Don't like your hood? Cut a hole in it!

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Been kicking this idea around for a while. It's a take off on DusterRT's heat extractor mod. This is a modified 2010 GT500 heat extractor. Some of the pictures the angle of the camera makes the extractor look crooked, but trust me, it isn't.

These pictures aren't in order. I may still add some button head bolts to help the doulble sided tape do it's job.

The body shop owes me a paint job on the hood, so i decided i'd try this mod out and see if i like it. if not i may still buy a 2.5 cervini's cowl hood

updated pictures in post #9. removed the sticky tape and mounted with rivets instead.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if you like it cool, but i do not. all that matters is what you think

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i already pulled it apart and removed the double sided tape....looks better mounted with blacked out rivets instead.

you should've made 2 of them ! plenty of space ... :2cents:
i thought about it, but this way didn't require any cutting of the hood bracing underneath.

i'll post some pics later of it with the tape removed and with rivets instead. like i said before, i'm not sure i like it that much yet either, but i'm just sort of delaying buying a cowl hood and this seemed like a good interim step

if you like it cool, but i do not. all that matters is what you think

i know it's not for everyone....and it takes some huevos to cut a hole in a virgin piece of sheet metal like that!

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
updated pictures

i cut the ends off of the 2010 gt500 heat extractor. there's about another six inches on each side of the piece that i mounted to the hood that i removed. it sits quite a bit better attached with rivets instead of the sticky tape. also it's very functional....tons of heat escapes when you stop the car and put your hand over the vent

also, the rivets are blacked out...they don't show up in person as much as they do in the pictures

Last edited:

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
to be honest, in person it looks like it goes better with the hood than in the pics. you don't really get a good perspective with the close up pictures

JimC

Reaction score
Looks good, if I didn't have the hood scoop I'd look into this option.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\/\ yes it's kinda like 20" wheels...some guys like them, some guys don't like them, at least not on mustangs....that's the category i'm in also

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
did you do anything to route water away from the vent? or are you going to let it drip all over the injectors, manifold and electrical connectors lol

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
did you do anything to route water away from the vent? or are you going to let it drip all over the injectors, manifold and electrical connectors lol

not yet, however it's not really a necessity for me....i bought a beater and the mustang hasn't seen any rain in a while. my original thought regarding this however was to fashion a piece of sheet metal (painted, of course) and lay it in the opening and attach it with wing nuts from the bottom side of the hood to prevent water (at least excessive amounts of water) from entering thru the opening.

as far as electronics are concerned there really isn't anything back there except for a couple of cop's and injectors as you said. everything else is much further forward on the motor.

if i keep this mod long term i may also look at fashioning a tray to route water over the sides of the motor as you mentioned

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good job, bet it works great, and looks good with that color in person.
I also have a hood scoop and saw the thread where a guy cut out under the the scoop to let air in but i kinda like the idea of the extractor better. I have also entertained the idea of doing a cdc shaker hood scoop and moding it to route it the turbo intake but that would be a ways away if i ever try that.

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
nice man , i would like 2 a little better , but good job on the install !!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back