if you change ur flywheel

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
and get a check engine light.. i got ur answer!!!!!!

the flywheels are clocked in these cars and the computer knows it... if a new flywheel is installed and the new flywheel isnt "learned" to the computer.. it throws codes that it sees as a misfire.I picked up my car today and got a few miles down the road and the cel came on... after a few hours at the dealership the tech showed me what he thought it was... and he was right... car runs kick ass again and the mcleod rst clutch feels just like stock with engagement and pedal feel.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
Yes the flywheel only goes on one way due to the bolt pattern but there is no "learning of the new flywheel". The crank sensor is on the back of the crank/seal area as is the trigger wheel but the flywheel does not play a part in that at all.

I just installed my Mcleod clutch and flywheel yesterday and didnt have any problem. I think the tech at your dealership might have been just guessing. What were the actual codes that were set?

JJ

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
How do you put a round flywheel on the wrong way? unless there is some kind of nub of metal that should have been inline with the stock flywheel?

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
it had misfire on start up and number 4 and number 7 misfire codes.. he showed me the bulletin from ford.. it says that if a new flywheel is put on it must be relearned.... i dont know... im not a tech but 10 min later i was in my car and the cel hasnt come on since.. whatever he did worked.

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Never heard of anything like this. We put a new flywheel and clutch in and no issues at all. No light, no nothing.

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
he showed me the ford bulletin for it.. it wasnt something that he made up... after that i was on my way home in 20 min and i have put almost 100 miles on the car tonight with no light. so whatever he did worked.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
he showed me the ford bulletin for it.. it wasnt something that he made up... after that i was on my way home in 20 min and i have put almost 100 miles on the car tonight with no light. so whatever he did worked.

You said
after a few hours at the dealership the tech showed me what he thought it was

So you were there for a couple of hours after you went back while he tried to figure it out? If so I have a feeling something else was causing your issue.

I am seriously interested in seeing this bulletin from Ford about this "flywheel relearn". Considering that the flywheel has nothing to do with the crank sensor and has noway of telling the computer where its located I find it very hard to believe what your tech told you.

If there is a bulletin please ask him to give you a copy of it so you can post it here. I just dont want people to read this and get worried about a flywheel replacement problem when there most likely isnt one.

Thanks,

JJ

JDM74

forum member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a Ford tech and have seen the flywheel relearn procedure myself on his laptop as well as watched him do it with a tech II after replacing the clutch in a 2011 GT at his dealership. I don't know if it will throw a code or not if you don't do it, but I know for a fact that it does exist.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a Ford tech and have seen the flywheel relearn procedure myself on his laptop as well as watched him do it with a tech II after replacing the clutch in a 2011 GT at his dealership. I don't know if it will throw a code or not if you don't do it, but I know for a fact that it does exist.

Interesting. I am curious about this and hope more information can be shared. I'll have to contact my buddy who is a lead tech/foreman and ask him.

I guess since the crank sensor is at the back of the crankshaft near the flywheel that there might be some way the sensor picks up a different "balance" if you want to put it that way, from a different flywheel?

Thanks for your input,

JJ

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
Yes the flywheel only goes on one way due to the bolt pattern but there is no "learning of the new flywheel". The crank sensor is on the back of the crank/seal area as is the trigger wheel but the flywheel does not play a part in that at all.

I just installed my Mcleod clutch and flywheel yesterday and didnt have any problem. I think the tech at your dealership might have been just guessing. What were the actual codes that were set?

JJ

I'm interested in how the McLeod does as compared to the one in mine you experienced. I'm pretty sure the racket mine makes is not the norm. Yet nobody can figure it out.

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score
I Just ran Oasis and here is the SSM
21474 SOME VEHICLES COULD EXHIBIT MISFIRE CODES AFTER CERTAIN REPAIRS - MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES
SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ON BOARD DIAGNSTICS (OBD) MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE LEARNING CAPABILITIES MAY EXPERIENCE THE MIL ILLUMINATING ACCOMPANIED BY ONE OR MORE ENGINE MISFIRE CODES P030X IF THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR PROFILE (MP_LRN) IS NOT RELEARNED FOLLOWING CERTAIN HARD ENGINE REPAIRS. THE MP_LRN DATA IS NO LONGER CLEARED WITH A KAM RESET OR BATTERY DISCONNECT. REPAIRS THAT REQUIRE RELEARNING THE MP_LRN DATA: CRANK SENSOR,CRANK SENSOR, TRIGGER WHEEL, ENGINE TIMING, DAMPER, CRANKSHAFT, ENGINE, FLYWHEEL/FLEXPLATE, CLUTCH (MANUAL TRANS), PRESSURE PLATE (MANUAL TRANS),TORQUE CONVERTER (AUTO TRANS). FROM THE IDS TOOLBOX SELECT "POWERTRAIN", THEN "SERVICE FUNCTIONS", THEN "MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE CORRECTION" AND FOLLOW THE PROMPTS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/26/2010

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score
Also This

21463 2010-2011 5.0L/6.2L - MISFIRE CODES P0300-P0316
SOME 2011 MUSTANG VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.0L ENGINE AND 2010 F150 AND 2011 SUPER DUTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.2L ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ILLUMINATING ACCOMPANIED BY ONE OR MORE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0300 THROUGH P0316. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR PROFILE (MP_LRN) BE RELEARNED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE PC/ED PINPOINT TESTS FOR THESE CODES. FROM THE IDS TOOLBOX SELECT "POWERTRAIN", THEN "SERVICE FUNCTIONS", THEN "MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE CORRECTION" AND FOLLOW THE PROMPTS. IF ONE OR MORE OF THE MISFIRE CODES RETURN AFTER PERFORMING THE RELEARN PROCEDURE, REFER TO THE PC/ED PINPOINT TESTS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/17/2010

iwaxmyjimmy

forum member
Reaction score

Are you a GM tech or something?? I am only asking because GM uses a Tech II, Ford uses the IDS (integrated diagnostic software). Just something I picked up on. Also Ford has been using a crank trigger on the flywheel for some time now. I had to put a flywheel in a 2000ish escape one time b/c some shade tree mechanic used the wrong year flywheel and it wasn't picking up a crank signal. Also I know the 3.9 DOHC engines in the Lincoln LS and Latest model thunder chickens had the crank sensor mounted on the oil pan.

JDM74

forum member
Reaction score
Are you a GM tech or something?? I am only asking because GM uses a Tech II, Ford uses the IDS (integrated diagnostic software). Just something I picked up on. Also Ford has been using a crank trigger on the flywheel for some time now. I had to put a flywheel in a 2000ish escape one time b/c some shade tree mechanic used the wrong year flywheel and it wasn't picking up a crank signal. Also I know the 3.9 DOHC engines in the Lincoln LS and Latest model thunder chickens had the crank sensor mounted on the oil pan.

Nope, not a GM tech but I am very familiar with GM stuff and that is what my primary automotive exposure has been with. My Mustang is the first Ford I have owned and I didn't realize that they use IDS vs. a Tech II. So, let me clarify that I saw my buddy use the IDS to perform the crank sensor relearn process on a 2011 Mustang GT.:thumb:

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Nope, not a GM tech but I am very familiar with GM stuff and that is what my primary automotive exposure has been with. My Mustang is the first Ford I have owned and I didn't realize that they use IDS vs. a Tech II. So, let me clarify that I saw my buddy use the IDS to perform the crank sensor relearn process on a 2011 Mustang GT.:thumb:

hey man these is great info so please help me out here. If i want to change the flywheel and clutch for a high performance one, what will i need to do as far as the flywheel relearn process.

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score
hey man these is great info so please help me out here. If i want to change the flywheel and clutch for a high performance one, what will i need to do as far as the flywheel relearn process.

If you have a prolbem PM me and i will help you out.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting information for sure. Several of us here have already replace our clutches and flywheels with no problem so I'm curious as to what it takes to get this to happen.

I'm sure I'll be installing more of these clutches soon so if I run into this issue I will surely report back.

JJ

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting information for sure. Several of us here have already replace our clutches and flywheels with no problem so I'm curious as to what it takes to get this to happen.

I'm sure I'll be installing more of these clutches soon so if I run into this issue I will surely report back.

JJ

If you have a prolbem PM me and i will help you out.

my clutch is good for now. The clutch pedal stayed down only one time and then is been working good but i know if i keep running the car hard i know it will die soon so i want to be ready specially when i might be spending over $900 dollars on that.

Back