Phaser "banging" after a run, limiters help?

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Every now and then after a hard drive my cam phaser makes a "banging" for a minuit getting the cam/cams back into their advanced position. I have read in the product description for comp and livernois phaser limiters that they eliminate phaser noise and make it easier for them to do their job by taking up excess volume in the oil passages. Also it may be that they don't go so far toward retard as they only allow for 20* movement. Does anyone running limiters have noise issues or any issues for that matter with their VCT after the install?

07 procharger

Addicted to modding
Reaction score
I have ythe limiters...but our valvetrains are still very noisy. I didint notice difference after installing mine, that said they dont "bang" rattle is a better sound for my set up.

GI Joe

Reaction score
Every now and then after a hard drive my cam phaser makes a "banging" for a minuit getting the cam/cams back into their advanced position. I have read in the product description for comp and livernois phaser limiters that they eliminate phaser noise and make it easier for them to do their job by taking up excess volume in the oil passages. Also it may be that they don't go so far toward retard as they only allow for 20* movement. Does anyone running limiters have noise issues or any issues for that matter with their VCT after the install?

cam phasers! What are cam phaser? :naughty1:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
What kind of oil pump (gear) and oil pressure do you have? Sure you're not having an oil pump failure?

Last edited:
Reaction score
What v spings do you have? Too much spring pressure will cuase phaser noise.

3 things cause this noise, low oil pressure, too much v spring pressure, aggresive cams with fast ramp rates.

Limiters will not stop phaser function there fore will not eliminate the noise.

Eliminate the phaser, Eliminate the noise.

spyder7724

Reaction score

3 things cause this noise, low oil pressure, too much v spring pressure, aggresive cams with fast ramp rates.

+1on that
no phasers here and no noise even with solid roller cams :)
use lockouts or V10 3V cam gears (they don't have VCT)

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score

Hey thanks! I have Manley Nextek springs. Are those too stiff? Oil pressure is great. I will be putting in comp 127300 cams again soon.

I had these phasers (which were new around 2500miles ago)with the 127300's in the past and this was an intermittant issue. It happened to me the other day with stock cams in it but not quite as pronounced as it was with the other cams.

I remember Adam doing something in the tune that gave the phasers max oil pressure at idle that fixed it but that tune is gone.

So, is there a tune parameter that helps or am I delusional?

Would a heavier weight oil help?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1on that
no phasers here and no noise even with solid roller cams :)
use lockouts or V10 3V cam gears (they don't have VCT)

Thanks for sharing that info. I would rather go that way than to use the lockouts.

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
I have 127300 cams and Livernis limiters running about 20psi with my Vortech.

No phaser problems or noises. I put the current phaser revisions in my car when we removed the lockouts and put the limiters in as well.

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that info. I would rather go that way than to use the lockouts.
I would lock the vct, HOWEVER, When we dyno tuned it NA at 366 rwhp 370 rwtq we did some testing and locked the cams in the tune. The result was a loss of 30 rwhp. Not good for me.

I have 127300 cams and Livernis limiters running about 20psi with my Vortech.

No phaser problems or noises. I put the current phaser revisions in my car when we removed the lockouts and put the limiters in as well.
What springs are you using?

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
V-10 does not use VCT that is correct, but the cam gears are different, and NOT cross compatible with the V-8 engines.

Lockouts or an aftermarket cam gear are the best options.

I know Adam, for whatever reason, is not a fan of lockouts, and talks his customers away from that, but when I flew Eric up here last year he re-tuned a car done by Adam with limiters, to full lockouts and actually picked up power.

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
I would lock the vct, HOWEVER, When we dyno tuned it NA at 366 rwhp 370 rwtq we did some testing and locked the cams in the tune. The result was a loss of 30 rwhp. Not good for me.

What springs are you using?

The Comp HD springs.

hellion

Banned
Reaction score
could u run full lockouts with the stock camshaft and spring?or do u need to change the springs also?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back