluminum flywheel. Also a 3650 with a broken input shaft. We can make a deal if you want.

The spec 3+ is probably going to be to much clutch for me, sorry. Thanks for the offer though!

My converter has been spoke for already, if he changes his mind and doesn't need it once it's out of my car, you'll be first on the list. It's got very few miles on it (5000 maybe? I can find out for sure if you want), no drag races or launches with sticky tires. It has however... seen El Mirage once :clap:

How come nobody suggests an aluminum flywheel? Why is the steel one better?
I've been looking and asking around, thinking that aluminum would be better. Apparently, the aluminum flywheel doesn't take as much power/resistance to change it rotational speed, which makes starting off from a stop at normal speeds a little more tricky because when you start to apply the clutch the motor will start to bog easier. That's what I've been told anyway, and why I'm going for a steel wheel.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been looking and asking around, thinking that aluminum would be better. Apparently, the aluminum flywheel doesn't take as much power/resistance to change it rotational speed, which makes starting off from a stop at normal speeds a little more tricky because when you start to apply the clutch the motor will start to bog easier. That's what I've been told anyway, and why I'm going for a steel wheel.

The steel is not better than alum.... as Error stated... its has different characteristics. Alum revs freer and the steel has more inertia. So steel a bit more street friendly and alum a bit more rev friendly. its a matter of personal preference and how ur going to drive.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back