Shifting in a burnout (manual 5 speed)

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the thermal barrier. If your hot tire creeps forward to cooler pavement there is less friction and you begin cooling the tire.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
The OP still hasn't come back to clarify if he was talking about the 1/4 strip or trying to do a long burnout for distance of black marks type thing or tire burnout competitions.

If doing one for the strip, then just like mentioned multiple times, Roll out of the waterbox, start your burn in 2nd and push the speedo to 55mph for about 5 seconds. Get good, equal smoke then roll out to the tree.

If you have street tires, avoid the waterbox if you can, do a quick 4-5 second burnout in 1st to sling out any water or gravel and then do your run. This can be tire dependent though. My BFG KDW2's love heat for more initial grip. I do a 1st burnout for 7-8 seconds to get good smoke roiling out and then move forward and launch. Haven't been to the strip yet though. This is only practicing on closed military range roads. Also, the stock Pirelli's my car came with loved to be heated up for a launch.

But I still think the OP is just wanting to do a long ass, smoky as hell burnout in a parking lot or on the street. If not, then his thread title and questions are too ambiguous to properly answer.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I get the tires spinning in first gear by revving and dumping the clutch, then floor it to 6k rpm let off the gas speed shift second and get back on the gas pull the car up to about 60mph in 2nd gear and hold the burnout till i see both tires smoking equally on both sides then roll out.

Ive tried starting in second and on a well prepped track its hard not to stall so i always start in first then shift second works great for me.

Jeremy - IMO you're not getting enough water on the tires to start the burnout if you're having a stall issue. Rev to 3k-4K and drop the hammer in 2nd with a wet tire and let it burn!

ive never done a second gear burnout.. nor have I honestly ever done a first to second gear shift trying to do a burnout.

I dont visit the track enough to try it tho.. Plus I only run NT555`s and their not exactly a drag radial..

well with a 555 you don't want a big burnout anyway, it's not designed for that, it's a street tire. A 555r is a different story

Found some good reading

http://www.dragtimenews.com/burnouts101.htm

Last edited:

Jay Dee

Reaction score
Hey guys. I wasn't talking about the dragstrip, I was talking about leaving a nice long patch on the road out of the city away from the fuzz. I've seen some great replies. I might try the second gear burnout (I've got 4.10's/tune/CAI/muffler -basic bolt ons etc...) Might also try quickly shifting into second as well. I guess it's trial and error. I can always resort to the first gear burnout with the feathering of the gas and brake. :beerdrink:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jeremy - IMO you're not getting enough water on the tires to start the burnout if you're having a stall issue. Rev to 3k-4K and drop the hammer in 2nd with a wet tire and let it burn!

well with a 555 you don't want a big burnout anyway, it's not designed for that, it's a street tire. A 555r is a different story

Found some good reading

http://www.dragtimenews.com/burnouts101.htm

Yeah i just find it easier to start in first and shift to second, shit with the 6060 and 3.55s now i can do 60mph in 1st gear so i may go back to 1st only anyway lol

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yeah i just find it easier to start in first and shift to second, shit with the 6060 and 3.55s now i can do 60mph in 1st gear so i may go back to 1st only anyway lol

Yea the 6060 you can probably get away with first, but the 3650 only gets up to 40mph in 1st.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back