S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com

Go Back   S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com > Mustang s197 Tech Forums > 2005+ Mustang GT 4.6L Tech

2005+ Mustang GT 4.6L Tech Technical discussion about the 2005+ Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Old 05-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #41
BruceH
BBB Big Bore Boss 322

BruceH is on a distinguished road

This was a known problem with the 2005 - 6 fuel pump. If you still have the original fuel pump it's where I'd start.

FYI there was a recall or TSB on the fuel pump. Being a retired master mechanic I'd guess you already checked the recalls and tsbs but I'm posting it just in case.

For sale: $13.5k http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132246
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #42
rickf

rickf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Is by chance your passenger side floor wet? If the cabin filter area gets plugged water builds up and drips over the sjb, causing all sorts of problems. Like pull up the carpet and check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
This was a known problem with the 2005 - 6 fuel pump. If you still have the original fuel pump it's where I'd start.

FYI there was a recall or TSB on the fuel pump. Being a retired master mechanic I'd guess you already checked the recalls and tsbs but I'm posting it just in case.
I will check the passender floor but I don't think it is getting wet because we have had three months of rain and there is no condensation in the car. What is sjb?

I had the fuel pump out and the part number jives with the new part number that would be put in with the recall. Ford has no record of it being done though. That on top of no pressure drops or fuel trim spikes leads me to believe it is not fuel related.

Now, it has finally thrown a code, don't have the number in front of me but bank two converter has failed. I can see it in the 02 sensor readings, bank2 -2 sensor is switching almost as much as 2-1. What are your thoughts that this could be clogged or just stopped working? I do not have the adapter for pressure testing it.
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #43
AndrewNagle
forum member

AndrewNagle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
What is sjb?
SJB = smart Junction Box

Passenger side foot well right side
AndrewNagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #44
BruceH
BBB Big Bore Boss 322

BruceH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I will check the passender floor but I don't think it is getting wet because we have had three months of rain and there is no condensation in the car. What is sjb?

I had the fuel pump out and the part number jives with the new part number that would be put in with the recall. Ford has no record of it being done though. That on top of no pressure drops or fuel trim spikes leads me to believe it is not fuel related.

Now, it has finally thrown a code, don't have the number in front of me but bank two converter has failed. I can see it in the 02 sensor readings, bank2 -2 sensor is switching almost as much as 2-1. What are your thoughts that this could be clogged or just stopped working? I do not have the adapter for pressure testing it.
Please post the code. I'm not sure I understand correctly about the o2 switching indicating a failed cat. Or did I misinterpret the post?

For sale: $13.5k http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132246
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #45
rickf

The code is a 430. Inefficiency of bank 2 converter. This is determined when the downstream o2 sensor starts switching voltages along with the upstream o2 sensor which tells the system that the cat is no longer storing oxygen.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #46
rickf

Ok, I did find the passenger floor was wet and the smaller white pluge on the door frame had corrosion in it. I plugged and unplugged many times with contact cleaner to clean up the pins but no change in the way it runs. Just another problem I will have to address. I have nor pulled the GEM module out yet but the main plug was clean, This water appears to be coming in the door seals. What exactly does that white plug control and also what does the GEM control? Does it have anything to do with the engine or the way it runs?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #47
mfergel
forum member

mfergel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post

Hmmm. Wonder if this is what causing my occasional issue. If I drive on the interstate with the air conditioner on (sometimes not) and hit an exit ramp and get to a stop sign, it will hesitate on take off sometimes. Like it dies quickly.
C&L Intake, Diablosport Tune, Roush Springs (1/1.25), 18" STR 609's, J&M U/L Control Arms, J&M Adjustable Panhard, U/L Strut Braces (Front), Raxiom Smoked Tails (w/sequentials), Cervini Ram Air Hood, SHR Decklid
mfergel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #48
J2L06GT
forum member

J2L06GT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfergel View Post
Hmmm. Wonder if this is what causing my occasional issue. If I drive on the interstate with the air conditioner on (sometimes not) and hit an exit ramp and get to a stop sign, it will hesitate on take off sometimes. Like it dies quickly.
That is the exact thing that happened with mine.
Had pump replaced on TSB a few years back, never had problem again.
J2L06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #49
mfergel
forum member

mfergel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2L06GT View Post
That is the exact thing that happened with mine.
Had pump replaced on TSB a few years back, never had problem again.
This is good to know. Thanks.
C&L Intake, Diablosport Tune, Roush Springs (1/1.25), 18" STR 609's, J&M U/L Control Arms, J&M Adjustable Panhard, U/L Strut Braces (Front), Raxiom Smoked Tails (w/sequentials), Cervini Ram Air Hood, SHR Decklid
mfergel is offline   Reply With Quote