S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com

Go Back   S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com > Non-Tech Talk > Other Hobbies

Other Hobbies I know you have other interest besides Mustangs. Lets talk about it!

Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
CammedS197
forum member

CammedS197 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CAD users?

Anyone on here do 3D CAD and solid modeling? I started out on Solidworks at the beginning of the year. So far I love it and also working on my engineering degree.

Any of you build your own little projects for fun? I've just finished a centrifugal supercharger and now working on multiple muffler designs that I will use on my 06 3 valve to test out and I've also modeled an AR-15 lower for my wife, did a skeltonized version for it. Should be nice when all done. Will take some time though. But I've taken a massive interest in mufflers and exhaust since I've been playing around with my 3 valves exhaust.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
GTAmuscle
forum member

GTAmuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

In school I learned Solidworks and AutoCAD. Built a parking garage in class with AutoCAD, but since then I never had the opportunity to touch either again

Airraid CAI, Pypes O/R X, Borla Touring, FRPP Intake Manifold, Dark Stars with ET Streets (275/50R15), LITO TUNED, 4.10's
12.814 @ 106.48
GTAmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
CammedS197
forum member

Nice. Have you ever wanted to get back into it?
Old 04-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
GTAmuscle
forum member

GTAmuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps if I had a CNC machine or a 3D printer then I could make some fun stuff. But, other than that I'd have to completely change careers to use either.

Airraid CAI, Pypes O/R X, Borla Touring, FRPP Intake Manifold, Dark Stars with ET Streets (275/50R15), LITO TUNED, 4.10's
12.814 @ 106.48
GTAmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
CammedS197
forum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAmuscle View Post
Perhaps if I had a CNC machine or a 3D printer then I could make some fun stuff. But, other than that I'd have to completely change careers to use either.
Ahh gotcha.
CammedS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:21 AM   #6
NastyStang113
Made in U.S.A.

NastyStang113 is a name known to allNastyStang113 is a name known to allNastyStang113 is a name known to allNastyStang113 is a name known to allNastyStang113 is a name known to allNastyStang113 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAmuscle View Post
In school I learned Solidworks and AutoCAD. Built a parking garage in class with AutoCAD, but since then I never had the opportunity to touch either again
Same here but it was highschool. I really enjoyed it even though I wasn't the best.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
ghunt81
New parts on old junk!

ghunt81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use CAD every day at work, but it's all survey/pipeline stuff so the 3D stuff is generally limited to surfaces, 3D polylines and survey points. I feel like I went through school right before a lot of the 3D stuff was getting big so my exposure to it was pretty limited- although I really wouldn't use it for my job anyway.

2005 Mustang GT--CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito 93 Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted H, FRPP AB, BMR springs, Koni STR.T's, J&M UCA & mount, BMR LCA & brackets, J&M AL pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos, S550 wheels
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
ghunt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
CammedS197
forum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt81 View Post
I use CAD every day at work, but it's all survey/pipeline stuff so the 3D stuff is generally limited to surfaces, 3D polylines and survey points. I feel like I went through school right before a lot of the 3D stuff was getting big so my exposure to it was pretty limited- although I really wouldn't use it for my job anyway.
Yeah, now all the high schools have CAD. Never knew what I wanted to do then anyways so I joined the Army did my active time came back and got into law enforcement since I needed a job and the opportunity was there and was just looking at degrees and engineering is something thats always interested me and so now I'm back in school getting my engineering degree and met some guys who used CAD in their engineering fields and I fell in love with it. It's so much fun to me. I've built a centrifugal supercharger and some different mufflers in class that I want to test out on my 3 valve. But I recently just came across a great opportunity working as a 3D drafter/designer at an aviation company and is a plus I was in the aviation field in the army as a helicopter engine mechanic. I hate my current job lol, so I'm really hoping this job opportunity pans out and can finally start getting more experience and moving forward in my new career path.