Cai without a tune

Stang006

Reaction score
Hello, new guy here. I have a 2006 GT vert with 47 k on the clock. Everything is stock and would like to put a CAI on, but not really wanting a tune unless I have to. What would be the best cai for this? Thanks for any info.

buster

Reaction score
If you don't want to put a tune on it save your money and don't bother.
The cai kits which don't need a tune normally have a restrictor in the tube so all you gain is a little bit of induction noise.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Airaid and K/N claim No Tune Required options available if you wish spend the dough.

Stang006

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I did read the tech board did not see anything that answered my questions. thanks a lot

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
If you don't ever plan to mod your ride, for any reason, CAI is simply cosmetic & if that's what you wish then K&N is a good option. Any remote chance of adding exhaust, gears, supercharger, etc...then save up and go for the CAI + tuner. I did the JLT w/SCT X4 through Brenspeed...great combo for under $600.

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score
If you don't ever plan to mod your ride, for any reason, CAI is simply cosmetic & if that's what you wish then K&N is a good option. Any remote chance of adding exhaust, gears, supercharger, etc...then save up and go for the CAI + tuner. I did the JLT w/SCT X4 through Brenspeed...great combo for under $600.

I've heard about bama...what tuner would you recommend? I'm trying to save myself going through a big headache.

Stang006

Reaction score
Thanks iceman. This is what I am looking for. Magazines show many CAI's that say no tune required and some even show a gain of horse power with no tune. If this was true which brand was the best. Figured the tune was the way to go. Will check out your recommendation.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Even better would be to get the tune without the CAI. Even a rudimentary search will show that the Mustang airboxes flow tons of air and a CAI is often more of a 'hot air intake' which does more harm than good. Unless you're pushing 10 lbs of boost the stock airbox is all you need.

tightwhite08

Reaction score
I have a used K&N FIPK CAI that you are welcome to. Came installed on my 08 that I purchased last year with only 3200 miles so the filter is only lightly used. Small nominal fee and shipping and its yours.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I did read the tech board did not see anything that answered my questions. thanks a lot

New guy ! your thread isn't tech related, therefore you won't find the answers to your questions in the tech forums.. If you search the forums prior to submitting a new thread as required, you'll find the answers your looking for in the Mustang chit chat sub forums.. I can however tell you from personal experience that I owned the Airaid CAI which includes a non-tune insert, but in order to get the best performance from your Mustang, it would be in your best interest to get yourself a hand held programmer with aftermarket tuning, as you'll notice significant HP/Torque gains over stock in addition to your car being able to breathe much easier as well.. Just as Skwerl also mentioned in his response, your car would also benefit from tuning even with the stock airbox still in place.. At any rate, should you decide to purchase the Airaid CAI, the MAF tube housing becomes 100mm with the non-tune insert removed which will then require an aftermarket tune.. Otherwise the non-tune insert reduces the MAF housing size down to the stock 79.5mm-80mm diameter.. In the meantime, hope you'll find this info as useful..

Last edited:

Stang006

Reaction score
Sorry I guess I don't understand, I thought I was in the tech section when I was searching. I looked under search best Cai for a 2006 Mustang GT and I did not find anything without a tune. I guess my question wasn't right. Did not need to cause any problem by asking this question here. But I do appreciate all the responses that I'm getting I guess I should have asked what's the best oil to use. Am I not in the tech forum for 2006 Mustang GT. Asking a question about the intake is not tech? will look for a chit chat forum. I did not see that either. Great welcome to a forum I can tell you that.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
This thread has already been moved out of the tech forum. Tech on this forum is for discussing actual tech, not which part to buy. 90% of what the Facebook crowd considers tech, isn't.

Stang006

Reaction score
Well first off I don't use Facebook. After looking for Chit Chat Forum I found it. What is considered Tech? Please give me a list of questions I can ask on the tech form without getting bashed for asking a question. I did not ask what to buy I asked what is best anyway nevermind, I'm just a little confused and not trying to be a butthead about this but it says it's been moved out of the tech form but yet when I go to 2005 plus Mustang Tech it's still there.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Read the links posted above

This site requires a thick skin

Stang006

Reaction score
I did read the post above and I appreciate your links I understand that. I do have a thick skin, I'm just giving it back.

Stang006

Reaction score
Well after taking a butt chewing I found the right forum to post this. I guess I need to study this forum a little better. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated I like the suggestion from Iceman and others. thank you

Stang006

Reaction score
I have a used K&N FIPK CAI that you are welcome to. Came installed on my 08 that I purchased last year with only 3200 miles so the filter is only lightly used. Small nominal fee and shipping and its yours.
Hi tightwhite08, what are you asking for the Cai?

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
I've heard about bama...what tuner would you recommend? I'm trying to save myself going through a big headache.

My son went w/Bama and their support sux a$$. Only reason, for him, was the "free tunes for life" guarantee, but if they can't make minor adjustment...what's the point. Brenspeed's service is stellar and X4 tuner's same as Bama (SCT re-branded = Bama). I'm pretty pleased so far and don't foresee any future issues.

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score
My son went w/Bama and their support sux a$$. Only reason, for him, was the "free tunes for life" guarantee, but if they can't make minor adjustment...what's the point. Brenspeed's service is stellar and X4 tuner's same as Bama (SCT re-branded = Bama). I'm pretty pleased so far and don't foresee any future issues.

Yea I rather pay to have it done right, I don't care about free tunes for life if they won't help you. I will check out Brenspeeds, thanks man!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back