3rd to 4th gear fast shift lockout condition?

Reaction score
I was at the track tonight. Did a quick 3rd to 4th gear shift at 7k+/- RPM and i was locked out of 4th gear. Seemingly the car over-reved. I tried putting it back into 4th because maybe i let out of the clutch too soon, or missed the gear? Cool no problem. Well i noticed when i tried to press the gas it was sluggish and did not want to go anywhere. Thought maybe i was too slow for fourth and back out and put it into second. No dice, same result. Looked at the instrument panel and i had the service engine crescent wrench present. The car seemed to be in some sort of "limp-mode" and would not rev or go in any gear at any RPM. Came to a stop, turned the car off. Waited a few seconds maybe a minute, cranked the car back up and it was normal. Goes into every gear like normal, shifts normal. Mechanically fine. Is this a safety lockout issue to ensure over-reving does not hurt the engine, or what? Comments welcomed. Ruined my track experience, came home to post about it after it happened to see if anyone has had any other issue of the sort

Falcon Fixer

Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky.
The complete piece of junk transmission in my 2011 GT will lock me out of ANY at completely random intervals.
Going up or down through the gears.
The trans from my car car will be a lawn ornament come springtime.

Why Ford chose to put this JUNK in the GT is stooooooopid

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I remember JJ from Woodbine Motorsports complaining about this issue while on the dyno with his 2011. From what I remember him saying is that Ford programmed the vehicle to do that to help with fuel economy.(I could be wrong). But I remember him having this issue. I want to say he got the issue resolved by working with SCT to tune it "off".

When I bump into him again, I'll have to bring it up.

ace50421

forum member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me tonight at the track. Tried hitting 4th in the redline and wouldnt go. Car ended up going into second and about killed myself.

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me tonight at the track. Tried hitting 4th in the redline and wouldnt go. Car ended up going into second and about killed myself.

I want to say that happened. I'm an experienced driver, and i want to say the car tried going into second. The car overrevved and the computer went into some kind of limp mode.

Wish I Had a Nice Car

forum member
Reaction score
had that happen to me once, but it was when i was stock and on the 235 pirrellis. Was spinning a little at the top of 3rd then went to throw it into 4th and the car freaked out. Felt like the rear-end locked up a little. Car went into limp mode, read an Over-Speed code or something close. Turned the car off, turned it back on and it was fine. Havent had it do it since..

sleepy88

forum member
Reaction score
Have had this happen a few times as well. Prior to this car never had the issue with any of my other stangs or i would say it must be my driving. After getting the tune it hasnt happened again but could just be coincidence

PBstallis

forum member
Reaction score
wow thank god im not the only this happened to,i was hitting hard on an on ramp and this happened,thought i was gunna die

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand how tuning affects the shifting of a manual. Other than of course turning off the skip shift. I've missed 4th before, it just takes a second to get it back in there when you do.

05 gt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is any help to you guys, I have an 05 mustang gt 5mt. I wasn't new to driving a 5 speed but this was my first manual trans mustang. There were a couple of times I was at the top of 3rd and going to hit 4th but I accidentally put it in 2nd. It scared the shit out of me but the second time I accidentally put it in 2nd gear like that , I noticed before I let the clutch pedal all the way out.

Like I said I don't know if this is related to any of y'alls problem

Reaction score
I don't understand how tuning affects the shifting of a manual. Other than of course turning off the skip shift. I've missed 4th before, it just takes a second to get it back in there when you do.

Did you not read the thread? I was concerned about the car going into some kind of a limp mode. I've missed shifts before in previous mustangs and this has never happened.

JV doose

forum member
Reaction score
this just happened to me today too and twice. i know it wasnt a missed shift too. i was going 3rd - 4th but my clutch pedal stayed engaged but it did not go in to limp mode. i just got it tuned last night i wonder if that had something to do with it cause it had never done that before.

Reaction score
this just happened to me today too and twice. i know it wasnt a missed shift too. i was going 3rd - 4th but my clutch pedal stayed engaged but it did not go in to limp mode. i just got it tuned last night i wonder if that had something to do with it cause it had never done that before.

well, that's a whole other issue and TSB. You need to take it to ford and get the TSB done. Something about the return spring is not strong enough to return the pedal due to the centrifugal force of the flywheel/clutch.

JV doose

forum member
Reaction score
well, that's a whole other issue and TSB. You need to take it to ford and get the TSB done. Something about the return spring is not strong enough to return the pedal due to the centrifugal force of the flywheel/clutch.

even if its only happened then?

jmatero

Reaction score
Take it in. There are some major issues with the clutch/tranny in these cars. I'm going through it now. Going on my third repair... first they replaced the flywheel/clutch assembly..... nothing. Then, they had it 3 days and finally Ford told them to add a friction modifier to the fluid. This helped when the car warms up but now I'm getting grinding 1-2, 2-3 and 5-6.

JV doose

forum member
Reaction score
it grinds a bit going from 1-2 & 2-3 sometimes untill its warm... so i am going to take it in ... quick question is i just put on a o/r x-pipe/tune/cai ... i know i have to switch the tune back to stock ... do i need to have everything switched back to stock or just the tune

Back