How to seal up after removing PCV?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I finally went ahead and removed the PCV off from the driver side valve covers.

Now I was thinking of using gasket silicone to seal the cuts or JB weld.

Or even put a rubber with hose clamps?

I'm afraid if JB weld fails and destroys my cams and heads.
b4d6841ea38fb3f4c4b45a9f7c0e95ae.jpg

9087698480157b45fbf3a83dc74d684b.jpg

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How are you venting the valve cover?

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
I just cut the pieces out and put a plate over the top of it screwed in place sealed with rtv I think. I pull vacuum on that side via intake and modded a coyote catch can in the chain to pull fumes and any blow by. The other side I have normal breather filter.

IMG_2291.JPG

Crappy picture sorry. I was pulling vacuum on both sides so I have another line going there but i plugged it off and need to rework just been lazy.

I don't get any fumes or oil in the can and I have like $20 for it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
so 1 side is connected to intake and other is open via breather?

didnt we discuss you either open it completely and seal the intake, or keep it closed in

46addict

Reaction score
so 1 side is connected to intake and other is open via breather?

didnt we discuss you either open it completely and seal the intake, or keep it closed in

Ideally, yes. But Wraith's set up is still better than running a breather on each side with the PCV baffles in tact.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I ended JB welding it. Let it cure off the car for 48hrs made sure it was stuck on for good and put it back in the car.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I finally went ahead and removed the PCV off from the driver side valve covers.

Now I was thinking of using gasket silicone to seal the cuts or JB weld.

Or even put a rubber with hose clamps?

I'm afraid if JB weld fails and destroys my cams and heads.
b4d6841ea38fb3f4c4b45a9f7c0e95ae.jpg

9087698480157b45fbf3a83dc74d684b.jpg

I just folded it back up like in your pic and didn't worry about it. i don't think much oil actually gets splashed up and through the cut.

Breather tank
d9991c6a22a8aaa762020e81f141657a.jpg

Both sides going to the breather tank?

I just cut the pieces out and put a plate over the top of it screwed in place sealed with rtv I think. I pull vacuum on that side via intake and modded a coyote catch can in the chain to pull fumes and any blow by. The other side I have normal breather filter.

View attachment 58219

Crappy picture sorry. I was pulling vacuum on both sides so I have another line going there but i plugged it off and need to rework just been lazy.

I don't get any fumes or oil in the can and I have like $20 for it lol

You're not getting any oil in the can because you have it set up wrong.

Ideally, yes. But Wraith's set up is still better than running a breather on each side with the PCV baffles in tact.

How is it better? It's actually worse. When the manifold is under vacuum he is drawing unmetered air into his intake. And when his manifold is under pressure he is bleeding boost into his crankcase.

Why does everybody try and reinvent the wheel? This has been gone over and over and I don't understand how or why we are still confused over it.

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Yes both going into the tank. I don't think the passenger cam cover has a pcv built in like the driver side.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score

wouldnt that introduce an air-leak though and cause un-metered air into the engine, the whole thing this entire thread adviced against?

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
IMG_2288.JPG

One way check valve that doesn't leak boost through only draws vacuum to the can. I will keep mine this way do yours however you like. I wanted a cheap catch can and stock pcv valve leaks so this was my solution. Works fine for me.

Passengers side has no pcv you can just draw via breather

Last edited:

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with JB Weld at all. It has a very high PSI. Most other epoxies have less than 1/10 the compression strength of JB Weld.

07 Boss

Reaction score
View attachment 58222

One way check valve that doesn't leak boost through only draws vacuum to the can. I will keep mine this way do yours however you like. I wanted a cheap catch can and stock pcv valve leaks so this was my solution. Works fine for me.

Passengers side has no pcv you can just draw via breather

Didn't know you had another pcv in line so that takes care of being under boost. So under vacuum the intake draws air through the check valve. So where does that air come from? It enters through the breather on the passenger side, right? That air drawn through the crankcase and into your intake is unmetered. The engine computer doesn't know it's there because it's unmetered.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
The oem drew fresh from after the maf so your theory is correct. The amount must be minimal otherwise the afr would be wack. This was done a while back when I had what I believed to be a blow by issue(oil leak front cover and pan) so I could probably just go back to breather on drivers and cap the intake port and remove the can. Been boosting heavy for 5000 miles with no issues but probably worth plugging off and venting now to be safe

07 Boss

Reaction score
The oem drew fresh from after the maf so your theory is correct. The amount must be minimal otherwise the afr would be wack. This was done a while back when I had what I believed to be a blow by issue(oil leak front cover and pan) so I could probably just go back to breather on drivers and cap the intake port and remove the can. Been boosting heavy for 5000 miles with no issues but probably worth plugging off and venting now to be safe

Yeah, it was only probably drawing any air at low load and rpm so your motor is leaning out anyways. No harm no foul. Me, I would just ditch the can anyways. I don't get much if any drippage running 3 breathers. I do change them out every once in a while though. They will get gunked up from the inside over time.

46addict

Reaction score
^Are your PCV baffles removed? Wondering if this is a mandatory thing with breathers or if it's a precaution. I suppose the second best option to having an oil separator is to leave the stock setup alone and clean out the oil residue in the intake every now and then.

07 Boss

Reaction score
^Are your PCV baffles removed? Wondering if this is a mandatory thing with breathers or if it's a precaution. I suppose the second best option to having an oil separator is to leave the stock setup alone and clean out the oil residue in the intake every now and then.

Yep. And I run a 710 cap breather too. If you are going to run breathers you should remove the valve from the cam cover. If you don't, you only have the one outlet and it does get messy.

Running a stock system or a closed system with a catch can still will introduce unwanted stuff into your cylinders.

The only real downside to running breathers is that you have to change your oil out more often. My car rarely gets past 3K miles between changes. I actually tend to do them every 2500 because it keeps the mileage numbers easier to track.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back