AnotherS197GT's Coyote Swap: The Valve Dropper Special

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
My battery harness came in today and it's a gold mine of things for people doing S197 swaps, or even swaps in general. It comes with all the trans wiring for a manual (I think), along with front and rear O2 sensors, alternator, EPAS, power to the engine, and a PCM connector. The freaking connector for the big power wires on the engine alone was $50, so for $140, you get a TON for your money. I really wish I would have known what came on this harness months ago. MANUEL

I'm super excited about this swap, but I might be more excited about the battery harness and ditching some of the wiring I have.

But all the parts are here to start the EPAS swap now. It can begin as soon as I have time.

Part number for the harness is CR3Z14300EA

Last edited:

Nutter281

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome find Dylan! Everyone should make a mental sticky of that part number for coyote + EPAS swaps! I spent days with Ford trying to track down the EPAS connectors and I wound up grabbing an F150 harness that had the same EPAS power/CAN connectors but is missing some of the nice to haves that came in the harness Dylan just mentioned.

I am 99% convinced that anyone doing this going forward should skip the control pack - what a PoS and ridiculously expensive compared to just ad hoc assembling a stock PCM with harnesses from Ford.

If I could go back in time....

:)

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
yeah, building your own control pack on an S197 is where it's at. Control pack would be nice for older cars like Fox bodies or SN-95 that don't have all the S197 stuff in them though.

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
Ok, so found out that the harness I bought is for a manual car. This would be great for people doing MT-82 swaps.

BMR Tech 2

Reaction score
I have a 3650, I don't need anything on this harness past the front O2 sensors. I will just have to pin my VSS into this harness now instead of the trans harness we made, I'll be able to rip a ton of my wiring out and replace it with clean OEM stuff. I may also add rear O2 sensors since they are supposed to help calibrate the front O2s.

I want to 6 speed swap the car, but it will probably be TR-6060 and not an MT-82. I know some people have good luck with them, but I don't think I want to take that chance.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I started and finished the EPAS swap yesterday, and man is it nice having a car with an electric rack. Everything seems to work just as it should, I just don't get selectable steering. (yet...). It pretty much went off without a hitch except for all the PS fluid on my floor. Since I swapped K-members to an 11+ plus K-member, I also took the time to install the Mustang oil pan gasket with integrated windage tray. I haven't gotten to drive it more than around the neighborhood since I bungled the alternator wiring somewhere and I need to track that down.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Got the alternator stuff sorted out. There are two wires on the connector that feeds to the PCM and they're both the same color. Of course I picked the wrong one lol.

22760482448_fcb13196bd_b.jpg
25303342629_a623119c2f_b.jpg

The engine bay is a little dirty and needs some TLC, but I'll worry about that later.

braupe

Resident Diabetic...
Reaction score
Man I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to see a sticky summarizing what is needed to do a coyote swap on the 05-09 cars, without using the control pack. I want EPAS and the alternator in the correct location. That and an MT-82.

Also, I am loving your progress. It is a genuine inspiration. Congrats!

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Man I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to see a sticky summarizing what is needed to do a coyote swap on the 05-09 cars, without using the control pack. I want EPAS and the alternator in the correct location. That and an MT-82.

Also, I am loving your progress. It is a genuine inspiration. Congrats!

I used:

A stock Mustang PCM (bought from a junkyard for $250, I think)
2 Bosch O2 sensors (Amazon, $50 ea)
11+ MAF sensor (eBay, $50 new)
Stock intake, but you could use a CAI. I got this in a trade.
Junkard 11+ throttle pedal ($50?)

I bought O2 sensor pigtails, but I would STRONGLY suggest ordering CR3Z-14300-EA harness. It is the battery/manual trans harness and comes with

Front and rear O2 connectors
Trans wiring
Starter wiring
EPAS wiring/pigtails
Alternator pigtails
PCM connector to make it a direct plug and play

If you use that harness, you will need to buy 7U2Z-14S411-KA pigtail, then solder your CAN BUS, alternator comm wires, starter, and EPAS switched power into this. You could just de-pin from the plug that comes on the CR3Z harness, but I opted for a cleaner installation.

If you purchase the CR3Z wiring harness and use a TR3650 until you can afford an MT82, then you will have to pin in the speed sensor to pin 14 IIRC. I also pinned the clutch switch into pin 19, which I believe you will have to do regardless of transmission used.

The throttle pedal will have to be de-pinned from the 3V pedal (uses 6 wires) and re-pinned to the Coyote (uses 4 wires), but you can use whatever color wires you want from the 3V pedal, just make sure they match at the PCM. This stuff runs through the body harness. CAN BUS will also run into the body harness, but you will have to T off from the CAN BUS to feed into EPAS and into the PCM.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask! I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, but it's really fairly simple, just time consuming. The harness I'm telling you to buy is a MASSIVE time saver, and a must if you're doing EPAS. If you want to do the alternator, buy the M-8600-M50BALT kit from Ford racing. It comes with an idler, tensioner, Boss 302 alternator, belt, and alternator. You can use the Power By the Hour AC bracket to use your 3V compressor. You would just have to order the stock 5.0 AC stretchy belt. I bought some downstream O2 sensors so that I could have FAOSC enabled in the future, which is supposed to keep the front O2s properly calibrated.

You can use 3V PCM connectors, but you will have to shave the PCM side plugs to make them fit, but a couple minutes with a razor and everything plugged right in! However, if you buy the harness, you will only need to do that with one connector. I also needed to buy 7U2Z-14S411-KB to supply VCT, injector, and coil power to the engine.

Last edited:

braupe

Resident Diabetic...
Reaction score
Perfect. Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much for the info. Once I get into this, you can expect some PM's.

Also, I assume its best to use my ac compressor, rather than swapping to a 2011 compressor?

BMR Tech 2

Reaction score
Perfect. Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much for the info. Once I get into this, you can expect some PM's.

Also, I assume its best to use my ac compressor, rather than swapping to a 2011 compressor?

Yeah, you would have to get custom lines made. The 05-10 AC system is a lot different than the 11-14 (both the lines and how it works). Lito can help you get the AC working, he was super helpful with mine. I'll try to post more info about the other things needed for the swap tonight.

Last edited:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Waaaahhhooooo!!!!

I have a Coyote H pipe (just the H) with adapters welded to it to bolt up to the 3V catback. You can have it for the cost of shipping.

What's next on your list of stuff to buy?

braupe

Resident Diabetic...
Reaction score
Waaaahhhooooo!!!!

I have a Coyote H pipe (just the H) with adapters welded to it to bolt up to the 3V catback. You can have it for the cost of shipping.

What's next on your list of stuff to buy?

Thats awesome. I am picking up some stock exhaust manifolds this weekend. I want to run an O/R X of some sort.

So I guess I need an ECU, throttle pedal, EPAS, K member, Truck engine, MT82........... Everything!

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Don't forget to buy this pigtail: 7U2Z-14S411-KB

I bought it just for the 3 wires that I needed from it lol. You might be able to find the appropriate pins, but it was easier for me to find the harness.

This one will be used to supply power to the VCT, injectors, and COPs.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I picked up all the parts for an MT82 swap this week. The trans was damaged by a local guy, Ford tore it down, denied warranty, and he went with a T-56. I was able to pick this stuff up for next to nothing. The MT82 will be rebuilt and upgraded before it goes in the car. I'll be running a stock shifter for a while before I can swing the coin for an MGW. Overall, I'm hoping to be into this swap for less than $1000-$1200, way cheaper than a TR6060. The Coyote wiring harness I have will also make this a plug and play affair. Doesn't get any easier than that!

32275724155_7d61ba51c9_b.jpg

BMR Tech 2

Reaction score
But, but, I thought the MT82s SUCKED! Lol!

I thought so too, but a couple big time trans rebuilders say they're pretty good with some upgrades. The way I see it, I can give it a shot, if it works, great! If not, I can probably sell it for about what I'm paying for everything and try again with a 6060. I'll be honest, I'm apprehensive about the MT82, but I figure I should just listen to the pros and give it a whirl!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back