Need to lighten clutch pedal effort

MK2010GB

Reaction score
I am recovering from a serious back injury that has left me with nerve damage and weakness in my lower legs. I can still drive my 2010 GT manual, but it is a bit of a chore with the clutch pedal effort.

I really enjoy driving a manual, so before I give up and go with an automatic I’d like to look into a softer clutch. I’d probably need about a 25-30% reduction in pedal effort to make it enjoyable again.

Researching previous threads it sounds like the McLeod RST is lighter. However, my car makes stock power so I don’t really need any additional clamping force and the RST is probably overkill. Wondering if anyone has gotten an aftermarket single disc with less pedal effort that they were satisfied with.

Also, how much does the clutch pedal effort change as the clutch ages? My car has 60K miles, but I am not the original owner so I don’t know how much abuse it has been through. Wondering if a new stock setup would change the feel by much.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
These cars have a hydraulically -actuated throw out bearing so you really won't notice much, if any, difference in clutch pressure plates. It isn't like the old days of an actual clutch cable connected to the throw out bearing arm where it was pure leg power that moved it.

But, for what is worth... I love my McLeod RST, and it drives / feels like it came from the factory.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

MK2010GB

Reaction score
These cars have a hydraulically -actuated throw out bearing so you really won't notice much, if any, difference in clutch pressure plates. It isn't like the old days of an actual clutch cable connected to the throw out bearing arm where it was pure leg power that moved it.

But, for what is worth... I love my McLeod RST, and it drives / feels like it came from the factory.

How does the RST pedal effort compare to stock?

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
It feels exactly the same... Again... Hydraulic throwout bearing. It's like a tractor... Doesn't matter what weight you put in the bucket... The controls feels the same to the operator.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have used a couple different clutches setups in my 2010 GT. They most assuredly do not all feel the same. I’ve used the McLeod Street Extreme single disc clutch and pressure plate on a McLeod steel flywheel and it was a monster. Very strong pedal pressure and a bit much in traffic. Outstanding lock up. Next, on a friends advice I purchased a McLeod RXT Dual Disc clutch system and put it on a freshly resurfaced steel flywheel. This setup requires less effort to push than the stalk clutch. No question about it. Lock up is smooth and easy to control. No chatter in the pedal. I would bet the RST feels the same and has similar leg effort requirements. Just about all the clutch and pressure plate systems for these cars use the same hydraulic throwout bearing so the difference in pedal effort will be in the pressure plate. The dual disc systems don’t need as much pressure because they have more surfaces area. Overkill! What’s wrong with that?

7D891892-70B2-4A56-A1A1-CBB0A9AD8CC4.png

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Next, on a friends advice I purchased a McLeod RXT Dual Disc clutch system and put it on a freshly resurfaced steel flywheel. This setup requires less effort to push than the stalk clutch. No question about it. Lock up is smooth and easy to control. No chatter in the pedal. I would bet the RST feels the same and has similar leg effort requirements. Just about all the clutch and pressure plate systems for these cars use the same hydraulic throwout bearing so the difference in pedal effort will be in the pressure plate. The dual disc systems don’t need as much pressure because they have more surfaces area. Overkill! What’s wrong with that?

Totally agree. I've had the McLeod RXT on my car for 8 years. Yes, it's overkill but I wanted the dual disc set up for its stock like pedal effort. It'll be on the heavy side no matter what you do but I can drive smoothly in stop start traffic without killing my left quadriceps. You soon get used to it.

MK2010GB

Reaction score
I have used a couple different clutches setups in my 2010 GT. They most assuredly do not all feel the same. I’ve used the McLeod Street Extreme single disc clutch and pressure plate on a McLeod steel flywheel and it was a monster. Very strong pedal pressure and a bit much in traffic. Outstanding lock up. Next, on a friends advice I purchased a McLeod RXT Dual Disc clutch system and put it on a freshly resurfaced steel flywheel. This setup requires less effort to push than the stalk clutch. No question about it. Lock up is smooth and easy to control. No chatter in the pedal. I would bet the RST feels the same and has similar leg effort requirements. Just about all the clutch and pressure plate systems for these cars use the same hydraulic throwout bearing so the difference in pedal effort will be in the pressure plate. The dual disc systems don’t need as much pressure because they have more surfaces area. Overkill! What’s wrong with that?

View attachment 87862
Great info, thank you.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back