New Heads and Cams Are In

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I'll tell you what guys, when you have 150 - 200 hours of labor and $50k invested in buying and modding your Mustang, you can bang it around all you want.
Haha, I have somewhere between $65 and $70k in my car since July 05 with all the transmission combos and mods I have done then changed over the year. We got my new motor running then that afternoon put it on the dyno for break in. Made 316/353 then we through the F1 on it and started making pulls with it. Motor makes 20+psi of vacuum at idle and 20+psi at WOT and has taken everything that has been thrown at it.

Motors aren't like the old days of flat tappet cams where they needed to be broken in. If your engine parts are "wearing in" then there is a clearance or lubrication problem.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great to hear Marc... it just that period of time, when you do your own work, that you go slow and just feel, listen... the joy of getting it back on the road, and not looking forward to seeing car back on jack stands!
Because, it isnt if... but when. So, after a few days on jacks, Ill take it easy just to enjoy the car for a while before I get to the track and beat it to pieces!

And, as far as the $, it is expensive to make horsepower + making it hook, + fixing what breaks! The final setup, after all the R&D isnt alot... its the cost of clutches, transmissions, rearends, etc. along the way!!

These cars are still 'new', what was radical a year ego is commonplace and mild at best.

I am looking very forward to how your car acts on the everyday road and at the track. If it all acts good...

Someone will be getting a deal on my entire engine, b/c it will be bigbore, na, stage III heads/cams time for me too:beerdrink:

btw, did you need bap or pump upgrade?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Haha, I have somewhere between $65 and $70k in my car since July 05 with all the transmission combos and mods I have done then changed over the year. We got my new motor running then that afternoon put it on the dyno for break in. Made 316/353 then we through the F1 on it and started making pulls with it. Motor makes 20+psi of vacuum at idle and 20+psi at WOT and has taken everything that has been thrown at it.

Motors aren't like the old days of flat tappet cams where they needed to be broken in. If your engine parts are "wearing in" then there is a clearance or lubrication problem.

I hear what you are saying... but dude, no such thing as 20+ psi of vacuum. Vacuum is measured in inches of mercury (inHg) and if it is more than -4/-5 at an idle, something is seriously wrong with your car.

sixties kid

Reaction score
I'll tell you what guys, when you have 150 - 200 hours of labor and $50k invested in buying and modding your Mustang, you can bang it around all you want.

Me personally, I need my car to last a min of 100,000 miles for the next 5 years with a variety of uses from commuting to work, to date night with the wife, to a low 12 sec pass at the track (coming soon :thumb: ). So, I don't mind waiting 4 days to put some miles on it before I dyno the car. Seems reasonable to me.

Marc,
Nicely said! Working toward the same end myself with a little more bias toward streetable handling. Clear vision of where we want to end up will
keep expensive diversions to a minimum. I remember another contributor's response (Don W I think) to a similar discussion being "I want a fast street car, not a slow race car". As this part of your project settles out, please share your impressions of real streetability. Thanks for sharing.
dj

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Awesome Marc!!! Congrats on the new HP. I am anxious to see what times you can get out of her now.

and maybe i'll see you at Cecil. no promises though.

MARKCORE

Banned
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing/hearing a video of your setup!!

I think a set of heads will be my next mod. What about just porting the stockers?

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying... but dude, no such thing as 20+ psi of vacuum. Vacuum is measured in inches of mercury (inHg) and if it is more than -4/-5 at an idle, something is seriously wrong with your car.
Sorry you are right in/hg. My autometer shows 20 inches at idle. Why would you consider making good vacuum at idle bad since that is close to what the stock motor showed (17 or so).

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Sorry you are right in/hg. My autometer shows 20 inches at idle. Why would you consider making good vacuum at idle bad since that is close to what the stock motor showed (17 or so).

Wow, stock it was 17? and now at 20? That is good vacuum, but man that seems like a lot.

I haven't put a vac gauge on this car yet, but IIRC, other cars I have owned, including a few NA and turbo sport cars, I don't remember ever seeing more than -10 inHg. My Jeep was at -5, my Jetta was -4, and my HD is -4. I guess this car just sucks... LOL... Okay, bad joke. I had to try.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
A bit, but not as much as the stage 2.

Are you serious dude??? that makes no sense at all, the stage 3 comps sound way more radical than a stage 2 comp spr.........

The Comp Cams 127600 Stage 3 SPR perform way more radical, but my Comp Cam Stage 2 NSR 127200 sound like a more aggressive lobe and shook the car a lot more.

Like I said, I will try to record it today. I will post both the old video and the new one. You can compare the 2 cam setups on the same car yourself.

Maybe I don't really notice since I am building for speed, not sound.

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Wow, stock it was 17? and now at 20? That is good vacuum, but man that seems like a lot.

I haven't put a vac gauge on this car yet, but IIRC, other cars I have owned, including a few NA and turbo sport cars, I don't remember ever seeing more than -10 inHg. My Jeep was at -5, my Jetta was -4, and my HD is -4. I guess this car just sucks... LOL... Okay, bad joke. I had to try.

I think 20 is probably right because I see that on my boost vac gage too. It show less and less vac as I give it more and more throttle.

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
The Comp Cams 127600 Stage 3 SPR perform way more radical, but my Comp Cam Stage 2 NSR 127300 sound like a more aggressive lobe and shook the car a lot more.

Like I said, I will try to record it today. I will post both the old video and the new one. You can compare the 2 cam setups on the same car yourself.

Dude are you sure you got SPR stage 3s and someone didn't rip you off?? They freakin' barely want to idle!!! Your NSR cams loped harder?!? they almost sound like a stock camshaft. Have you ever heard forensicsteves turbo car with the stage 3 comps??? I'm not doubting you one bit, but I just find this mind boggling for some reason. I mean its kind of a stupid thing to even worry about, but does anyone else get what i'm saying here??

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Dude are you sure you got SPR stage 3s and someone didn't rip you off?? They freakin' barely want to idle!!! Your NSR cams loped harder?!? they almost sound like a stock camshaft. Have you ever heard forensicsteves turbo car with the stage 3 comps??? I'm not doubting you one bit, but I just find this mind boggling for some reason. I mean its kind of a stupid thing to even worry about, but does anyone else get what i'm saying here??

I am 100% sure that both the 127200's and the 127600's are the right cams. Both sets were shipped directly to me from Comp. Since I did the install I saw the HUGE diff in lobe size too.

I don't think I have heard Steve's car, but I have seen plenty of YouTube videos of the stage 3 SPR's and my car doesn't sound like the videos I have seen.

Maybe the sound has something to do with my MagnaFlow exhaust. They are more quiet than stock. But that does not account for the fact the the car does not shake as much as it did with the stage 2 cams.

I bumped my idle to 1050. Maybe that smooth it out a little too. I don't know what to say. :headscratch:

It does sound good though. That I will say for sure...

Last edited:

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
Oh well with your idle THAT high it will sound alot smoother. I can't wait to see a video of this thing (that means HURRY UP LOL).......The only reason I am asking is because i'm about to go with the same camshafts. I'm going to shoot a PM your way with a few questions. thanks

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Comp Cams 127600 Stage 3 SPR perform way more radical, but my Comp Cam Stage 2 NSR 127300 sound like a more aggressive lobe and shook the car a lot more.

Thats odd.. my 127300's are unnoticeable... and 127300's arent nsr, they are vsr :)

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Here is the first video.

A little background. My wife (Lindsay) and son (Nick, 10 yrs old) are in the car with me and we are following my father in-law in his Challenger SRT8. I told Lindsay I wanted to get some audio from in the car, so she did not pay to much attention to what she was taping. NBD. You will also here my son yell at me for speeding... LOL

Toward the end, we take a right and my father in-law trys to walk on me, but that did not happen... :evillaugh:

I have another video from outside the car that I will post later.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back