DSS driveshaft took a dump on me ??

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Well, that's DS for fricking sure.....You don't get ringing bell sounds from busted rear ends or trans.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
How many miles is on this DS?

Installed 3/2013 at 10,092 miles.
Car now has about 35k on it

So about 25k miles on it

Car got the blower installed at about 22-24k miles, drag radials a couple thousand miles later

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it...stuff breaks. It is indeed disappointing that you got so few miles out of it, but send it to DSS and let them send you a new one (hopefully at no cost to you other than return shipping) and you should be up-and-running.

I have Skwerl's old T56 MAgnum XL DSS and it has worked flawlessly, so I suspect yours lacked lube, or had bad bearings, or who knows what. DSS certainly does not make the internals that you were showing in the video (bearings, etc.) - they simply design and weld the shaft but source the other parts (that failed) from elsewhere...so it may not be their fault other than being the seller of the completed assembly so they take the hit from the inferior 3rd party sourced giblets.

Let us know how it plays out. I wouldn't judge DSS until they have a chance to see this and respond.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Shane, the T56 came with a Dynotech driveshaft. I had a DSS with the stock 3650 transmission.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it...stuff breaks. It is indeed disappointing that you got so few miles out of it, but send it to DSS and let them send you a new one (hopefully at no cost to you other than return shipping) and you should be up-and-running.

I have Skwerl's old T56 MAgnum XL DSS and it has worked flawlessly, so I suspect yours lacked lube, or had bad bearings, or who knows what. DSS certainly does not make the internals that you were showing in the video (bearings, etc.) - they simply design and weld the shaft but source the other parts (that failed) from elsewhere...so it may not be their fault other than being the seller of the completed assembly so they take the hit from the inferior 3rd party sourced giblets.

Let us know how it plays out. I wouldn't judge DSS until they have a chance to see this and respond.

They have a 1 year warranty , it's not gonna be a free repair ... and if that's how they built it the first time, I don't want to deal with their repair ...

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Gabe was lowered and didn't check the pinion angle. That it lasted as long as it did means he was probably just barely in or out of spec.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Shane, the T56 came with a Dynotech driveshaft. I had a DSS with the stock 3650 transmission.

Aaaaahhhhh, I stand corrected. Thanks. You would think I know what is on my car, but when you start modding mods, it is easy to lose track.

To be fair, Gabe was lowered and didn't check the pinion angle. That it lasted as long as it did means he was probably just barely in or out of spec.

Good point. Out of spec could have caused U joints to hit limits.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score

As Tob just mentioned on the svtp thread,

Pinion angle, even only "slightly out of spec" should be a non-issue for a CV joint. DSS states as such on their own site...

Quote Originally Posted by DSS:
...with the CV in the rear there is no need to change pinion angle on lowered cars.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As Tob just mentioned on the svtp thread,

The grease, to my eye, just looks like it has been under heat for a while. They list the specs for a reason. I just think calling a product bad when it may not have been installed to spec is a bridge to far.

EDIT: I guess they say you don't have to check the angle, so you did install to spec. Just seen so many issues that I would never have installed without being checked.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man, I want a lighter driveshaft, but I see so much crap like this that it makes me just stay with the stock depleted uranium slug.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The grease, to my eye, just looks like it has been under heat for a while. They list the specs for a reason. I just think calling a product bad when it may not have been installed to spec is a bridge to far.

EDIT: I guess they say you don't have to check the angle, so you did install to spec. Just seen so many issues that I would never have installed without being checked.

The installation instructions as posted on AM's site, from DSS:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/dss-aluminum-driveshaft-1114gt-cust-install.html

The only requirement they have is at the back of the car, with the car on the ground or on a drive-on lift, to measure this :

driveshaft_msrmnts.jpg

Mine was at 3 3/4", right at the max of the allowable range.
I DO wish it was more in the middle of the range, especially since I have friends with DSS shafts that had the same measurement.
Kinda makes you wonder why DSS just doesn't build the shafts so they fall more in the middle of that range, since the cars tend to pretty much all be the same

My shaft as measured some time after the install:

2013-05-08_DSS-ds.jpg

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
I went with Shaftmasters for the reason I can change out the U-joints when I need to and they are grease able. They will probable have to cut the end off and weld in a new one. You might have them look at the other end while they have it.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I went with Shaftmasters for the reason I can change out the U-joints when I need to and they are grease able. They will probable have to cut the end off and weld in a new one. You might have them look at the other end while they have it.

Yeah I'm gonna have them check it out end-to-end, and re-balance it.

I'm also hoping that they'll be able to add some grease fittings

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna have them check it out end-to-end, and re-balance it.

I'm also hoping that they'll be able to add some grease fittings

Good job posting info and pics on your situation. It is nice if you have someone local that can do quality driveshaft work.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to see this Gabe, hope you can get her repaired soon.

Makes me weary about having a DSS under my car.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I had the CF one on mine, and didn't have any vibrations. The max I hit on my car was about 150-155. Even though their site said you don't have to worry about pinion angle, I still had mine checked and adjusted just to be safe. I bought mine in December of 2013, so probably had about 40k+ miles on it (DD, Drag, HPDE, and Autocross).

Obviously it is a failed joint because the joints on mine didn't even move that much, even when I recently swapped it to my friend's car about a month ago.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Shaftmasters here as well. Zero issues. That DSS shaft looks like the bearing was out of spec and just over time ate itself up with it being at the max allowable amount of end play. Nothing you could have done Gabe. That should be replaced for no cost but we all know that won't happen. Sucks

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back