UCA Bushing change?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I bought a full UMI rear suspension recently and I am getting ready for the install. One of the pieces is the on car adjustable upper control arm. This arm came with a new poly bushing on one end.

Should I order a replacement poly differential bushing and change it too?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Hard to give a good review because I had mine changed since the stock rubber one was blown out. One thing I'll say is that my guy who did the work had to order a new stock one for the clam-shell case. The existing one can easily get damaged when taking it out.

Won't hurt to change it and it will help with the deflection & keeping the pinion angle more precise.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Won't hurt to change it and it will help with the deflection & keeping the pinion angle more precise.

That's pretty much my way of looking at it. They bushing is only $23 bucks from Maximum Motorsports.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Have you guys done the job on jackstands? I've read this one is somewhat of a bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you don't completely remove the rear replacing the bushing is a real pain. Getting the old one out is bad enough but pressing in the new one with the rear in the car is a pos. Unless you are having trouble with the stock one or are going to be running very high HP I would just leave the stock one in and install the new arm.

Earl

stanglifemike

aka boostedbanana
Reaction score
I have also read that removing the old one is really hard with the rearend in the car. I bought the BMR bushing along with the rest of the BMR suspension components I installed. I have yet to install the bushing but plan to drop the entire rearend when I do it. I am a tech and do all my own work and this us three only install that I'm not looking forward to. From what I've read, burning the old one out is about the best way to remove it if its in the car....

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
It is NOT a hard job, just rent the proper tools. My Ford dealer let me use theirs. You need to reuse the steal sleeve, so you need a propane torch to heat it with and the rubber center will fall right out.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just a heads up, one of the quickest ways to remove the center section of the stock diff bushing is with a proper sized hole saw bit.

hole_saw_bit_m.jpg

BE SURE TO RETAIN THE FACTORY SLEEVE!

If you have any questions, let me know.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Just a heads up, one of the quickest ways to remove the center section of the stock diff bushing is with a proper sized hole saw bit.

hole_saw_bit_m.jpg

Good idea, do you happen to know the size needed?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score

hole_saw_bit_m.jpg

Good idea, do you happen to know the size needed?

Just saw the 1 3/4 on the pic, is that correct ?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score

Just saw the 1 3/4 on the pic, is that correct ?

Late last year when I upgraded my 8.8" axle I installed BMR's EN001 UCA axle housing bushing. I used 1 3/8" hole saw when I did mine. I could have used larger hole saw, but I wanted to leave some of the rubber from the OEM bushing in the shell so I didn't damage the shell during the removal process. Then used a pencil grinder with a wire cup wheel to remove the remaining rubber from the shell. Be prepared for the hole saw to get very hot and make one hell of a stinky mess while the bushing is being cut.

End result:
100_1290.jpg

100_1291.jpg

I then used a C-Clamp to press the bushing into the shell and greased it with BMR's gorilla snot
100_1405.jpg

100_1406.jpg

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Once again, great detail tmcolegr.

It is not too difficult, just a pain in the rear....when you leave the axle housing in the car. Especially a pain if you do it on the ground (jackstands)

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
So if your stock bushings are shot will it make a clunking noise in the rear? My car started making a clunking noise like a year ago but it hasn't really affected anything other than making the drivetrain feel even more sloppy. Really feel like I'm driving a piece of shit now lol. Anyways I was thinking it was the UCA bushings that were blown out. I haven't had the time nor money to check to see if they were blown out, or to buy them if they are

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Late last year when I upgraded my 8.8" axle I installed BMR's EN001 UCA axle housing bushing. I used 1 3/8" hole saw when I did mine. I could have used larger hole saw, but I wanted to leave some of the rubber from the OEM bushing in the shell so I didn't damage the shell during the removal process. Then used a pencil grinder with a wire cup wheel to remove the remaining rubber from the shell. Be prepared for the hole saw to get very hot and make one hell of a stinky mess while the bushing is being cut.

End result:
100_1290.jpg

100_1291.jpg

I then used a C-Clamp to press the bushing into the shell and greased it with BMR's gorilla snot
100_1405.jpg

100_1406.jpg

Thanks!

Once again, great detail tmcolegr.

It is not too difficult, just a pain in the rear....when you leave the axle housing in the car. Especially a pain if you do it on the ground (jackstands)

He does post nice pics ! And yes this will be a install on the ground on jack stands.

So if your stock bushings are shot will it make a clunking noise in the rear? My car started making a clunking noise like a year ago but it hasn't really affected anything other than making the drivetrain feel even more sloppy. Really feel like I'm driving a piece of shit now lol. Anyways I was thinking it was the UCA bushings that were blown out. I haven't had the time nor money to check to see if they were blown out, or to buy them if they are

Mine is blown out as well .

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back