Ran over a spike, can it be fixed?

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Found my tire flat when I got out of work today. Looks like I ran over a damn spike on the way in today:

DSC_0958.JPG

DSC_0972.JPG

DSC_0976.JPG

So the question is, can it be patched? What makes me worried is that this screw is 1/4" in diameter (threads) and the shaft w/o threads is 3/16". the angle it when it at bothers me a little too

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I would have no problem plugging it, but then I've been plugging holes in my tires for over 30 years and haven't had a plug fail yet. Some of the experts will tell you how it's somehow 'unsafe' to plug tires but that hasn't been my experience. The worst that can happen is that your tire ends up flat again.

And as far as belt separation, you will feel that long before it becomes dangerous. If you plug it and the tire becomes unbalanced or out of round, then go ahead and replace it.

And don't use cheap plugs or pluggers. I've carried one of these kits for decades and it has paid for itself dozens of times over. http://safetyseal.com/catalog/index...s_id=2&zenid=cb2cd8482dfc3abd67d2e5b9f064a5de

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I fix that shit all the time at work. As long as the tire wasn't driven on while flat, you're fine.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Cool, the shop I've gone to before does a plug and a vulcanized patch, but I wasn't sure what it would have done to the belts.

downtime!

IAMKONABLUE
Reaction score
Yep, I'd be ordering a new tire if it was me. But I tend to drive a little "spirited" on the weekends, and the last thing I want on my car at speed is a plugged or patched tire. Normal driving, I'm sure you'll be fine though.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, I'd be ordering a new tire if it was me. But I tend to drive a little "spirited" on the weekends, and the last thing I want on my car at speed is a plugged or patched tire. Normal driving, I'm sure you'll be fine though.

One of the rear tires on my all-seasons has been patched/plugged for 2 years and I've driven pretty aggressively on it. Granted, I don't to any burnouts

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
My family owned a tire shop for 30 years. We plugged more then we patched and Ive never seen a plug fail. The guy that sold the brad we carried would actually demonstrate his by poling a hole in the sidewall of his tire on the vehicle and plug it. Each tire had several plugs in the sidewall. He was crazy

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Fix it and forget about it. Unless you're running something like the Texas Mile, then you have nothing to worry about.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Plug it. I pulled a .25" x .5" x 6" piece of steel out of tire before and plugged it with 2 plugs. It held up for about 2 weeks when it went flat. I pulled those out, cleaned it out really good with the debur tool and then inflated it again, plugged it again and it held for 2 months till I got new tires.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Bringin' the tire to the shop on Saturday. In the mean time, I'm back on my all-seasons

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Because of the location of the hole, you should be fine with a patch or plug. With the plug, belt separation may occur over time, but it will be very noticeable, especially if the tire is in the front, as you will feel it in the steering wheel.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back