07 SGT tune help

JC SSP

Reaction score
Ok I understand with SC but some one said it had a stock GT tune. No issues and definitely a good tune is very important.

Last edited:

RoninGT

Reaction score
Thanks to all again for the input. I'm gonna summarize what I think I learned here.

Originally I figured I could put a blower of some sort on this thing. Everyone does and it's really just a GT with Shelby stuff. No problem.

Local mechanic recommended Procharger. Easy, non invasive, CARB compliant, xtra ponies. I contacted Procharger- NO you can't put our kit on there because it has a different tune than original GT and ours wont work. (The suggestion was made to reflash at FORD back to a stock tune to get around this).

So what I am understanding now is - YES, you can throw on a Edlebrock (if ya want roots) or Paxton, Vortech but you need to include the SCT tuner as well in the package . Then just save the Pro Cal tune and write over the existing tune with the new tune.

So Ok, I got that. (do I got that? lol) However then there was a local debate on if that would throw me out of emissions. IF I have a custom tune of sorts. But if this is the "package tune" with a CARB compliant device then I'm probably good?(Colorado changes requirements I guess and my next test is in two years. This last test they just checked to see if all systems showed as "ready". I passed).

Like mentioned above, the tune is critical. I know you guys know a crap ton more than me and could probably do this yourself. And that resonates with me when a local shop quotes 3900.00 to install a Procharger.

This forum has been awesome and maybe I can meet some local folks with knowledge too.

AHaze

Reaction score
My Vortech has CARB EO# D-213-26 on the gear case tag. The document associated with that number specifically mentions "ECU upgrade" as being included under that EO#. The E-Force stage 1 kit has CARB EO# D-215-89 which specifically includes the words "reflashed ECM".
In both cases, the supercharger must be run as packaged and absolutely everything not included in the kit must remain stock.
That last little gotcha would push me towards the E-force as the pulley included with the Vortech/Paxton begs for the shift point to be pushed up to 6500 RPM. The E-force also (legally) deletes the CMCV system which is not the case with the Vortech/Paxton twins.
The Edelbrock does not include an MAF housing in the CARB legal stage 1 kit and the included tune is calibrated for the stock GT airbox. The instructions specifically mention that Bullitt and Shelby models will have to replace the FRPP air inlet with the standard GT airbox. No other considerations are mentioned in the instructions for those models.

RoninGT

Reaction score
Thank you. Sounds like a Vortech or Procharger would still work providing I leave everything as stock as possible and tune it correctly.
I did receive a Procharger quote showing the kit, injectors, helical gear , fuel pump , install plus 900 for dyno and ECM tune. Also a option for remote tuning. They are certain it would pass. They are in Colorado but not nearby.

Procharger seems really popular....not sure why but maybe just a larger market share ...

AHaze

Reaction score
Just a heads up, that $900 dyno tune, while likely better than any "catch-all" tune included with a kit will most certainly not be CARB legal. Not sure if that matters where you are but there are places where they check for that and any state or county could start doing the same at any time. The car could pass the rest of the emissions inspection with flying colors but if the tune doesn't have CARB approval, it's an automatic fail.

RoninGT

Reaction score
And that my friend is why I'm about ready to just can the idea. Don't get me wrong, I believe ya.

I asked directly will the car if done as quoted pass emissions.

The answer was:

Yes. Will have no issues passing emissions.

RoninGT

Reaction score
Sounds like I got two other options that work if I want to bail entirely

1. GT500
2. Standard GT. Then mod to my hearts desire

AHaze

Reaction score
A standard GT puts you in pretty much the exact same position as your Shelby GT as far as being able to "mod to your hearts desire" and still guarantee passing emissions. Basically, either way you buy a CARB legal kit and install as is with the included tune. You could, of course, run another tune/pulley/air inlet combo and try to get it to pass but I would want to have the option of reverting to the full CARB legal setup to guarantee I could pass in the future.
Of course, a GT500 wouldn't be awful either. I certainly considered it before I installed the Vortech on my GT.

RoninGT

Reaction score
That helps, thank you. Sounds like we have entertained similar thought processes. Perhaps if you could detail a bit more on what you did I could mirror that as my option? Either in this thread or PM. I don't want to take up resources or make a forum faux pas. However if I can come up with suitable option then I can compare vs staying with SGT stock or going 500 this year. I would like to keep the SGT.

moooosestang

Reaction score
I don't know what procharger includes with their kit for tuning. A one point whipple was having people send them their ecm and they flashed it and sent it back next day air, then they started to include their own tuner. Like i said, brenspeed would be the ones to ask. i'm sure they have sold many kits to people in colorado. Option 3. would be move to a free state.

RoninGT

Reaction score
I had written brenspeed. They seemed really busy and were not much help. Ill look local.

Last edited:

RoninGT

Reaction score
Easy I am in FL.
Sorry. That looks worse than I meant. I'm from Tampa Florida. Born there.

What I meant was Colorado kinda sucks but the only family I got is here. So regardless of the BS here I'm stuck. Kids in school, sports etc. Whole fam damliy stuck here for a few more years at least

JC SSP

Reaction score
You’re good buddy. Family is the most important part of life.

RoninGT

Reaction score
Ran into some folks at a local speed shop. All sorts of horror stories on air testing here in Colorado and the wonderful highly trained souls making the decisions (sniff, dyno, port etc) at the stations.. Same woes with Subaru, Audi, Porsche, BMW as Ford.

Easy options for me I guess:

1.Many just register their car in a non emissions area. I guess there are multiple ways to do that (even out of state) but what a PIA.

2. You want HP more than the SGT- just buy it. A Coyote or gt500 will be compliant and there ya go.

3. You want a unique low mile, one owner nice example of a SGT (more than HP) than you got it.

My initial thoughts were 2 and 3 combined (500hp SGT). Probably not going to happen. Best bet probably keep SGT as is and if I do trade, it will be for more than just HP. It will be a dream car of sorts..... Like black, vert GT500 or a Roush etc.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I learned a boat load.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back