Getting the best bang for my buck. I have $5k what should I get done.

46addict

Reaction score
I'll sell you my Rotrex kit off my old 2006. Comes with a lot of extra stuff and good parts. It made good power -- car trapped high 120s.

How much boost was it set up for? Any supporting mods besides the typical fuel upgrades?

To answer the OP, a big bore build with heads/cams etc makes sense for a road course car. For starters the added weight of supercharger/turbo components at the nose of the car can upset the balance in the corners and you'll be looking for ways to keep inlet air temps (among other critical temps) at a decent level.

For a street/strip car, boost/nitrous will net the biggest bang for the buck. If you decide to go this route, hold off on the cams. Low boost setups will work just fine with stock cams, and some cams don't play well with superchargers/turbos so you need to figure out what your final power goals are. Otherwise you'll waste time & money going from one setup to another.

fonz3482

Reaction score
How much boost was it set up for? Any supporting mods besides the typical fuel upgrades?

To answer the OP, a big bore build with heads/cams etc makes sense for a road course car. For starters the added weight of supercharger/turbo components at the nose of the car can upset the balance in the corners and you'll be looking for ways to keep inlet air temps (among other critical temps) at a decent level.

For a street/strip car, boost/nitrous will net the biggest bang for the buck. If you decide to go this route, hold off on the cams. Low boost setups will work just fine with stock cams, and some cams don't play well with superchargers/turbos so you need to figure out what your final power goals are. Otherwise you'll waste time & money going from one setup to another.

I have a stock engine with 6000 miles on it and stock internals. I've read somewhere that stock internals can only handle 450-475hp. The car will be mostly used for driving, not racing. I run down the thruway to work for about 30mi and I'd run the car to cruise nights and shows, but it would barely see any track time at this point.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As far as your question about turbos, they are awesome but certainly are not for a power adder or mechanical novice unless you can afford to have a shop doing the install, troubleshooting, etc...

The used kit I bought was missing a few pieces but I still saved a bunch of money over buying new.

fonz3482

Reaction score
I started another thread inquiring about on3 turbo kits. The local speed shop told me to look into them. They seem cheaper and I wonder about quality. I believe they also don't include everything you need for install and to have a functioning car after. I went onto On3's site nd the turbo kit has several options and I'm not even sure if those are all options I would need or If I even need more. If I can get one of those kits and the extras needed to make it work and produce around 450-475hp and have it installed and tuned at the local speed shop for $5k is that too much? not enough? Or stay away from the on3 turbo's all together???

46addict

Reaction score
The On3 kits are designed to be turn-key/plug and play. The base price is under $2k and even with some supporting mods for fueling, MAF, and billet compressor wheel you are still below $3k. If you are getting this car tuned locally, it would be good to find out if the tuner is willing & able to tune a turbo car vice a supercharged car. I don't know the labor rate for a turbo install but I know dyno tuning can vary anywhere between $450-$700 to tune a boosted engine.

If you are comfortable with datalogging, you can skip this part and get it tuned remotely through Lito (forum member/vendor on this site). This option won't require catering the car to the tuner as Lito can tune just about any 4.6L 3v setup.

fonz3482

Reaction score
Are the On3 turbo kits a good quality product or are they problematic? I just called another local speed shop and they said they don't deal with them. They said the turbo kits he installs and sells are more expensive than a supercharger. Then he told me if a turbo kit is that cheap it can't be any good and you get what you pay for.... So this is what I'm dealing with on my end. LOL! Lack of good local performance shops and they want Me(the guy that knows nothing about FI) to look everything up, buy it and hand it to them to install.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
JMO, but given the questions you've asked I'd stay away from turbos. I've only dealt with a couple kits. One was already installed and the other I helped install. I wasn't overly impressed with either. It seems in order to get a turbo kit to work well it ends up being mostly custom. I almost traded a blower set up for a turbo, but decided to stick with what I knew well.

I haven't installed a DOB set up. But the guys seem like they don't have many issues. The eaton blowers are just fine. They'll make enough power to window a block.

If you don't go for a DOB kit I'd look into a new centrifugal set up. I think that would be more in line with your skill level. A few of them are plug and play for the most part and will give you enough power to keep you entertained for a while.

46addict

Reaction score
Are the On3 turbo kits a good quality product or are they problematic? I just called another local speed shop and they said they don't deal with them. They said the turbo kits he installs and sells are more expensive than a supercharger. Then he told me if a turbo kit is that cheap it can't be any good and you get what you pay for.... So this is what I'm dealing with on my end. LOL! Lack of good local performance shops and they want Me(the guy that knows nothing about FI) to look everything up, buy it and hand it to them to install.

That is true and I've learned that the hard way. But it's not like the On3 stuff is junk. There are examples of cars here running 10 second quarter mile times with On3 kits. The reason why they can sell them so cheap is because their base turbos come with cast compressor wheels and journal bearings. Their parts are low grade but not necessarily problematic.

There isn't anything wrong with Eaton blowers either. The shop you spoke to may have been referring to heat soak issues that come up when you overspin them, but that can happen with any supercharger.

Last edited:

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
.......may have been referring to heat soak issues that come up when you overspin them, but that can happen with any supercharger.

And with a DOB kit, you actually spin the blower a little slower than the factory GT500 does. This gives them good IAT's

Rm

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Go Turbo if you don't mind the installation, deff most complex install though. I switched from a procharger to a turbo, took me an hour to get the procharger completely off, took me two days(lazily working) to put the turbo kit on. Worth it though in my opinion, the power band is much more fun on a street car, and you come into it a lot quicker. I personally didn't care for the linear power the centri provided.

A lot of guys have run the on3 stuff without issues on all generations of mustangs.

That being said you Can't go wrong with a dob kit either. I'd go with one of the two.

Avery115

Reaction score
So after reading this thread and a few others you guys are saying stock internals will only handle about 450-475 hp and less than 10 psi for boast correct? I’m wanting to get a little more HP out of my stock 05. And I’m wanting a side mounted supercharger. I’ve got a local tune shop that’s going to be sping the tuning on my Dad’s GT 500 so that’s not an issue.

2007Vert

forum member
Reaction score
IMO the blower is your best bang for your buck. I installed a new Paxton Novi 1200SL kit and FRPP throttle body for right at $4k on my 2007 Mustang GT two years ago. The car ran mid 12's on stock tires. Good luck OP.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So after reading this thread and a few others you guys are saying stock internals will only handle about 450-475 hp and less than 10 psi for boast correct? I’m wanting to get a little more HP out of my stock 05. And I’m wanting a side mounted supercharger. I’ve got a local tune shop that’s going to be sping the tuning on my Dad’s GT 500 so that’s not an issue.

welcome to 2007............ :yaoface:

side mounted SC?? do you mean centrifugal blower?

Avery115

Reaction score
welcome to 2007............ :yaoface:

side mounted SC?? do you mean centrifugal blower?

Yes. That would be the difference between a “top mounted” or “positive displacement “ supercharger in my mind.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
PDs can be side mounted, never heard the term before used like that.

615879d1501348200-cheap-supercharger-kit-part-ii-dsc02677.jpg

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
PDs can be side mounted, never heard the term before used like that.

615879d1501348200-cheap-supercharger-kit-part-ii-dsc02677.jpg
Wow. Never seen that before. Pretty sure that is an Eaton M122 from a gt500.

I wonder what the what the plastic tanks are for. They look pretty serious.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back