S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com

Go Back   S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com > Mustang s197 Tech Forums > 2005+ Ford Mustang v6 4.0L Tech

2005+ Ford Mustang v6 4.0L Tech Technical discussion about the 2005+ Ford Mustang 4.0L v6

Old 08-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
MDred

MDred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cut off while driving and won't start back.

Hello
While driving on the fwy on a high temp late afternoon, my 06 4.0 lost power and coasted to a stop. I have tried resetting the fuel cut off switch by pressing the button on the driver footwell wall, replaced the fuel pump and filter with no positive result. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
MDred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
MDred

Also checked and the car is getting spark.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
07gts197
forum member

07gts197 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it getting fuel? Have you checked for codes and checked the crank position sensor?
07gts197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:36 AM   #4
MDred

It's getting fuel. I ran the battery down and I lost the codes. I haven't checked the crank position sensor. Where is it on this car? It's an automatic.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:45 AM   #5
RocketcarX
95% of my weight is fuel

RocketcarX is an unknown quantity at this point

On those as mentioned the Crank Position Sensor is bad about going out, however if you have spark it's doubtful that's the issue.
Is the anti-theft light blinking? It sounds like the injectors aren't firing.
The alternative might be a broken timing chain, the same 4.0 in the explorers were famous for it. Usually that's accompanied by a pile of noise, though.
Charge the battery all the way up, don't let it die again and eventually it will throw a code if it's a hard fault, even just cranking.

"We go together like cocaine and waffles" - Cal Naughton Jr.

Last edited by RocketcarX; 08-16-2017 at 04:16 AM.
RocketcarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:25 AM   #6
Bingo
Because street car

Bingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud of

My throttle body motor died and left me stranded in that same fashion. Knowing the code would help.
2005 GT | JDM E-Force #3331 | T-56 Magnum XL
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:03 AM   #7
MDred

I cleaned the MAF last night. The car gave a slightly better no start by running for a little longer before quitting. Bingo can you tell me more about the throttle body motor? Also the car will give a few second run before quitting. Will a broken timing belt do that? I didn't get noise at all. Is there a check for injector firing?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:15 AM   #8
RocketcarX
95% of my weight is fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDred View Post
I cleaned the MAF last night. The car gave a slightly better no start by running for a little longer before quitting. Bingo can you tell me more about the throttle body motor? Also the car will give a few second run before quitting. Will a broken timing belt do that? I didn't get noise at all. Is there a check for injector firing?
If you are concerned about the MAF, unplug it and try to start the car, should fire up if the MAF is reading wrong when plugged in.

No, if the timing components failed it would not run, or if it did, it would be terrible and obviously fucked up.

Yes, to check of injector fire you can use a cheap injector noid light to see if it's firing the injectors, I'm still curious if the anti-theft light is blinking.

Have you tried to pull codes or looked into the pending codes since trying again?

Old 08-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
Bingo
Because street car

Bingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud ofBingo has much to be proud of

Quote:
If the TB motor is dead, the car will be in fail-safe mode with a check engine light and at least one code. For me, it would crank, fire up, and then immediately die. Easiest way to know if that's the culprit is to pull a code if you have one. Also, the CEL would pop up immediately upon starting.
2005 GT | JDM E-Force #3331 | T-56 Magnum XL
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #10
MDred

RocketcarX I have no anti theft light on. I also have no CEL. I will try to pull codes again this eve. I will also look into using noid lights. I've never used them.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
GTAmuscle
forum member

GTAmuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cut off while driving and won't start back.

Fuel pump shut off? Driver side kick panel

Never mind... bad skim

Airraid CAI, Pypes O/R X, Borla Touring, FRPP Intake Manifold, Dark Stars with ET Streets (275/50R15), LITO TUNED, 4.10's
12.814 @ 106.48

Last edited by GTAmuscle; 08-18-2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Failure to read
GTAmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #12
07gts197
forum member

How did you check if the car has spark? Another easy thing you can do is pull the plugs after cranking it a bit and see if they smell like raw fuel. That would at least tell you if the injectors are firing or not.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #13
MDred

I checked spark by pulling a plug wire off, putting a plug in the wire, putting a jumper on the plug and the negative battery terminal. While having someone crank the engine I saw the plug give spark. I will try pulling a plug after cranking and check for raw fuel.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:17 PM   #14
MDred

I just checked on YouTube for how to on Noid lights. It seems to me the car has to be running to use this tool. Am I correct?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #15
07gts197
forum member

Ok so for sure it is getting spark then. Most likely either the injectors arent firing or no air is getting into the combustion chamber.

A noid light lights up when there is power at the injector its plugged into, ie the one that is firing. The injectors will fire during cranking too so you could use them while cranking.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:56 AM   #16
RocketcarX
95% of my weight is fuel

Quote:
I just checked on YouTube for how to on Noid lights. It seems to me the car has to be running to use this tool. Am I correct?
They will flash during cranking as you have to have fuel to start the engine, meaning the computer should be pulsing them so you have fuel for the engine to actually fire up and run.
One person crank, the other watch the noid.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:34 AM   #17
MDred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gts197 View Post
Ok so for sure it is getting spark then. Most likely either the injectors arent firing or no air is getting into the combustion chamber.

A noid light lights up when there is power at the injector its plugged into, ie the one that is firing. The injectors will fire during cranking too so you could use them while cranking.
What are conditions that could prevent air and what are troubleshooting methods for this?
Old 08-19-2017, 02:40 AM   #18
MDred

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketcarX View Post
They will flash during cranking as you have to have fuel to start the engine, meaning the computer should be pulsing them so you have fuel for the engine to actually fire up and run.
One person crank, the other watch the noid.
What might my next steps be if the noids aren't pulsing?
Old 08-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #19
MDred

First I'd like to thank all the responders for their help. It's appreciated. I'd also like to ask another question. A mechanic friend thinks I may have a fuel pressure issue though I have installed a new pump and filter. So I will check for pressure with rented gauges from AUTOZONE. Where do I connect them? Does anyone have an image? Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #20
RocketcarX
95% of my weight is fuel

Once you check fuel pressure report back.
If the injectors aren't firing and you have spark it almost has to be an anti-theft issue.