Just a reminder for those with a spare tire

Phil1098

Reaction score
When is the last time you checked the air pressure in your spare? I just lifted the carpet in my car and could push in a long way on the sidewall of mine. If I needed it, it would be worthless. It's one of those things nobody thinks about until you need it.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do they have TPMS units in them too now? My wife's RAV4 does, but it has a full size spare.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
very easy to forget.

Never thought about it, but could I still use the spare on my car even though it's on 20s and lowered a lot? I'm pretty sure if I put it on the back it would destroy the clutches, right?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
very easy to forget.

Never thought about it, but could I still use the spare on my car even though it's on 20s and lowered a lot? I'm pretty sure if I put it on the back it would destroy the clutches, right?

If the front and rear are the same size, jack the car up move a front tire to the rear and put the spare on the front.

Generally it's a bad idea to put two different tire heights on a T-LOK axle. If limping it off the highway is the goal you would be ok. If you are driving a couple hundred miles down the NYS thruway like the lady in the Chrysler 300 I passed twice a couple weeks ago (passed her, stopped for the kids to pee, then passed her again), not so much.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I thought that was the case. Thank you for confirming.

Front and rear should be overall same diameter, i'd have to check.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I cant even get to mine with the shaker 1000 subs lol. I need to carry some fix a flat. Im glad you posted this to jar my brain.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
So how close does it have to be for the rear? I'm going to have to start driving about 90 miles round trip when school starts for my kid.

That's weird, I've got the Shaker 1000 in mine, and it's no issue getting to my spare.

46addict

Reaction score
Yeah the "trunk floor" only covers the spare tire well and the rest of the carpeting folds over the subs when you lift the board.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I cant even get to mine with the shaker 1000 subs lol. I need to carry some fix a flat. Im glad you posted this to jar my brain.

The '05 I had came with the Shaker 1000 and I had no problem getting to the spare.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
So how close does it have to be for the rear? I'm going to have to start driving about 90 miles round trip when school starts for my kid.

That's weird, I've got the Shaker 1000 in mine, and it's no issue getting to my spare.

this was for a 4wd suv ... but theory should still apply

"A difference in tire circumference of more than 1/4-inch, the invoice said, ``will slow the process of going in and out of four-wheel-drive'' and a variance of more than 1/2-inch will ``cause damage to the drivetrain.''

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
What 46addict said. I cant lift it because of the carpeting. But the floor itself does slightly hit the sub not allowing me to lift the cover more than a couple inches.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
What is this spare you guys speak of?

Lol! This is the first vehicle I've ever bought that didn't have one. It was one of the first things I checked for afterI bought it. Used to drive to TN once every month or so and so I was kinda pissed when I realized I didn't have 1. Of course, the first thing I did was hit Ebay for a take off or donut not realizing the damn thing has to be the same size as the rears. I still carry it in case I lose 1 of the fronts but will use Tire Slime and the pump for the rears. I just love the look of the slightly narrower tire on the front. Hope I never have a blowout.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure mine was still full of air when I removed it and threw it away 10 years ago lol.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Frak, I forgot I even had a spare back there. I wonder if I should just ditch it for weight savings because Brembos and Racecar.

What did the factory-equipped Brembo cars come with?

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had a blow out early last year. Thankfully it was the front. I think the spare would've been worthless on the rear. It was very low though, only had about 15 psi in it. I only had to drive about 5 miles otherwise I would've been stuck.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score

Be careful with the fix a flat. If the tire has repairable damage, the FAF can prevent a patch from sticking to the tire. The FAF can also ruin TPMS sensors. It's difficult to clean all that junk out of a tire once it's been used.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Be careful with the fix a flat. If the tire has repairable damage, the FAF can prevent a patch from sticking to the tire. The FAF can also ruin TPMS sensors. It's difficult to clean all that junk out of a tire once it's been used.

Ive heard its bad for tires before but what else could I use if I ever got a flat? Btw I can sort of get the trunk floor out if I pull up and over to the drivers side. I just tried it earlier when I replaced a tail light bulb.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back