Koni Strut groan and rattle

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I just installed these Koni str.t struts a month or two ago. Less than 3k miles on these strut. Now while going over the smallest bump in the road it makes a rattle and groan (rubbing) noise.

I isolated the noise to the driver side.

Loosen and re-torqued the sway bar link bolt on that strut. Same noise would happen. I jacked the strut up under the A-arm while the car was on jack stands. The noise would not happen on compression; but definitely made the groan on rebound.

I can't believe this strut has gone bad with under 3k on it and no aggressive driving as of yet.

Car has Steeda HD strut mount plates so I really doubt it's the strut mounts.

Anybody else run into this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Stethoscope into different parts when recreating the noise to pinpoint. Did you loosen and retighten the control arm bolts? I've been told to torque those at ride height instead of unloaded.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Don't have a stethoscope. I still have the stock strut assembled with stock spring. I think I'll try that too.

I didn't loosen the bolts from the spindle to the strut but I check to see if they were tight and they were tight as hell.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Use a long screwdriver, put the tip on various places, with the handle to your ear.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
It barely happens at higher speeds (above 45mph). But very loud on decel, cruising low speed, and turning. Turning is when it's at it loudest I think

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
Try unbolting the sway bar end links (and tie it against the struts) and take a drive. I've seen OEM end links goes bad with relatively low miles.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I may try this. But I'm feeling like it's not the sway bar end links. The groan is bad on decompression by jacking the a-arm and releasing.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Video of the noise from just pressing down on the front end of the car.

No noise from passenger side, all of its on the driver's side.

Really thinking about Strange Single Adjustables

Last edited:

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
That is odd. My STR.T's have been flawless for over 20K. Good thing about Koni is they do warranty their products for life. Have you sent them the videos?

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I still have the email from LMR for them. Koni either wants you to send the strut back in to be evaluated or they offer a replacement for half retail price. I bought them when they had them on special.

kona302

forum member
Reaction score
The strut is bad for sure, press down on the fender to check the rebound. (mine was slow and sluggish). However they should have a warranty, I brought mine new when I had them and one of them had failed with the first 100 miles. I jacked up the arm the same way you did and heard the same noise. You'll still have to pay for shipping and the noise may or may not go away. Mine were always noisy, but they worked. Ive always steered people away from these.

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
I still have the email from LMR for them. Koni either wants you to send the strut back in to be evaluated or they offer a replacement for half retail price. I bought them when they had them on special.

They refund you once they get the strut back. You just have to pay for shipping to them.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
What exactly is the control arm TSB?

It literally started with the Koni install. I installed all this the week of mustang week.

Last edited:

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Goes up silent but just a slow resonating groan when releases. Sounds like plumbing in a old house.

jp1seattle

Reaction score
It's a bad strut. Konis are known for that. I made the mistake of buying oranges and swapped them out for Bilsteins within a month. Your options are to pull them out and send them back, or buy new then send them back and get a credit.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
It's a bad strut. Konis are known for that. I made the mistake of buying oranges and swapped them out for Bilsteins within a month. Your options are to pull them out and send them back, or buy new then send them back and get a credit.

No they are not. I spoke to Sam Strano at length before buying the components for my suspension and koni's aren't known for putting out a bad strut. Sure it happens with that much volume in production but it isn't common. Bilstein makes excellent products and may be more geared toward performance then a entry level dampner like the STR.T but if you are looking for a good upgrade over stock and want to use a lowering spring and not spend $800 to do it the koni's are perfect. Especially if you DD the car. Yellows are a better choice and on par with some of Bilsteins offerings as well.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I have heard more issues with the koni's now I that I find myself researching into them. Wish I done that before hand. But its could be from the sheer volume.

Tomorrow I removing the sway bar then test drive. If that doesnt do a damn thing, I'll reinstall the stock assembly then test drive. If the noise goes away, I'll get new struts. Question is what struts.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back