07 SGT tune help

RoninGT

Reaction score
07 Shelby GT.

I'm in a BS Colorado emissions (carb compliant? ) area.

Researching a Procharger. They make standard tunes which would easily add power and be compliant and no worries.

However the PC tune is designed to go on top of a standard GT tune I understand. Not the Shelby tune currently on these cars which is called a Pro Cal Performance tune.

Options:

1. Ford flashes the original tune on? Seems possible but maybe stupid?
2. Buy another GT ECU?
3. Custom tune and hope to tweak to pass in two years.
4. Just enjoy the car and if I want more power sell and get gt500.
5. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for any help......

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
1. Ford flashes the original tune on? Seems possible but maybe stupid? even with this the stock tune might struggle due to mods
2. Buy another GT ECU? Lots of work just to pass inspection
3. Custom tune and hope to tweak to pass in two years. Probably won't pass due to parameters
4. Just enjoy the car and if I want more power sell and get gt500. That works
5. Anything I'm missing? Moving to Florida. Lot's of Sunshine ad no Inspections

RoninGT

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. BTW- originally from Tampa. Would love to go back. Family is here however.

As far as #1 goes:
Ford flashes the original tune on? even with this the stock tune might struggle due to mods

I suspect this is correct however it only struggles until I get the procharger in and procharger tune on.
Only reason to throw the standard GT tune on is to write over it....
Does that make sense?
OR
Are you saying sense the car is somewhat modded from Shelby, a standard procharger tune may struggle too?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. BTW- originally from Tampa. Would love to go back. Family is here however.

As far as #1 goes:
Ford flashes the original tune on? even with this the stock tune might struggle due to mods

I suspect this is correct however it only struggles until I get the procharger in and procharger tune on.
Only reason to throw the standard GT tune on is to write over it....
Does that make sense?
OR
Are you saying sense the car is somewhat modded from Shelby, a standard procharger tune may struggle too

What existing mods do you currently have?

RoninGT

Reaction score
Ok thanks a ton. Of course dumb ass me was thinking the SGT is basically a GT with some "stuff" added. Everybody puts blowers on these things.

Now I know. Is it worth the effort?
Probably not. Unless it's a 100% keeper.

Otherwise a 500 would pass. Another first world issue lol.

Thanks again...

AHaze

Reaction score
Your stock tune file will be saved to whatever device is included with the Paxton kit when you flash the new tune. The Paxton kits include a new MAF housing so the Ford Racing intake will be completely removed and is a non issue. Once the blower is on there will be zero tuning difference requirements between a SGT and and a GT.

RoninGT

Reaction score
Thank you. So I was originally looking at Procharger as I was told it is the simplest install. Also I suspect this particular mechanic works with those, is a dealer etc.

Sounds like you are saying in the Paxton world, the SGT "issues" are resolved with included MAF, tuner etc.

Thanks. There seems to be a few "experts" in and around Colorado. Each has their own recommendations of course and prices vary quite a bit. I need a SME and usually forums like this help a lot.

07 Boss

Reaction score
If you're wanting to go with some boost and remain CARB compliant why not look at something like the roush tvs set up? They make cars for California so I'm sure they have something that works for out there that will be easier than trying to piece together something that you have to struggle with to get to pass.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah centrifugal vs roots type SC. There are many options out there… not sure which one is CARB compliant?

RoninGT

Reaction score
Actually a great idea and where I started. I had a Roush and loved it. That 2016 version and my 2011 gt500 passed no issues.

I was originally told the procharger is cool as it's essentially bolt on. I guess in my thoughts to not alter the "shelby" build and originality of the car this made sense.

However now I'm at a different crossroads. I am familiar with roots type. I would think it would pass as well if tuned correctly. I'm not after 6 or 700 hp. Just a good safe boost.

I have reached out to another shop to get their thoughts. May go to a couple local car club meets too.

The ideas here are valuable. Eventually I'll find a path.

Thanks!

moooosestang

Reaction score
As someone mentioned the tune on your car is a stock tune as far as the sct tuner device is concerned that would come with your supercharger kit. it doesn't care that it's a shelby GT. I think eldebrock is the only PD blower kit available anymore for the 3v's. you could install this yourself. 50 state legal. https://www.brenspeed.com/1580.html A paxton kit is quite a bit cheaper, i'm sure it will pass emissions as well. https://www.brenspeed.com/fbpaxton.html Easier to install a centri for sure.

RoninGT

Reaction score
Damn I'm confused. Lol.

Me doing it myself sounds intimidating. But a local mechanic told me the same thing. Don't pay me, just DIY.

I got a buddy that would help but he is in Texas. And I have install estimates from 8900 to 13k! (And the 13k was for a procharger!)

Anyway this is all very helpful..... thanks!

RoninGT

Reaction score
So I'm assuming as you mentioned above, a tuner included woth the package would not care about my existing Shelby Pro Cal tune. It just writes over it.

However I bet I have the FRPP intake which needs modified.......

Please Note: This Supercharger is designed by PAXTON to fit the factory intake manifold. If your car has a 2007-10 FRPP intake manifold installed, you will need to modify the manifold. Click here to see how.

moooosestang

Reaction score
So I'm assuming as you mentioned above, a tuner included woth the package would not care about my existing Shelby Pro Cal tune. It just writes over it.

Please Note: This Supercharger is designed by PAXTON to fit the factory intake manifold. If your car has a 2007-10 FRPP intake manifold installed, you will need to modify the manifold. Click here to see how.
Email brenspeed and tell them what you got. they will tell you what you need. Your car is essentially a stock gt. the sct handheld tuner will save your stock tune no matter what is on the car, then it will upload the supercharger tune. It really is not hard to install any supercharger on these cars. if you have the tools to change spark plugs then you probably have everything you need. Only special tool you might need is the fuel line disconnect tool, which is cheap on amazon.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I thought the Shelby GT's and Bullitt's had a different factory tune due to the FRP intake and other accouterments?

AHaze

Reaction score

You have the FRPP cold air intake. This will be removed when most superchargers go on because they include their own CAI. The FRPP intake manifold is just that, a manifold. No '05-'10 Mustang came from the factory with this part.

AHaze

Reaction score
I thought the Shelby GT's and Bullitt's had a different factory tune due to the FRP intake and other accouterments?
They do but that's completely irrelevant to the installation of a supercharger. An '05 GT and a '10 GT also have different tunes but the Vortech kit on my car came with one tune that covers both because the parts that are still on the car after the blower is installed are effectively identical.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back