That p/s delete thing REALLY works

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i know im stupid but whats a p/s delete ???????? please !

just a belt that by-passes the power steering pump. just a catch phrase

And man I seriously doubt you are stupid by any means

oman_cobra

Lethal Mustang
Reaction score
just a belt that by-passes the power steering pump. just a catch phrase

And man I seriously doubt you are stupid by any means
thanks man :thumb:
can you do this easily, i mean its appears easy under the hood ??

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks man :thumb:
can you do this easily, i mean its appears easy under the hood ??

My intake sits over the open area infront of the T-Body. so I take the two screws out of the coolant res. and slide it to the right. I will tell you, if you have a 1/2 drive break-over bar, use it on the tensioner, cause you have to put some pressure on the tensioner to move (clockwise) it with one hand, while yo slip the belt off the altenator with the other, so the longer the handle the better. It's harder to put the long belt back on that it is the short one cause you have all the anti lock brke crap in the way so its hard to get to the p/s pulley. But still, about 5 mins to put the short belt on, and 8 mins to put the long one back on. I just drove home with no p/s and put the long one back on the next morning.

After you make one run without the p/s, it wont matter if it takes 20 minutes......lol

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
True, but isnt there still some frictional losses? The pulley does have mass that has to be spun as well.

You are right, but by-passing it will not give you any noticable decrease in drag. Even with the bearing friction and load from the belt tension, I would be shocked if there was 1/8 hp consummed by drag from it.

Also, if you by-pass the AC, you now lose a leverage point for the tensioner.

7604950910b79f8b.jpg

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Some companies make them. It's a plate with a pulley on it. That does no good unless you remove the AC parts for weigt savings. LOL

AirGoNomyk

Owned by a 3 legged dog
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess someone outta invent a clutch pully for the p/s pump...

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I guess someone outta invent a clutch pully for the p/s pump...

I have been thinking about making one for the PS and the Alt. After the burnout, flip the switch, make your run, and turn the acc back on.

I'm thinking a bolt on piggyback with new brackets to correct the offset. Time to start some R&D...

wldtang

forum member
Reaction score
I am a newbee to the site and to s197 platform.

Just curious, if you bypass the PS then does it affect the brakes?

I ask because I know the 96-04's use hydroboost for the brakes which is ran off of the ps.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am a newbee to the site and to s197 platform.

Just curious, if you bypass the PS then does it affect the brakes?

I ask because I know the 96-04's use hydroboost for the brakes which is ran off of the ps.
No the S197 it just effect the steering, the brakes are powered by Vacuum Boost.

BTW, Welcome to the Mad house :) jk, this is a great place...

here is the diagram and part number on the P/S Belt Delete

The RED Dot is where you will use a 1/2 drive Breaker bar to unload the spring tension and remove the belt. Very Easy to Do......

PSDelete.jpg

Last edited:

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have UDP's, so will the 4060882 still work for me? Or do I need a different belt? Also, could I get an exact list of tools needed for the removal/install procedure?

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
I have UDP's, so will the 4060882 still work for me? Or do I need a different belt? Also, could I get an exact list of tools needed for the removal/install procedure?
Yes the same belt is used. All you need is a breaker bar that you put into the tensioner pulley to move and loosen the belt and get it off a pulley.:thumb:

wldtang

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Is there a way to bypass the a/c and PS?

No the S197 it just effect the steering, the brakes are powered by Vacuum Boost.

BTW, Welcome to the Mad house :) jk, this is a great place...

here is the diagram and part number on the P/S Belt Delete

The RED Dot is where you will use a 1/2 drive Breaker bar to unload the spring tension and remove the belt. Very Easy to Do......

PSDelete.jpg

Last edited:

dieselboy28

sick my duck
Reaction score
as stated before there is no reason to bypass the a/c as it doesnt draw any power when not engaged. plus if you did the tensioner wouldnt be able to do its job.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back